Garmin Communicator causing Firefox to crash? (Read 1138 times)

Former runner

I think I've tried about everything I could think of but every time I used the GPS import with the Garmin Communicator plugin it would eventually crash my Firefox. Here are the specifics: XP Home SP3, Firefox 3.0.7, Communicator 2.6.4 The actual import function seemed to work fine. Every time I uploaded the data to RA it was only a matter of time before FF would crash. It would usually happen some time after the workout was uploaded to RA and showed up in the list ready to be saved. I'm quite positive that it was the Communicator plugin that was causing the problem. If I acted fast and saved the workout I could restart FF and everything would be fine. Once the workouts were saved I could edit them without any problems. I made one last attempt tonight by disabling every FF plugin and extension with the exception of the Communicator plugin and it still crashed. I may just turn off the Communicator plugin and try the .tcx file import instead.

Ross

eric :)

cameraready, Before you uninstall the plugin, can we try something? Try importing your data again. As soon as everything is uploaded, restart FF. Wait several minutes to be sure that the data is processed. Instead of clicking on "GPS Import" on the toolbar, click on the Tools tab, then the "Import data" link. It brings you to the file import page. It will list all the data awaiting your approval but without loading the communicator. If it doesn't crash FF, then you know it's the communicator for sure. I'm not sure what you or I can do about it though...

Former runner

That seemed to prevent the crash. I guess I'll just have to submit a bug report with Garmin since it's not a RA issue. Thanks for your help.

Ross

eric :)

A web page should never crash the browser. If it does, then there's a problem with the browser or one of its plugins. Have you tried reinstalling FF and then communicator? I don't have any experience with browser or plugin development, but I suspect there was some plugin registration issue.