Marathon Training Scale-Back Weeks? (Read 797 times)

Hawt and sexy

See, I just have the designated Boobie area. The sports bra holds up the HRM just fine. If I am ever pregnant, I will totally geek out with the HRM. I would totally want to know what the new stress does to my HR.

I'm touching your pants.

A Saucy Wench

It was kind of cool. The first trimester you cant keep your heart rate low for anything. Breathing causes HR spikes. I was in the middle of trying out MAF to see if I liked it and was getting pissed off because over the course of 10 days my maf pace dropped from 11:20 to 13:50 mm. I got really ticked off at the HRM thinking it was full of crap and ripped it off mid run and came thiiiiiiiiis close to hurling it in to the bushes. I took the pee test 3 days later. The 3rd trimester you CANT get a high HR. I went out and did some intervals just to try one day and my normal max HR is ~ 188 and then I was incapable of getting above ~ 164. (clearly I did not follow the "stay below 140" mythocrap) MTA pregnancy mythocrap, not Maff Wink

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

“Zoomy, I want you to look at my log and notice my current training paces. After you have done that I want you to look at my PRs and compare them to your own. Then I want you to ask yourself if you are in the same shape I am currently. If the answer is no, I want to ask you one question: What are you doing running at the same training pace I am? Slow down. I have a feeling most of your problems will go away once you slow down. You seem to be closer to the shape I was in about Sept./Oct. of '06. Look at my training paces then, that is close to where you should be doing easy runs pace wise.” Willamona; I’m a big advocate of running easy on our easy days, but I think you are over doing it by quite a bit. Your training pace is much too slow, imo. If you were doing more threshold work you might get by with it but you aren’t. Some longer intervals and/or tempos at 10k-HM pace would probably make a substantial difference for you . These aren’t even considered “speedwork” in the traditional sense and are not that hard to recover from. I hope you are at least doing strides. If I punch in your 10k or marathon times, both which were run recently, I get 9:00-9:20 as an easy pace for you. I applaud you on your steady mileage, btw. http://runworks.com/calculator.html http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm Zoom Zoom; I know this going to be like waving the red flag, but my biggest question for you would be why you want to persue the marathon. Why not wait until you can handle the training? I can understand you wanting to cut back because of the injury problem, but you really don’t have anything to cut back from. The peak mileage I see in your log is not nearly enough to do much more than survive a marathon. There are so many good runners how don’t run marathons. I’m not trying to give you a hard time. I just think it would be so much better for your running to work on getting over the hump with the injuries and building up your mileage before thinking about marathons.
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoom Zoom; I know this going to be like waving the red flag, but my biggest question for you would be why you want to persue the marathon. Why not wait until you can handle the training? I can understand you wanting to cut back because of the injury problem, but you really don’t have anything to cut back from. The peak mileage I see in your log is not nearly enough to do much more than survive a marathon. There are so many good runners how don’t run marathons. I’m not trying to give you a hard time. I just think it would be so much better for your running to work on getting over the hump with the injuries and building up your mileage before thinking about marathons.
          Higdon's Intermediate II plan is pretty close to what I cobbled together. I've been running ~30mpw consistently for several months, now, including outdoors during a particularly brutal Winter and 1325 total miles in '07. Based upon my HM PR most marathon time estimates are ~4:20...granted, I'm still pretty newbie at this, but I would hardly deem that merely "surviving" a marathon, even if my finish is closer to 4:30-4:45. I'm planning my peak weeks in the 50 mile neighborhood with at least 2-3 20 milers. That's pretty standard intermediate-level stuff from what I have seen. And until this knee issue came on there was NO question in my mind that I could handle the training (and given that the knee issue is hardly noticeable most of the time and definitely better when I'm consistent with the quad work there's still little question--probably no more than any other first-time marathon trainer would have). I've already done a 40 mile week without any issue and I registered for the race months ago. I still am certain that continuing to strengthen my relatively weak quads is key to keeping any knee issues at bay--this would be true for training for a marathon or a 5k distance.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just my opinion Zoomy, but it's not like you just started to run and had some crazy thought about running a marathon; you've been running for years. You don't need to log 80 miles a week to run a marathon, you just need to pull together a solid safe plan and have the base miles to support your plan. You have that. As far as just "surviving" the marathon - well you won't run it in 3 hours, but you'll enjoy the experience and be proud of your accomplishment once you finish. Don't worry about doing every run and every mile of your training plan, but listen to your body and how you feel. You'll be fine.
            Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"
            Scout7

Either the knee is an issue, or it isn't. If it's an issue, then you take care of it first, THEN think about running a marathon. If it's not an issue, then what's the concern? Do you need a built-in cut-back or rest week? Depends. If you train mostly at an easier pace, then probably not. If you start to feel fatigued, or develop nagging pains, then backing off is advisable. If you've got high volume and high intensity going (relative to the person), then a rest day, or reduced volume week, could be worthwhile. In your specific instance, the only thing that you need to worry about is your knee. If it still pops up, then you figure out the cause and deal with it, race be damned, before it becomes a full-blown issue. But, you do what you feel is right by you. As for the term "surviving a race", this is not a factor of time. I survived my first, and was under 3:30. It sucked, I almost quit a number of times, I hurt all over, and I took weeks to fully recover. Surviving is not a matter of how fast you finish. It's how horrible it feels getting there.
              mikeymike

I think 90 seconds per mile slower than MP is extremely slow for easy days that are not the day after a really hard workout. I also think the slower a person is the closer their easy pace will be to their marathon pace. And to the original question on cut-back weeks, I've never found a real need to cut back on mileage during a marathon buildup. I'll take weeks where I cut back on intensity and just run mileage, but I rarely see a need to intentionally cut back on mileage. As always, ymmv.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

I do cutback weeks. Sometimes it is because of other things...like I had the HM this week so I had lower mileage but higher intensity. Sometimes I just find it mentally better to help me push through a tough week if I know I get to relax a little the next week. I run ~ 90 seconds slower most of the time. I would find 60 seconds slower challenging for an easy run pace and very challenging for a long run pace. But then I am not one of those people who has a tendency to run too fast. Although I used to be. I do think there is a point where if it feels easy, its easy and dont worry about it so much. I tend to not care what my easy run pace is and only focus on my "quality" run paces. Except if I notice a sluggishness or a trend, then I will try and pick it up. But I rarely have to try and run slower. I run with someone, we talk up a storm...that is easy enough.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hawt and sexy

Willamona; I’m a big advocate of running easy on our easy days, but I think you are over doing it by quite a bit. Your training pace is much too slow, imo. If you were doing more threshold work you might get by with it but you aren’t. Some longer intervals and/or tempos at 10k-HM pace would probably make a substantial difference for you . These aren’t even considered “speedwork” in the traditional sense and are not that hard to recover from. I hope you are at least doing strides. If I punch in your 10k or marathon times, both which were run recently, I get 9:00-9:20 as an easy pace for you. I applaud you on your steady mileage, btw. http://runworks.com/calculator.html http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm
                    For what it's worth, 9mm is about what my easy pace is indoors on a treadmill in the a/c. Add hills and heat and pile on the minutes. I only do intervals/threshold stuff during my peak work. I will not be peaking anytime soon. I also did not ask for advice, and it is well known that I do not see eye-to-eye with Tinman and his training methods. Thanks anyway.

I'm touching your pants.

mikeymike

I run ~ 90 seconds slower most of the time.
                      Is your marathon PR not in your log? b/c according to the marathon PR in your log you run most days 45-60 seconds slower than MP. The last run I see that was 90 seconds slower was a warmup jog on 6/26.

Runners run

There is no cutback weeks in the program I'm following, however the once a week long run is cut in half every other week. eg. 16-8,18-9, 20-10,......so the weekly total does not rise every week.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Double IPA Please!

I'm bumping this because I found it very helpful to me in my recent question I posted in the other forum.. Good Points to ponder here.. mta..I think it tends to get confusing to newbies around here with the whole how fast should my easy runs be questions (yes I realize this is not why this post was started but where it ended up)- everyone seems to have their own opinion on what works for them. There seems to always be a variation of some sort and then someone else will come along and completely wipe out what you thought that you were doing was the right thing..kwim? I think it truly is ymmv type of deal. I mean anyone can look at anyone's log and pick something out wrong that they are doing. You really do have to weed through things and figure out what works best for you and your body. Good luck Zoomster!

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)