Steamtown Marathon (Read 454 times)

RhodeRunner

All, I am considering running the Steamtown Marathon this fall in order to qualify for Boston. Has anyone run it?
    JF
      This is one of my favorite race reports, if I wasn't planning to run Baystate in Lowell MA in October I think I'd be heading for Steamtown. rockenmamof5 's Steamtown Race Report

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Excellent race. Very well managed and supported. Fast course. Tenth highest BQ rate in the country....fifth highest among races with more than 1000 finishers. But you do have to be a good downhill runner or the large elevation drop in the first 8 miles can trash your quads and set you up for a very difficult last 10k. You might want to read many comments about the race here on Marathonguide.com.

Prince of Fatness

I ran my first and only marathon there last year. I can confirm this is a great race. It's well organized, and has plenty of crowd support. I think they cap the race at 2500 runners. I am not sure if it ever fills up, and I think there were about 1800 or so folks running last year. I found that to be ideal, not too crowded, but you never really feel like you are running alone. Most of the elevation drop is at miles 3 and 4. After that it is mostly flat with a few small rollers until the last few miles, where there are a couple of uphills. Honestly, the only reason these uphills are a big deal is because you have just run 23 miles. I actually found it relieving to run up them because my quads were beat up from the earlier downhills. This is usually a very fast marathon. Last year it was very warm (low 70's and humid) and the times were up. At least it was cloudy. I would run the race again and highly recommend it.

Not at it at all. 

you do have to be a good downhill runner or the large elevation drop in the first 8 miles can trash your quads and set you up for a very difficult last 10k.
            Trent posted this Steamtown elevation chart on http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/c54b5a4a18614de9aaf0e71895e1c2d0

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.