Newton Running shoes (Read 2018 times)

mikeymike

My impression of Newtons is they are primarily aimed at triathletes who really like to spend money on gear, so the price tag is actually a feature.

mta: Oh, look RunAsics already said that.  My bad.

Runners run

From what I understand, Newtons were able to gain greater traction by initially targeting the triathlon crowd as they are more willing to accept a new product like the Newton shoes (both in terms of the pool of athletes, coaching community and stores).  I'm 6-4 190 (not the avg size runner) with size 14 feet and love Newtons (starting Feb-10).  Plus 3.5 years ago I was told that I may never stand again after suffering from excruciating back pain from a failed lumber discectomy (after five months confined to a hospital bed I "miraculously" recovered -- so at this point the surgery was "successful", and because of this I'm extremely cautious about anything that could cause any twinge of back pain).  I also did not start to run until 2 years ago, and only upped my training above 15 mi p wk until Dec-09.  I was initially concerned that the shoes were too minimalistic (for someone my size and could result in an injury) -- but for me they are great!  I was getting symptoms of PF that were getting worse and worse in cushioned shoes, but when I switched to the Newtons the PF is ebbing away (I use SuperFeet in the Newton Trainer's only to deal with PF, and had used SuperFeet in my more cushioned shoes before that -- I'm neutral w/extremely high arches).  If you've ever played golf and know what it feels like to hit the "sweet spot" on a club, I get the same "bio-feedback" from these shoes when I run and mid/fore-front strike and land at my center of gravity (plus I get the same bio-feedback when I lean slightly forward as you can feel that "downward running" feel).  Every third day or so I alternate a pair of regular shoes (NB903's), and when I run in the Newton's that following day, its like they have springs in them (fr the lugs in the front) & my legs feel energized.  I've also been surprised as I'm into the low 300's in terms of mileage with two of the trainers (I was fearful with my size that they would wear out quicker).  And it really does take about a 7 to 10 days to get used to them (especially if you overstride or heel strike).

Rob

The Thunder

My impression of Newtons is they are primarily aimed at triathletes who really like to spend money on gear, so the price tag is actually a feature.

mta: Oh, look RunAsics already said that.  My bad.

I ran in a pair of these about a week ago.  Just once, to try them out.  I must admit...I liked them.  If they were $100, I'd buy a pair and toss them into the rotation.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

xhristopher

FYI... The City Sports outlet at Downtown Crossing in Boston had a few 8.5s for about $45. I watched a guy buy a pair while I was there so they might not be around long.

Quite simply, Newtons have changed my life.

I bought my first pair in June and had chronic Achilles' problems. I was about 6-0, 210, and 54 and running a couple of miles a day five days a week. And spending $150 (most basic) on a pair of shoes that DIDN'T cushion your heel was a leap of faith.

It was the greatest running shoe purchase I've made in 40 years. 

My Achilles' problems are gone. Not diminished. Gone.

I've had a couple of hamstring tweaks while learning to run again; I've found being a "long strider" my whole life probably was great when I was an 18-year-old miler, but I wish I had discovered this when I was in college. Might have saved me a whole lot of injuries and maybe made me a competitive college runner. I've developed a whole new efficiency. The shorter stride and quicker turnover takes some getting used to, but you figure it out -- the slap on the pavement gets quieter and quieter and the shoes give you feedback, too.

Two weeks ago, I bought my second pair, stepping up to the Gravity Trainers or something like that (bright red, if that helps). Yesterday, I ran 10 miles for the first time in 20 years, but perhaps the more extraordinary thing is today's bounce back in the old shoes: 3.5 easy, with absolutely no trouble.

They might not be for everybody, but Newtons are certainly for me, and I'm not cycling in any other shoes.

How slowly did you build up to using the Newtons? What argument can you make for it being thanks to the Newtons and not just thanks to the gradual adaptations your body made to doing consistent running?

Did you notice the Achilles change the first day you put a pair on or was it after several weeks that it become very comfortable?

I don't know what all being a "long strider" entails, but do you mean to say that you used to heel strike and now you don't?

A shorter stride and quicker turnover will help most people. If it took those shoes to bring about the change, then I'm happy to hear that. I'm just wondering whether these shoes help with that any more than other shoes of similar weight and heel height do.

How do you feel about the lugs on the bottom of the forefoot?

Sorry about the randomness of this post.

How slowly did you build up to using the Newtons? What argument can you make for it being thanks to the Newtons and not just thanks to the gradual adaptations your body made to doing consistent running?

I ran a mile the first day, two the second day, then three the first week. I can't honestly say I remember the progression after that (I didn't just keep going up, obviously).  The company advises you to take it slow. I guess my answer to the second is that until I did this, I wasn't able to run very consistently (although I certainly have in my life and have run one marathon), but you're right: A stride change without Newton's might have worked.

Did you notice the Achilles change the first day you put a pair on or was it after several weeks that it become very comfortable?

I wouldn't say the Achilles started feeling better the first day, but I guess my reaction is that from the get-go, they didn't feel worse when I was done with my run. I must admit, the fact that, "Hey, my Achilles aren't hurting anymore" kind of dawned on me about a month in.

I don't know what all being a "long strider" entails, but do you mean to say that you used to heel strike and now you don't?

I was a big-time heel striker with a lot of heel and Achilles problems from college on, from a time when Lydiard shoes were supposed to solve the problem (and didn't). Going from 40 miles a week in high school to over 100 my first week of college (for cross country) basically started me down the road to constant injury (and eventual "retirement") all through college. I was a 4:24 miler in high school in 1973. And yes, while I'm constantly working on it and listening to the feedback (and checking the wear patterns on the shoes), I'm much more of a midfoot striker now. You can hear (much more of a slap when you land) when it's not quite right. I also have found I tend to start to revert lengthening more when I get tired -- or do "speed" work, such as it is at my age -- and have to watch that.

A shorter stride and quicker turnover will help most people. If it took those shoes to bring about the change, then I'm happy to hear that. I'm just wondering whether these shoes help with that any more than other shoes of similar weight and heel height do.

That's a very good question. The light bulb had started to go on for me for some time, and in fact, I had some (relative) success in our spring corporate run by simply shortening my stride and letting it happen, and that was in regular Nikes. Newtons force the issue a bit. When I was a kid and tried to run "like Frank Shorter," I had some of my best long runs. Why I didn't just do that at the time, I have no idea. I feel like I've wasted about 35 years finding an answer.

How do you feel about the lugs on the bottom of the forefoot?

They feel funny when you walk in the shoes (and I've worn them not running a few times), but that's it.

Sorry about the randomness of this post.

That's OK, very good questions about the whole thing. I'm kind of mystified as to what all the causes and effects are. But the obvious bottom line, for me, is that I'm in a place running that I haven't been in in 20 years. Even if it's simply mental, hey, it worked for me.