Voice Recorder / Digital Recorder (Read 836 times)

For some reason this seemingly simple piece of equipment escapes me finding it.  I'm looking for a simple digital voice recorder which I can take on long runs with me clipped to my shorts. When I get an inkling, I can unclip, record, and reclip.

Ideally something the size of an ipod shuffle.

Does something like this exist? Does anyone have experience with something like this?

I can find pen recorders, pocket recorders, smallish recorders w/o clips.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

I've only taken mine on runs with me a couple times (and more to have it available in the middle and not necessarily to use while running) but I've found that a cheap lapel mic makes it easy to just keep it in a pocket rather than having to hold it up to my mouth. (Then again, most of my recordings are synced up to my video work...)

If you go that route, though, you could use any recorder with an arm band or shorts or jacket that have a pocket.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The MP3 player I run with has a voice record feature.  I'd give you the model, but it's easily 6 years old and they don't make it anymore.  I'm sure you can find a similar one.

The Sansa Clip has a voice recorder.  I have one, but have never used the record-y feature before (because I just learned that it existed).

Thanks so far guys, I'll check out the Sansa. 

Blaine, what kind of recorder do you keep in your pocket. I can't image one of those bigger things flopping around. 

Sumdeus, there is a podcast I listen to called Phedippidations.  The podcaster records some of each episode while on the run.  Maybe give him a shout via email about what equipment he uses.  I think he is an audio engineer or something......with radio industry expertise......and his podcasts have about the best quality of any podcast I listen to.  Not sure if you are going for high quality or just simple/cheap convenience.....

http://www.steverunner.com/

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

I can't image one of those bigger things flopping around. 

That's what she said.

Do you run with your mobile phone?  Check and see if it has this feature.  (My Blackberry Curve does, I'm pretty sure.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Thanks so far guys, I'll check out the Sansa. 

Blaine, what kind of recorder do you keep in your pocket. I can't image one of those bigger things flopping around. 

It's just a cheap RCA model...it's a couple inches long, maybe half an inch thick.  I can just throw it into my jacket pocket or into the pocket on my hydration pack or in a pocket on my pants or shorts if I'm wearing some (running pants do, as do race ready shorts) and it doesn't flop very much, it's pretty light. 

Again, though, I haven't really used it to record while running, just transporting and then stopping to record to this point.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks guys -- for the laugh as well as the info.

I don't run with a phone, just a garmin 305.  

I'll check out http://www.steverunner.com/ as well.

an amazing likeness

I just noticed tonight that my standard old Sansa Clip MP3 player has a voice recorder function in it.  This is pretty cool, don't know why I didn't ever pay attention to it before.  

Most of the time when I wear the player, its on a treadmill workout and previously I've always have to keep muttering the time and distance to myself so I'd remember it, now I can just mumble into the Sansa's voice recorder at the end and skip that trying to remember until I get somewhere to log it stress.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Have you checked at office supply stores (Office Depot, Office Max, Staples)?  Last I knew, they had dedicated voice recorders.

I have a Sansa Clip that I love, but hitting start/stop while running might be cumbersome.