My treadmill shocks me! (Read 1483 times)

Kenotic Runner

When I go for a few minutes without touching the stability handles, and then touch them.

Why does it happen?

How do I prevent it?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Some things in these forums shock me.

Seriously, I assume you're referring to a static-type shock.  In any case, be sure the outlet that it is plugged into is properly grounded and not plugged into a three-prong adapter.  If it's a static shock and the unit is grounded, then there's probably an internal malfunction.  A moving rubber belt and rubber shoes could be an excellent Van deGraff generator if the manufacturer didn't provide some static protection - conductive rubber and a grounding brush, perhaps.

im assuming the part that is shocking you is metal, the simplest solution is then to ground it, which basically means taking a metal wire, wrapping the wire around the part that is shocking you and connect the other end of the wire to the ground where there is some metal, eg, a pipe or even just sticking it into the ground might work.  You could always stick the end of the wire into the ground socket of a plug, but that sounds pretty dangerous to some people

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My car does this to me any time the humidity is much below 60% or so.  It's enough to kinda hurt a little.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why does it happen? - you touch the handles

How do I prevent it? - stop touching the handles

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Half Fanatic #846

Why does it happen? - you touch the handles

How do I prevent it? - stop touching the handles

This is so helpful, it reminds me of myself.  Approve

You can also try attaching a string of paper clips from the treadmill to the ground...really!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

The shirtless wonder

You might also try not running while wearing slippers.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

im assuming the part that is shocking you is metal, the simplest solution is then to ground it, which basically means taking a metal wire, wrapping the wire around the part that is shocking you and connect the other end of the wire to the ground where there is some metal, eg, a pipe or even just sticking it into the ground might work.  You could always stick the end of the wire into the ground socket of a plug, but that sounds pretty dangerous to some people

Touching a grounded piece of metal will shock you if you are not grounded and have accumulated a charge.  You could attach a ground wire between a metal part of your treadmill and your wrist/choose body part.  I'm three quarters serious.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This is so helpful, it reminds me of myself.  Approve

You can also try attaching a string of paper clips from the treadmill to the ground...really!

Whoa, you beat me to it, by seconds.  I like the paper clips idea.

Rider on the storm

or you can try to be a man and deal with it Cool

seriously tho', it's clear you've never been tazered otherwise you wouldn't mind a little shock like that.

maybe that's a good idea, just go outside and try everthing you can to piss off a gendarme.

afterwards you'll feel better. trust me..