Yeah...I remembered what I hate most about Winter running... (Read 797 times)

Well my limit is usually around 20ºF and NO ICE - as I have fallen and fractured my elbow about two years ago - so today's run looks like a treadmill (I'm a couple hours north of Run to Win). Can anyone point me to the thread about shoe grippers... Be tough and careful! A

Recalculating...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Can anyone point me to the thread about shoe grippers... Be tough and careful! A
      Here's a thread from a year ago with some good suggestions: link

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I went for my first "cold" run this morning. Below 20. Just a few patches of ice to avoid. I have to say that I really liked it. Yes, I was cold at the start but by the end of the 6 miles I worked up a good sweat. My face was the coldest part because everything else was covered. I have a question about something like the Yaktrack. Do they require you to run on snow/ice for the full run? If you find a clear piece of pavement, do they feel funny on the bottom of your shoes?
        "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

Go Pre!

I almost ate my words this morning. I was going through a stretch of sidewalk in front of an area where no one had been shoveling so it was pretty built up with crusty mounds of frozen snow. I stretched out what I thought was a long enough stride to clear a particularly large protuberance and clipped the top which nearly sent me for a spill. Thank god my agile Canadian winter skills pulled me through! Man I love running....all year all conditions Smile
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

<hmmm, let's see...just checked, sunny and 72 here, footing is good ooh, ychh, no thanks!! if you add 20 degrees to the temp to figure what it feels like when you run - hmm, 92. 10 degrees is so much nicer! :) running in the bright sun, the day after it's snowed, is hard to beat. i bought yaktrax pro for my shoes (coils you strap on the bottom) and they work very well on the snow and ice. i'm a 45-year-old newbie, so if i can do this, anyone can! let's="" see...just="" checked,="" sunny="" and="" 72="" here,="" footing="" is="" good="" ooh,="" ychh,="" no="" thanks!!="" if="" you="" add="" 20="" degrees="" to="" the="" temp="" to="" figure="" what="" it="" feels="" like="" when="" you="" run="" -="" hmm,="" 92.="" 10="" degrees="" is="" so="" much="" nicer!="" :)="" running="" in="" the="" bright="" sun,="" the="" day="" after="" it's="" snowed,="" is="" hard="" to="" beat.="" i="" bought="" yaktrax="" pro="" for="" my="" shoes="" (coils="" you="" strap="" on="" the="" bottom)="" and="" they="" work="" very="" well="" on="" the="" snow="" and="" ice.="" i'm="" a="" 45-year-old="" newbie,="" so="" if="" i="" can="" do="" this,="" anyone="" can!=""></hmmm, let's see...just checked, sunny and 72 here, footing is good ooh, ychh, no thanks!! if you add 20 degrees to the temp to figure what it feels like when you run - hmm, 92. 10 degrees is so much nicer! :) running in the bright sun, the day after it's snowed, is hard to beat. i bought yaktrax pro for my shoes (coils you strap on the bottom) and they work very well on the snow and ice. i'm a 45-year-old newbie, so if i can do this, anyone can! >
              thanks zoomy

Recalculating...

I've never heard of these "spiked winter trainers" and I actually live in Wisconsin. Jeff, Since you're a Wisconsin boy who lives near Milwaukee, I would suggest the Pettit Center for the days you don't want to brave the cold. I usually run there once a week in winter on their indoor track. It's not as fun as running outside, but it's a whole lot warmer!
                Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"

Member Since 2008

12 degrees, 5.1 miiles, two feet of snow, I love running.