Handy Runner Issues - Timings (Read 722 times)

Hello,

First of all, love the site and the Handy Runner app for android, I'm using version 1.1.2. I'm a recent convert from CardioTrainer (android app) - The only feature they still have over you is the voice that tells you how far you've run and current pace, it would be nice to have that feature at some stage, it's really useful.

I'd just like to report a couple of issues that I'm having, I do apologise if these have been raised elsewhere (I have been searching the forums but can't find anything that looks exactly the same as my issues).

1 - My run times within the Handy Runner app are different from the times that are uploaded to RA.

Example: I did a run this morning which Handy Runner has logged as a total time of 24:51 but the uploaded workout has a total time of 23:31. The total distance is practically identical for both so the difference in the times makes quite a big difference to my splits and 5k.

The main issue for me is that I have no idea which one is correct, so on my next run I will time it with a separate stopwatch to see which is, this will help out in the short term but I'll still have two different set of timings logged for each run.

2 - This may be more of a general RA issue but the issue only exists for runs uploaded by Handy Runner. My runs that are uploaded by Handy Runner never appear on my Facebook wall even though manually entered or imported GPX data runs and weights do. The Facebook app is set to 'publish all activities'.

Thanks for making a great website (I love to look at graphs and other data) and android app, combined they are having a massive positive effect on my motivation to run.

Sorry if I've left out any vital pieces of information, I'm happy to share the data if it'll help to troubleshoot.

c7t

A quick update;

After my run this morning the time displayed within handy runner's 'GPS run' tab is the same as the data that is uploaded to RA.. I think this is the correct time as it fits in with the timings I had been gettting with CardioTrainer before switching the HR/RA.

When I switch to the history tab it shows the same run taking 7.5 minutes longer.

GPS run - Distance 7.1km, time - 32.28

History - Distance 7.1km, time - 40.00

So now that I think I've worked out what time is correct it doesn't seem as much of a problem but it still seems odd to be reporting to wildly different times, I could understand if it was having trouble with the distance (I read Eric's explanation in another thread about GPS) but not time..

I'd be interested to hear if anybody has had a similar problem.

btw - I am using an HTC Desire, which is running Android 2.2 (FroYo).

c7t

eric :)

copy7t,

I cannot address the time difference issue.  Derek will have to chime in on that one.

Issue 2 is indeed an RA problem.  I will fix it for the next release.

derek

When I switch to the history tab it shows the same run taking 7.5 minutes longer.

GPS run - Distance 7.1km, time - 32.28

History - Distance 7.1km, time - 40.00

Would you be able to send me the GPX file for this workout?  The files are on your SD card in a "HandyRunner" directory.  You should be able to identify the correct file based on the date and time of the file.

You can email it to support@handyrunner.com

Thanks

Derek

Derek

Hi,

Derek - I have sent my GPX to you. I hope it helps to pinpoint the issue.

Eric - That's good news - I look forward to the next release!

Thanks,

Steve.

Update:

I've spotted something that might help solve this..

When I finish a run I 'pause' the workout - This freezes the workout at that point, then press stop and confirm that it is be to uploaded.

I think that somewhere inside the app or phone an unseen counter keeps on going even after the workout is paused.

So if I pause the run after 25 minutes, then wait for 10 minutes before pressing stop and uploading, it will register the 25 minute time and also 35 minutes. Thankfully, the correct run timings seem to be uploaded to RA but the timings within the app seem stuck with the longer time.

c7t

derek

Update:

I've spotted something that might help solve this..

When I finish a run I 'pause' the workout - This freezes the workout at that point, then press stop and confirm that it is be to uploaded.

I think that somewhere inside the app or phone an unseen counter keeps on going even after the workout is paused.

So if I pause the run after 25 minutes, then wait for 10 minutes before pressing stop and uploading, it will register the 25 minute time and also 35 minutes. Thankfully, the correct run timings seem to be uploaded to RA but the timings within the app seem stuck with the longer time.

c7t

Thanks.  This may actually be what is going on.  I'll look into it.

Derek