Question for dog runners (Read 1178 times)

stoneyb

My running buddy Jake is a hunterway/collie cross, we call them handy dogs here in New Zealand. They're a sheep hearding dog mainly used in sheep yards. We began our running journey togetherbecause i needed someone (somedog?) to talk to when I ran. He's always run on a normal lead with a normal collar. We did some basic dog obedience classes up to a year old so he's really well behaved on a lead. He never pulls and sticks to my side like glue. Having said that he's the same off a lead too. Its partly the breed and partly his farm dog training, always waiting with a big smile for the next instruction. All our running is on gravel roads around the rural area where we live. We probabaly cover only 15- 20 mile a week. I got some little dog bootie things from a friend who does sled racing with dogs to help protect the pads.
    HappyFeat

I used to have two 65 lb goldens who would run with me. I used regular harnesses like you find at Petco and they were fine. Neither dog was a "puller," though and they would both run on the same side of me which made it very smooth. One died early and was never much for long runs, but the second would run as much as 6 miles. When she got too old to run, I got a bike trailer/stroller and pushed her so she could still participate in my daily runs. When my long runs were 16-milers, my husband would ride the bike and trailer her. She loved the outing. I know this doesn't answer your question...just gives me a chance to reminisce Smile

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

megerina

Standard poodle youngster works well with a basic slip chain collar, although I think I bore her as I am not moving as fast as she would like. I guess that is her bad luck for getting a middle aged guardian Wink. However, she is a retriever type of dog and very sensitive to doing what I ask her to, a real change after having chows and samoyeds before. happy meal (big toy poodle)still runs for a while with us, but I generally leave her off leash when I can get away with it and after two miles she needs to be back at home or at the car while the big dog and I continue our run. The big dog is my running partner and goad right now since the vet gave her the all clear to start ramping up milelage with her. maybe I'll get back up to 1/2 plus this yeaar. meg