What running rituals do you have (or should that read obsessive compulsive traits) (Read 1594 times)

One word: coffee. I must have coffee before I run. How much doesn't matter. Sometimes just a few sips. Coffee and running are forever linked in my head. My first marathon of this running lifetime we got up way, way too early ... and there was a Starbucks in the hotel lobby. First time (I think) I ever ordered a coffee anywhere. I never even drank it before 3 years ago. Ever since, I've developed a superstition that coffee has magical properties. Which, of course, it does, in a couple areas that actually are important to runners. But I'm convinced it lubricates the joints, strengthens the muscles, boosts glycogen stores, and improves aerodynamics. It's my magic juice. It must come before a run.
    Oh thank God I'm not the only one who relys on coffee, sweet sweet coffee.
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
      Double shot of espresso... does the trick without the need to pee. I cannot run without my fix either. I don't call it "juice of the Gods" it's my "nectar of the Gods". Juice is coffee, Nectar is espresso. Yummm! My running OCD is on an out and back run, I have to touch the stop sign at the turn around point. I always told myself that if I didn't touch it, I would end up turning around sooner. Lately, I've been passing the sign and going further. The sign no longer taunts me.
      Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Never ever wear the race shirt during the race. But after showering, it is worn the rest of the day. The medal is worn on the drive home, then hung on the bedroom mirror. All race bibs are saved in order w/ the following written in black Sharpie: date, race, finish time, AG and gender placement.

Jeanne

I save the bibs from all my races.
          I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
            I can't go out, turn around and come back. It must be a loop, even if it is a small loop. Most of the run back must be on different ground. Weird, huh?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

mldrabenstott

One of the best things about rituals -- which most of us have -- is occasionally breaking them simply for the sake of change. Like running without a watch. Or taking a new route. Or eating something different after a long run. Or running a favorite route in reverse direction. Predictability is comfortable. But variety is what makes life fun.
              finney

Resident pinniped

I have to know how far I ran. Even if it was a crappy run and I only managed 2 miles. I still gotta know. How fast doesn't matter, just how far.

Marathon Maniac #3309

I can't go out, turn around and come back. It must be a loop, even if it is a small loop. Most of the run back must be on different ground. Weird, huh?
                  I'm the same way but, a lot of races are there and back routes. My last race was a circle loop though...and I loved it Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I save the bibs from all my races.
                    Are there runners that don't do this? Personally it saddens me when I see a generic RoadID bib, but I dutifully put the race name, date, distance and time on the back and add it to the pile anyway. I much prefer the custom bib with the race name, but you get what you get.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Yeah it is a little wierd. I do it too though. Not as much as before. If I look behind me to my right running on the treadmill...I must look back to my left to balance out the right look....then of course I must look left then right to balance out the entire set. I saw a program on 20/20 a few years back that showed people extremely compulsive in this way. If they touch a desk with their right hand they must touch with left hand to balance things out. Thats you and me and a lot of people but just know there are people much worse than us.
                      So, I'm not alone - thank goodness. Roll eyes The "balancing" is a biggie for me. It even goes to the point where if I scuff my left shoe sole on the ground, I must scuff my right one. My other "must do" is tying my shoes twice - once when I put them on, then again right before I start the run. This is actually pretty practical in my mind, since they'll loosen up a bit after sticking my foot in, but there is no way that I could not do this prior to heading out. I'm OK with my obsessions at this point in my life. I noticed my daughter has her own set of behaviors (nothing too bad... that I have seen, anyway...), and while I chuckle at her when I see her plug the hair dryer in twice, I can really relate to her and let her know that she's not alone, too.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

I've had rituals that come and go. When I ran with a club, we would go out for a burger and a beer after our runs. After I stopped running with them, it took a while for the burger and beer craving to stop. Come to think of it, that may have been a good ritual to keep. Other past routines generally involved specific pre-run fueling... two powerbars and a big gatorade then wait 45 minutes before a long run, for example. My only routine now is logging on here and entering my run in my log as soon as I get done. Oh, and if I run on a specific bike path I tap the 3 mile marker when pass it, a habit from the first time I ran 6 miles.

-------------------------------------
                        5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                        10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                        1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                        Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. .
                          Yeah... wow. Have you been diagnosed? That sounds kind of serious to me. Has it gone so far that it seriously interferes with your life in any way like your job, relationships, keeping a time schedule, etc...?
                          I think a little research would show that most of your great implements of death are the result of zombie-eyed daydreams of shoe salesmen. -Al Bundy
                            I could go on, but I think you get the idea. The beauty(?) of all of this is that as I said before it's all hidden from the world. There is no way that anyone would ever notice these things, yet they are embarrassingly important to me.
                            Do you step on cracks? I try to avoid it, but I find that I will hop and skip down the sidewalk to avoid cracks. I've figured out various routines (running diagonally can fit your stride better, short steps between cracks and then, if necessary, one long one to get over, if you're going to hit the crack do it with the middle of the shoe where it doesn't touch the ground). I've forced myself on occasion to try not to care, but it bothers me. I'll run on the street instead of the sidewalk because it's such a mental relief. but that's it
                            areesemd

ALWAYS miss cracks. Having been a former hurdler in high school, I am very good at adjusting my stride to avoid them. Also makes a lot of sense if you have to hit one, to hit is on the arch of the foot. Andy
                              obiebyke

I have trouble not counting when running. I count one for every full breath in an out, to a hundred, then start over. Originally it was because I don't listen to headphones and it kept my mind off the pain and on pace, but now I find it hard to stop!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)