Incorporating a race into training (Read 566 times)

ud32

Training for a 10K and my schedule suggestes working in a 5K or 10k over the weekend. How do I do that if my weekend run calls for an 8 mile long run....if there is a 5K race do i run the 5k and then run 5 more miles later that same day or run 5 the next day ? Or do I run a mile warm up - run the 5k and then run a 4 mile cool down? Or perhaps run all 8 miles and just do a 3 or 6 mile tempo as part of that 8 mile training run ?
      Run the extra miles as part of your warm up/cooldown for the race.
      Hannibal Granite

I think you are thinking to much. Whatever schedule you are using is meant to be a trianing guideline only, not something to be followed religiously. As to your actual question there are about a million different things you could do here are what I would consider the best options: Note: You should run at least a mile to warm-up before the race and a mile after a the race regardless of what else you do. 1. Run 5k race Saturday do 8 mile run Sunday - A lot of people do long runs the day after a race 2. Do an extended cool down after the race, pace-wise the cool-down will seem easy after the race 3. Do an extended warm-up, then race. You'll be forced to push the last few miles of your long run, which is good to know you have the ability to do, just don't expect a PR in the race, it is for training purposes only.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Bugs

The other suggestions are good but wanted to add that when you sub a race for a long run it is not bad to cut some miles from the schedule. If you race the 10K it is as good (probably better) as running 8 miles. If the next day you feel like you need to keep the run shorter, do it and don't stress over it.

Bugs

I think you are thinking to much. Whatever schedule you are using is meant to be a trianing guideline only, not something to be followed religiously.
            This may be some of the very best advice I've seen.. Best thing to do is to plan your runs (month or so out) and modify a little the week before....and each day make a final modification based on how you feel. If it calls for a 8 mile run and you are going to run a 10K...run a warm up mile, a cool down mile and thats 8.2 (close enough).. IF its a 5k race, then run 2 slow warm up miles, the 5k race, and two cool down miles.......7.1 miles...again(close enough).... But dont marry someones canned training program...... Smile Big grin Wink Tongue

Champions are made when no one is watching

ud32

Makes sense - thanks for the tips!
                Great advice Hannibal! Another idea would be to split it into a two-a-day. Racing in the morning and finish up the miles later that afternoon. For sure schedules are guidelines.
                "Live Healthy" www.blonderunner.com/blog/ Goal: Under 18:00 min in 5K