Winter/Nighttime Visibility -- Gear and Tips (Read 856 times)

Prince of Fatness

This is the xinglet....

I've used a vest and just find this more comfortable to wear.

Not at it at all. 

xor

As for the headlamp, I almost never wear one anymore.  Instead I hold a flash light in me hand.  Better depth perception, ability to shine it places without cranking my head around (or the opposite, being able to turn my head slightly without my light tracking the movement), no issue with hats or headaches.

I realize people will say "I never have that issue with headlamps".  I used to say that too, until I switched. So much better.  Why did I switch?  Didn't like the bouncy and the eventual headaches...

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

I wear two red flashing LEDs (one front one back on my waist belt), reflective Nathan ankle/arm wraps, and a headlight

I don't understand the headlight bouncing thing, I find that if I get tired of it on my head and hold it in my hand the beam bounces much more than it does on my head. 

On my head the light goes like a laser beam exactly where I am looking, and I can pretend I am an X-Man.

Bill Wagnon / stl

Headlamps -- how do you keep them in place if you're wearing a ballcap or visor?

You could go with one of these, don't know how well it would light the ground but it would make you visible to motorists.

And this:

Beldar

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

You could go with one of these, don't know how well it would light the ground but it would make you visible to motorists.

I actually have one of those, with three green LEDs.  Pretty bright when you see it head-on, and it's decent at illuminating the road right in front of me.

As for your second image ... someone else already mentioned headlights.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

those headlights are the bouncing kind

Bill Wagnon / stl

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Last year I bought some strings of battery-powered Christmas lights, with the intention of decorating our bikes.  The next day, the snow hit, and the ice didn't let up till March.  No holiday bike ride.  We'll try again this year, but you've inspired me to take one of the strings of lights for a run as well. Smile  Oh yeah, they make tinkly sounds, too.  (Spare us the bodily function jokes!)

As for your second image ...

Am I the only one that sees Beldar?  Wait, where did he go...

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

xor

back to France

I realize people will say "I never have that issue with headlamps".  I used to say that too, until I switched. So much better.  Why did I switch?  Didn't like the bouncy and the eventual headaches...

You are so right, I used my headlamp this morning, and my head hurt. Plus, I had a strap mark on my forehead.  

- Anya

This is the xinglet....

I've used a vest and just find this more comfortable to wear.

Is it upside down?  So you put your legs through and then cinch it at the waist?  Without a waterbottle holder I don't see the point

2012= under-goaled

HCH

Which reminds me, the batteries in my Fuel Belt headlamp are dead.  Does anyone know if there's a way to replace them, or do I have to buy a new LED lamp?

As for the headlamp, I almost never wear one anymore.  Instead I hold a flash light in me hand.  Better depth perception, ability to shine it places without cranking my head around (or the opposite, being able to turn my head slightly without my light tracking the movement), no issue with hats or headaches.

Agreed. What kind of flash light do you use?

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

Is it upside down?  So you put your legs through and then cinch it at the waist?  Without a waterbottle holder I don't see the point

No, it's not upside down.  

The point?  when it's hot out, man this thing is awsome, becuase it doesn't add any layers.  It's breezy, like you don't even have anything on. There is a very small zipper area for a key or a chapstick.    

mta:  and in the winter, just put it over whatever you're wearing.  It fits over everything. 

- Anya

xor

I like to wear the xinglet without a shirt.  I look like one of the village people.

(no, I really don't know what that means)

an amazing likeness

1. Pay as much attention to your visibility from the side as you do front-back.  Most of us cross in front of cars when running and you can be pretty unreflective on the side.  My wife has sewn some Scotchbrite strips onto my usual winter pant's legs and my arms -- this really helps because they move.

2. If you run in an area where the snowplows create 4 - 5 tall snow banks on the side of the road, you often end up in a tunnel of darkness with only your head higher than the banks, this is where a lightweight headlight shines.  It lights you up with your own little follow-spot, so when drivers make that quick glance to the side, before their headlights turn and reflect, you catch their eye.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.