Comments from bystanders (Read 2315 times)

HOSS1961

I had a guy stop me the week after I moved to Maine and offer me some head. A little later, a needler who didn't get enough to eat on a regular basis tried prostituting herself to me. It was a very strange day, which thankfully hasn't even come close to ever repeating itself since then.
    Wow...Maine...who'd thunk it??? Confused
    HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured

Non ducor, duco.

I got a new one yesterday. This beat-up white Datsun slows to my pace while traffic is piling up behind him. The passenger guy sticks his head out and yells "Hey, baby, im only a mile away. Come on over and sweat on me." Creep.
        I got a new one yesterday. This beat-up white Datsun slows to my pace while traffic is piling up behind him. The passenger guy sticks his head out and yells "Hey, baby, im only a mile away. Come on over and sweat on me." Creep.
        Was he cute at least? Big grin

Michelle

Non ducor, duco.

Was he cute at least? Big grin
          uh no. Well maybe if you like mullets.
            uh no. Well maybe if you like mullets.
            Ohhhh, yuck. Yeah, that guy was creepy.

Michelle

Fool

Well, it had to happen eventually... Got my first comments while running this week. The first was some guy driving by shouted, "Lookin' good, keep up the good work" - as near as I can tell this was a complete stranger. Confused The second was last night. I was running a popular route and saw an overweight woman standing on her front porch wearing mittens. As I approached she asked, "What are you running from?" "Just out for a run." At this point she shouted, "Walking is every bit as good as running!" followed by an increase in tone, and "Stop that!". She then began shouting obscenities which I could hear for the next several tenths of a mile. One of the last things I heard clearly was, "come back here or I'll get in my car and run you over!" I made good time on that section - call it a 'situational fartlek'. No car appeared, the screechings faded with the distance, and I had a unique experience to report to you people. Life sure is interesting when people go off their meds. Roll eyes
              Scout7

I find that if you look like you're going to kill someone, people tend to not talk to you. This tactic works for myriad situations: work, running, wandering through stores, etc.
                  I was running a bike path around a local lake that's surrounded by a lot of apartment complexes. As I came up on one of them a couple with their young son - about 2.5-3 - was coming out for a walk. The couple saw me coming and prompted their son with a "what do you say?" "Good Job, Runner!" I was smiling the rest of my run.
                  That made my day just reading it... Smile
                  Run like you stole something.
                    I ran a new route last week and I ran along the sidewalks. There were a lot of bushes, overhanging palms and hidden driveways and I was doing about a 7:30 pace so I was trying to be careful. I came up to a line of stores and this elderly lady was pushing and elderly man who was in a wheelchair headed in the direction of my path. I was going to make it way before they got in front of me by a couple feet, but apparently I startled here and she stopped with a jolt and yanked the wheelchair to a stop and yelled "Oh! Why do you have to run so FAST!??" I felt bad but good at the same time. Confused Other than that, I get a couple horn honks or "good job"s here and there or a thumbs up, but it's almost always when I'm doing hard intervals or in some sort of bad weather. I remember finishing a hard 11 mile loop out here at a park last year. I tend to finish my runs pretty hard, and sometimes with a really hard ending 400 or so, like all out race hard. I get done and I'm dying. I'm squatting down holding a sign to stay upright just trying to catch my breath and this guy asks me if I'm ok and I say yeah just a hard run. He says "Good, because I was about to dump my bottle of water on you." Wha? lol I laughed and thanked him for the offer. I think the best comment was from a friend of my wife's that I don't think I was supposed to hear. My wife and I and a bunch of our friends took a boat out to an island for a day of fun. Guys are all playing football and I tweak my left leg that'd been bothering me for a few months, so I'm trying to jog pitter patter step back and forth to work it out a little. Two of the women were standing having a drink and watching the guys play football and I stopped short of them and turned around and I kind of hear a whisper "See? Look at his calves, they're not even flexed!" Needless to say it put a huge grin on my face but I was so embarrassed that I just kept running the other way for a while. Clowning around
                    Run like you stole something.
                      I just started running back in July, working my way up to running my first 5k two weekends ago. Although I'm still very slow... I've been making great progress and I definately love running. The first time I ran outside (not on my TM) I was amazed at the encouragement I got from other runners, walkers and bikers. A simple head nod to a wink to a full out "good job". It felt so good to be a part of that elite "fitness" club. I have been terribly overweight most of my adult life, and over the last year I've lost 85 lbs, and now am running. So this is all very new for me. I'm still losing weight... have about 40 lbs to goal, but I know I look pretty "normal" now. So in the past, my comments would be fairly negative... having positive ones is amazing. This last week I've received numerous comments... again, all positive. I was running last night and a woman in a car rolled down her window, stuck out her hand and gave me the thumbs up and honked. Then another person who lives in a house on my normal route said to me as I passed - "your speed is really improving and you don't look as tired! Good job!" While I was running in the park, there is this really steep hill that I've not been able to make it up without walking part of it. On the weekend, just as I crested the hill at a run, first time successfully, and older man and woman were starting down the hill walking. They must have noticed the huge smile on my face and they both held up their hands, gave me a high 5 and said "if you can do that hill, you can do anything!" - and now I know I can!

I find that if you look like you're going to kill someone, people tend to not talk to you. This tactic works for myriad situations: work, running, wandering through stores, etc.
                        That's why I always keep my hand in a jacket pocket when visiting a city and on a bus or a subway. You won't become a mark because they won't know what you have in that pocket and there are more obviously easy folks to roll.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I finally got a comment... As I was running the last 1/2 mile or so of my 10 mile run this morning I passed the local highschool. By this point in the run I was good and sweaty and had the soaked shirt to show for it. As I passed a group of girls I heard one of them say "eeewww". I got a big grin on my face and thought to myself, I finally got a comment worth posting on RA! It made my morning. Big grin
                          nothing is scarier than rabid squirrels with light sabers...except clowns, clowns are definitely scarier
                            I always get annoyed with some comments, because I hate when people think for some reason they're hilarious to yell something random at runners. When someone gives genuine encouragement, I appreciate that. But, when they're about 16 years old, sweaty, stinky, and smelly (I'm a youth pastor - I do love teens), then usually I want to stop my run and kick them in the face. My favorite of all time is easily this: "Run faster!" To which I simply smile, look at them, and say, "Come join me!" Usually, they smirk, and then realize they don't know what to say and stick their head back in the car and drive off... As far as funny comments: When I lived in Nashville, one of my routes took me downtown on Broadway in front of all of the Honky Tonks. I would run straight through the crowds on the sidewalks, and without fail, I'd hear old men say something like (and with a strong southern accent), "Dat's wut I need ta be derin..." It always made me smile to think that my running by someone makes them want to exercise.
                              I got a comment at work the other day, from a man about 60 years old (looks at least 15 years older than me, though its only 3 years) whose son used to work in our office. The conversation went like this: Him: You've lost a lot of weight! Me: Thanks, I've taken up running, I feel great. Him: You want to be careful, it can be hard on the knees. Me: I don't do a lot of miles, I think I'll be ok. Him: That's good, some people go crazy, you know, running 5 miles at a time! Me, laughing: That's pretty minimal, on Sundays I may run 15 miles, even 20 miles once. Puzzled look, he seems to think I'm making fun of him.. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.