Light weight marathon shoe for neutral runner? (Read 2731 times)

mikeymike

I used to train in the Speedstar 3's.  They're nice.  I agree they are roomy in the forefoot, comfy out of the box, and durable.  I wouldn't consider them all that light but if your trainers are the Kayanos or something beefy like that they might seem light.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

Cool, appreciate hearing the experience with them, I'm going to try the SpeedStar 3.  No source around for the Bandito, but they were also on my list to consider.

Don't want to go any lighter...I'm too heavy.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cool, appreciate hearing the experience with them, I'm going to try the SpeedStar 3.  No source around for the Bandito, but they were also on my list to consider.

Don't want to go any lighter...I'm too heavy.

I have a pair of Banditos and right now only race in them 5K - 5 Miler , probably could/should go up to 10k. 

But there is no way I could run a marathon in them.  Maybe if you were < 150 lbs and really fast then I guess OK.

Banditos are 7.7 oz.   I actually just picked up mizuno precision 9 (cheap for like $65 as precision10s are out), they are 9.9 oz and just ran my half at Erie in them and they felt very good.

MTA -- Plus to be fair on your graph it should be 1440  versus 9.4 or 2880 versus 18.8 as 2 shoes. 

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

I have a pair of Banditos and right now only race in them 5K - 5 Miler , probably could/should go up to 10k. 

But there is no way I could run a marathon in them.  Maybe if you were < 150 lbs and really fast then I guess OK.

I could be wrong but I think the Bandito is quite a popular marathon shoe - and not just with the fast and light set.

I'm around 155-160lb (being under 150 means I'm pretty badly dehydrated!) and could charitably be called 'competitive' but am in little danger of being called 'very fast'. Oh wait, no, some kid said 'That old guys fast!' in a race earlier this year. But then again they were about 6.....

I'm half tempted to use the Hyperspeeds for the marathon (6.6oz) since I've run half marathons in them with no problem but since it's my first I thought I'd add in an ounce or two of caution and go with the Banditos. Different strokes for different folks.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
          kcam

I'm not sure weight of the runner has a direct correlation to which shoe is good for marathoning.  I ran two marathons  last year in my ASICS Banditos, my weight was ~161lbs.  Before that I ran marathons in Adizeros (probably 3 or 4 marathons in one pair), ASICS Magic Racers and ASICS DS Racers (I ran at least 5 marathons in this one pair)  with no ill effects weighing up to 175 lbs.  More to do with footstrike mechanics I'd guess.

I'm thinking of starting to run all of my training runs in Banditos they feel so comfortable to me.

Prince of Fatness

I'm half tempted to use the Hyperspeeds for the marathon (6.6oz) since I've run half marathons in them with no problem but since it's my first I thought I'd add in an ounce or two of caution and go with the Banditos. Different strokes for different folks.

I ran a 5 mile race in the Hyperspeeds and had no problems.  I weigh a little under 170.  I am seriously contemplating running a half in them in November.

I have a pair of Speedstars on deck and am seriously considering the Bandito.  This year I've been moving over to light weight trainers / flats for all of my running and have noticed that I have less aches and pains (used to run in the Nimbus).

Not at it at all. 

Consider that the Bandito uses Solyte. I feel the Solyte is too cushy, non-responsive and wears out too quick.

And the Bandito is seriously overpriced.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I'm thinking of starting to run all of my training runs in Banditos they feel so comfortable to me.

And SPARKLY! Let's not forget that. After all what self-respecting 40+ year old runner doesn't want sparkles in their laces? Hyperspeeds also come with sparkly laces but the Banditos kick it up a notch with shiny gold and silver trim.

I know you can replace the laces, but then I'd just feel a whole lot less special.....

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                  kcam

And SPARKLY! Let's not forget that. After all what self-respecting 40+ year old runner doesn't want sparkles in their laces? Hyperspeeds also come with sparkly laces but the Banditos kick it up a notch with shiny gold and silver trim.

I know you can replace the laces, but then I'd just feel a whole lot less special.....

John

I heart the sparkly laces and gold trim! 

MTA:  $79 free shipping (and free return shipping if needed) at running warehouse.

mikeymike

I've run my last three marathons in the Hyperspeeds with no ill effects.  I think they have more cushioning than a lot of trainers, espeically in the forefoot.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

MTA -- Plus to be fair on your graph it should be 1440  versus 9.4 or 2880 versus 18.8 as 2 shoes. 

Dude, are you sheetin' me?  I throw out some quick, cute little haw-haw graph to entertain you, and it gets editorial feedback......geez Louise.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Don't forget that with the sparkles you also get the weird tribal markings with the Banditos. They also have a post built in, which I could do without.

FYI .... Found good deal on Brooks Ghost 2 @finishline.com for $55.  Bought 2 pair due to free shipping over $100.

http://www.finishline.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?productId=prod626580

I had tried them on at Akron Marathon which Brooks was a main sponsor and liked them, thought they were good deal at $85 but decided to hold off, good thing saving $30 5 days later.

They are are like 10.8 oz so not super light, but not 100% sold on my Precision 9's.  They worked out well at Erie half, but got Blister on instep at AKron without rain, which concerns me to make the leap to marathon shoe.  Think it was the sock and not having tight enough, but for $55 will give these a ride over the next few weeks.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

I love my Wave Precision 10s so far. But other reviews on all the shoes I get are always very scattered.