Question about BQ times (Read 821 times)

On On

You seem to be hi jacking the thread about BQ times with certification but I am fine with that. Why certify? I have no f'in clue. I am not sure you can even certify trail courses? And that seems to be all I run these days. Can anyone on here tell me if you can or can't? Someone a few weeks ago said you would get more runners if you had a certified course. I am not so sure. You may get more of a certain type of runner, but will you get more over all runners? I think the assumption is you are going to get the same number of runners who don't care if the course is certified so the only change by certifying a course is the increase in runners that only run certified courses. I have no idea if this assumption is correct. For me (in my sample size of one) the only time I would ever care about running a certified course was if I was trying to BQ. Which kind of led me to my question for you Trent, I think it would be cool to qualify for Boston running from Monkeys.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, I agree. It is not necessarily the case that a course being certified means you will get more runners. Plus, since we cap our race and fill fast, we have no need even to try and play that game. The idea for certification is to allow you to make sure that one course is the same distance as another so that you can compare your times across races. The problem is, even with certification, courses may not be laid out correctly AND runners may not run the certified course exactly. Plus, no two courses are alike, even if they are the same distance, and so times from course to course are not really comparable. By that, I mean that altitude, elevation changes, climate, curviness, crowds, etc all contribute to how you run a race. And, of course, and as you stated, a key reason to certify marathons is so that they can serve as Boston Qualifiers. For the Monkey, I'd rather people chose to run the Monkey because they want to run the Monkey, not because of some external goal. If they want to qualify for Boston, there are plenty of other (wiser) places to do that. We have enough people who just want to suffer on the hills. Trail courses are typically uncertified and they would be difficult to certify.
      bap

Isn't the Boston Course measured using GPS? Tape measures are notoriously unreliable.

Certified Running Coach
        Crocked since 2013

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

JimR

GPS is overrated.
          You must learn to embrace technology. It's the 21st century, satellites rule!