Age old Question...Time Goal for 1st Marathon? (Read 648 times)

Dave

Lots of good responses. I'm just not sure you need to set a time goal yet. December is still a long way away and you should have a few more good long runs under you belt before race day. Might make sense to schedule a HM sometime this fall to get another data point. I'm struggling with the same question for my late Oct. marathon this year and it will be my second marathon. I was probably capable of a bit faster in my last one but I'm glad I started easier than I needed to and finished strong. This time, I've got some times in mind but won't really set a goal pace until I get a good fast finish long run under my belt of 18 miles or more.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

If your goal is just to finish, just know almost any person can finish a marathon in 7 hours. You're gonna finish it unless you get hurt and can't physically move your legs. But if you want to run a marathon, set a goal and do it. The worst, most unmotivating advice I heeded was the just finish advice which was at war with my determined competetive side and I let it totally mess with my head. find a half marathon you can run in the next few months. That's a good distance to guesstimate with.

Jennifer mm#1231