TM feedback (Read 747 times)

DoppleBock

Looked at and Ran on a Pre-Cor 9.31 today - Retail $3699 (Delivery and set up + $100) I think I can get him down to $3,100 delivered and set up.

I am slow to get around to things and then impulsive or take no action ... If I think about this more than this week, I will not have a TM this year.

Any one have experience with this TM - Remember I am a wussy and hate running outside in WI winters

It seemed Decent - Goes up to 12.0 MPH, 15% incline, 3.0 continous motor, 10 years parts, lifetime deck, 1 year labor

Wife is leaving in 2 weeks for 9 days and if I do not buy something all I will be able to run is 5 days at lunch in 9 days.  Unless I abandon the 4 YO and 8 YO.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

For the price of that precore, you could get a Landice, which some consider to be "The Runner's TM".

However, Did you check out the Sole treadmills? Much less expensive, and the quality seems pretty good. 

I have the Sole and the only issues I have with it are:

1. display is only in MPH, not in Min/Mile. Issue solved with a sheet of paper on the wall next to the TM.
      2. the cross bar that my knee sometimes hits.This is actually a positive because I'm trying to shorten my stride.

The Sole also goes up to 12 MPH, inclines to 15% (in 1 % increments), similar warranty... for about 1/2 of what the PreCor costs. 

If you really want to spend lots of $ on a TM, check out "Alter G"

Most days I run at the Y. Years ago they had Precor machines, then they got the Life Fitness machines. Wow what a difference even with the Star Trac machines. Over the las 2 years I've run many 2+ hrs and 3 hr runs on these.

The amazing thing is I also run on asphalt and they feel similar, but the other machines feel like I'm slapping hardwood.

Most days I run at the Y. Years ago they had Precor machines, then they got the Life Fitness machines. Wow what a difference even with the Star Trac machines. Over the las 2 years I've run many 2+ hrs and 3 hr runs on these.

The amazing thing is I also run on asphalt and they feel similar, but the other machines feel like I'm slapping hardwood.

Wow, a 2+ to 3 hour run on a TM? Don't you go stir crazy? 

DoppleBock

thanks - I did a Sole (Tested)

Thinking ... Thinking ... Thinking

BTW - I have run 6+ hour runs on TM @ YMCA

DoppleBock

I put the sole F85 through the paces last night $1,999

Better console features (Set your own programs + more programs - built in speakers + MP3/IPOD plug in) - Bigger motor - Less technical (Precor has sensors 100x a second to adjust belt speed as you plant) - Deck is 2 inches narrower and a little less sturdy

But it has lifetime on motor and deck

5 year on all parts

2 years on labor

Precor

Lifetime on Deck

10 year motor and parts

1 year on labor

I am OK with either warranty - Both say "I build a decent machine" to me.

A little more research and I will pull the trigger or put the gun away - Today, I either buy or wait until next year.

Remember I am excessive cumpulsive and I grow tired thinking about this issue Smile

Remember I am excessive cumpulsive and I grow tired thinking about this issue Smile

well, keep in  mind that even in Wisconsin the summers are pretty nice for running outside. Assuming you don't get swept away by the misquitos, or black flies. 

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

BoilerTom's right -- you should at least check out the Landice L7 or L8.  Landice is consitently top-rated, has a 4.0HP (cont.) motor, and has Lifetime on all parts + 1yr serv/labor.  Worth looking into.  I've never used one, but I've heard good things.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Horizon Fitness CST 4 purchased Jan 2005 for $1200...lifetime motor warranty, 2 years on frame/deck.  2.25 HP, goes up to 12 MPH with 12% grade, has programming and training options that I don't use.  Got it from Dick's Sporting Goods.  Think it was free delivery from a sale.  Horizon has newer models out.

I may have to move to a heavier duty model when I have to get another one, as I weigh nearly 200 pounds.  I've gone through 2 decks already (once it shorted out and fried everything, once I broke the deck).  I may get one with a longer deck warranty since it was a few hundred bucks for the guy to come replace.  But otherwise its a very smooth run, goes quietly.  I had 1600 miles on it as of Jan 2009.

Treadmill is a must - 94 degrees with 50 percent humidity = no fun.  Doesn't have the iPod plugin but I have an iPod player and a remote control as well as a big flat screen to entertain me.

6 hours on a TM though?  I got 75 minutes once.  Usually my attention will wander after 5 miles unless there's a really good game on TV.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I wouldn't go below 3.0hp (cont).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

BoilerTom's right -- you should at least check out the Landice L7 or L8.  Landice is consitently top-rated, has a 4.0HP (cont.) motor, and has Lifetime on all parts + 1yr serv/labor.  Worth looking into.  I've never used one, but I've heard good things.

A co-worker of mine has the Landice L7 and loves it. I would have bought one (instead of the Sole) but I thoughht I'd see how a less expensive model holds up.If I stay able to run, and my son continues to show interest in running, then I can see myself upgrading to something like the Landice.

Wingz

Professional Noob

I have the Sole TT8.  Pricey (currently $2300), but I love it.  Use it almost every day.  Wink  Smooth ride, big deck....   Here's a write-up on Dick's Sporting Goods: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3313770&CAWELAID=243805005

Roads were made for journeys...

Giant Flaming Dork

I second the Horizon line from Dicks.  Got the CST 3.5 four years ago. 850 miles. Zero issues.  (no deck, motor, incline, nothing)  I am not a light runner but I do always run with an incline, so that could help.  

I would look at the T1200, as that one is a little higher rated in consumer reports.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Wow, a 2+ to 3 hour run on a TM? Don't you go stir crazy? 

Texas gets hot when I ramp up my fitness runs on the TM. I might do 30-45 on a hilly asphalt course but you have to slow for that one.

Did a 3.5 hr on one time and ended up with a minor stress fracture for 5 months. Overuse, youi really need to mix it up with some outdoor running.

2+ hr on the TM is easy if you have beautiful indoor scenery, TV and music. Restrooms is nice thing to have, and if you break down, get in the car and go home.

Broke down one time 9 miles without money for a phone call and cell battery died down too. Limped.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I second the Horizon line from Dicks.  Got the CST 3.5 four years ago. 850 miles. Zero issues.  (no deck, motor, incline, nothing)  I am not a light runner but I do always run with an incline, so that could help.  

I would look at the T1200, as that one is a little higher rated in consumer reports.

The T1200 only has 2.75 hp (cont).  I would vote against this for DoppleBock, who is a large, fast running machine.