first HM advice (especially re pace teams) (Read 386 times)

Ringmaster

I am training for my first half-marathon next month. I started running again last year. (I was a sprinter in high school--my best event then was the 100m). I ran my first 5K in December in 26:20 and my first 10K later that month in 59:15. I run 5 or 6 mi 4x a week. My long run New Year's Day was 10mi; I ran just over the 13.1 today in 2:07. All that history to ask for all the advice you can pour on me as I get ready for my first HM! I'll take anything you have to give, including what I should eat before the race (it starts at 6, and I usually don't eat anything before I head out, not even today), how to best hydrate, when to plan on arriving at the race site, etc. I am also wondering, how do pace teams work? I got a Garmin 205 for Christmas and I love it, though I'm still learning all its ins and outs, and would certainly love any "techie" advice. It's amazing how much I don't know! Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience with me!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
    Mile by Mile

JakeKnight

A couple quick things: First, since you asked a whole bunch of questions - give the 'search' function a try. Up on the right there. You'll find countless threads on hydration and what to wear and what to eat and just about everything else you could wonder. Including lots of stuff on your Garmin. I think there may also be a half-marathon training group hiding around here somewhere. Second, consider making your log public, so people can look at your training before answering your questions. As for the pace teams, it depends on the event. Is it a big half? Are you all starting together or in separate corrals? Either way, it's usually pretty simple - a guy holding a sign with your time goal on it. Find him or her before the race starts (or line up in that corral, if you aren't already), introduce yourself if you like, and make friends for 13 miles. Most of the pacers I've seen do a really, really good job of both keeping you on pace and, in some cases, keeping you entertained. Have fun!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Ringmaster

Jake, thanks for the quick reply! I will definitely check out the search feature, and I will also go back and make my log public, though you won't see very much because I just started logging my runs. Most of all, thank you for telling me what to expect as far as pacers. I'll plan on going with the 2:10 pace team and leaving them if I feel like I can push it in the last couple of miles. Thanks again!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
        Mile by Mile

My $0.02 1. Eat what you're used to eating before long runs and drink what you're used to drinking before long runs. 2. Wear what you're used to wearing ... the advice I follow is dress as if it were 20*F warmer. 3. Pace teams work by keeping a constant pace to reach a certain time goal. The leaders are (should be!) experienced runners, friendly, helpful, etc. 4. Get there early!! ... to use the bathroom (if the lines are really bad, pee outside), get in the starting area, etc. You don't want to stress at the beginning of the race. 5. Have fun!!! You KNOW you ran run the distance, so enjoy it! MTA: for the Garmie, turn of the "auto lap" function and just hit it manually at each mile.
          2009: BQ?