2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew, you are not allowed to use bikes (or cars) at the Squamish race.  Or Keen's "wizard sticks" - which yes, you pretty much need at Ouray to stay upright more often than not.

Fun fact: when I was reading about you sleepwalking event around Ouray and followed the rabbit trail to Tahoe 200 I TOTALLY remembered the guy you got into a race with at the end. 178 mile warm up. Fun times. Ouray has some trails similar to what I've run on lunch. I hate them but they're also kind of fun. Jeeps suck. Toyotas are WAY cooler.  Lastly, you've now made me reconsider my aluminum black diamond wizard sticks. I knew the $20 was worth it and the whole "aluminum won't break like carbon fiber" thing was garbage.

So you have to somehow pass your partner. Sounds like you end up running the entire thing together. Could you just walk and enter the exchange point ahead of the "active runner" by 5 seconds, hand off, then continue on together? The only samsquanch race I can find up there is the big one Salomon puts on. I assume the aid station has nothing by syrup and Canadian candy.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Where is the Darkwave Detectorist when you need her?  Or even Google when someone google-fu's...

While it is true that I am running the Squamish 50/50 this weekend, and you can't use bikes, cars or wizard sticks, the rest is... shall we say, presidential?  I.e. I was lying through my teeth.

This is a picture of the skyscrapers of Squamish.

This is the page that describes the 50/50 point-to-point relay where the person resting has to go faster than the racer.

I am starting to think though that there would be real demand for a race like that, for the intellectual challenge and the strategery.

Sorry to be weird.  My DW: "You do enough weird stuff that people are gonna think it's possible."

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Brew: That reminds me.  The weekend of Hardrock, there was a big Toyota FJ Cruiser gathering in Ouray.  People from all over the country - who don't know each other - were converging because they own the same car, so they could drive around on jeep roads together.  There was also a similar Mini gathering that drove through Silverton.  It was kind of odd.  Like runners talking on the internet, although without the staying power.

Speed Surplus

"Clever: I know of people missing the cutoff by 1 second, but if you miss by very few seconds after your time was revised, that will be a new category of pain.  That seems trophy-worthy but I hope you don't get to add that to your race hardware."

As of right now, I feel like I won't be upset if I miss the cutoff. Even if it's by one second. Because such a big part of my goal was simply QUALIFYING, and that's something that can't be taken away.

Perhaps more importantly, having qualified once, I know that I can do it again. Especially since my training cycle was far from ideal in the early going this time around.

We'll see, though. It's one thing to think you'll be OK with something, but it's another to actually follow through. I am anxious to find out one way or another, of course.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Max - I will get to your report eventually.  I was distracted by Janet's Owyhigh report and read that instead.  Tell her I enjoyed it!  Also, nice trolling on the 50-50.

Ace - I hope your calf is doing okay.  When my calf got tweaky a couple of weeks before CIM I think I rolled, self-massaged, and iced three or four times a day.  It got better in a hurry, but I don't know if what I did helped!  I enjoyed your report, too.

FB - It's like the warranty just ran out, or something.  Bodies have way too many moving parts.  I've been watching Westworld and longing for a fresh robot duplicate I could just ease my brain into and not have to deal with all these aches.

Skechers - I ran in the Go Run Ride for a while and liked them!  They wore out quickly, though actually I still have the trail version and used them yesterday.  Maybe I should get some more pairs.

Clever - I hope you don't get skunked by the cutoff anyway.

Oregon - race is, gulp, a week from Saturday.

I had a really good LR on Sunday, and a solid tempo run on Wednesday, but I'm still approaching this race with trepidation.  I haven't been running the kind of mileage that would let me extrapolate my tempo pace into race pace (plus I really feel it requires 6 miles rather than 5 miles) and so the sub-1:45 goal is possibly too ambitious.  Which feels horrible to say, when it's NINE MINUTES slower than my PR from only five years ago, and four minutes slower than my time on a harder course two years ago.  But on the other hand, I made myself feel better by playing with an age-grade calculator.  At 55 (which I will be one month from tomorrow!) the equivalent of my age-50 PR would be 1:42:30, and I know I'm not in that kind of relative shape.  1:49 would be 75% AG, which is respectably in regional class territory.

I had a second session with my body guy, and things are going fairly well.  We have it figured out, now, that if before I change position (like, before I get out of bed, or out of a chair, or prepare to walk somewhere or start running) I think about activating my core and flex each of my butt-cheeks (er, glutes) separately, in turn, for three or for reps, then start walking with my right leg (the one with the pain issue) - it doesn't hurt!  We are thinking it's something along the lines of dead-butt syndrome, where the muscles that are doing things because the glutes aren't doing what they're supposed to are pulling on the scar tissue around the sfx site, and also overworking and getting sore because they're not supposed to be doing the main work of propelling me. Bodies are weird.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew: That reminds me.  The weekend of Hardrock, there was a big Toyota FJ Cruiser gathering in Ouray.  People from all over the country - who don't know each other - were converging because they own the same car, so they could drive around on jeep roads together.  There was also a similar Mini gathering that drove through Silverton.  It was kind of odd.  Like runners talking on the internet, although without the staying power.

Like a big party in Sacramento in December each year? All the cool kids have been there and they have shirts from previous years. People share stories from past years such as the Monsoon Year, or the time they gave away beer to an elite Olympic athlete? If I say "olympic" do I need to say "elite"?

Google-Fu says it's the FJ Summit. They also do it in the Rubicon. The difference is it isn't when the cool kids are out there for a few nights.

I think I'm the weird friend/relative everyone has until I see what you're doing and find what I'm doing completely logical. Do you even like hats?

ilana Remember how people were talking about 80% age group being a BIG accomplishment? You could probably surprise yourself with a sub 1:49 this weekend. Good luck.

I'm shocked I am almost done with my weekly mileage. I was lazy this morning and decided against rolling out of bed for a simple 5 mile run then doing a lunch run and having Saturday off. I'll probably take NeRP out tomorrow morning so he can get his nap and my running streak can continue. I think running streaks for days running are stupid. I get so tired of running daily and want a day off.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Question for Ilana, FB, OMR, and any other senior who's breaking down lately...

Would you be less decrepit if you'd started running just 3y ago (rather than 10+ years ago)?   For me, I think the answer is yes.

(Max appears to be indestructible...)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Where is the Darkwave Detectorist when you need her?  Or even Google when someone google-fu's...

You rang....?

Ilana - funny - even though I'm younger than you, I find that I have to give a lot of thought as to how I sleep, sit, etc... in order to stay healthy.

Smax - I know people who are into that - they just get together and talk about their cars.  Or their cats.  I find the cats more understandable.

CK - I've been using Runalyze, but I don't think I get anything out of it other than my running efficiency score (which doesn't actually affect any of my training decisions).  Weirdly, despite using it for several months, it claims it doesn't have enough data to predict my race times.  Other than speculating I can break 3:38:54 for a marathon.

Hi all.  Had a death in the family (my grandfather passed at the age of 100, so not really a shock), and so I need to head out to his service next week.  The service is in Collyer, Kansas (go ahead, Google it - I'll wait).

Right now I think I'm flying into Kansas City on Monday afternoon, driving to Topeka and staying there for the night.  I'll run in Topeka on Tuesday morning, then drive to Collyer (and no - there is no set time for the service - just "when everyone gets there some time on Tuesday" - I may scream).  Then after everything, I'll drive to either Kansas City or Denver and fly home from there, either Tuesday night or more likely Wednesday morning (I'm balancing all the travel around work conference call commitments that can't be postponed until next week.

When I do my will, it will stipulate that all activities related to my passing will occur within 20 miles of a major metropolitan airport, and that those activities will all have clearly communicated start and ending times.

11 miles today, including a track workout of 3200, 2x800, 2x200 in 12:34 (6:21/6:13), 2:56, 2:52, 40, and 39.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

I'm slated to run the USATF Masters road mile champs in Flint, MI next Friday, but I may pull out.  I'm not in great shape right now, and it's going to be hard to turn around from this grand tour of Kansas and travel up to Michigan.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

dw sorry about the loss. My grandfather died a week before CIM. I told my father if it HAD to be Sunday I wouldn't be available until 1:00pm at the earliest. The moved it to Saturday and were very understanding. For out of towners such as myself there was a reimbursement for travel expenses if you want to throw that in to your will. My step father doesn't see a point. I hope you're not the executor as I've heard it's an even bigger headache. Denver Airport is pretty big if you've never been there. I assume Collyer is going to be really flat and full of 1,000 people or less.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dw sorry about the loss. My grandfather died a week before CIM. I told my father if it HAD to be Sunday I wouldn't be available until 1:00pm at the earliest. The moved it to Saturday and were very understanding. For out of towners such as myself there was a reimbursement for travel expenses if you want to throw that in to your will. My step father doesn't see a point. I hope you're not the executor as I've heard it's an even bigger headache. Denver Airport is pretty big if you've never been there. I assume Collyer is going to be really flat and full of 1,000 people or less.

I will definitely include that reimbursement - this is going to be an expensive trip - at least $1500 after adding it all up.

Collyer is 105 people and falling.  It is classified as a ghost town.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

max:  Thoroughly enjoyed your RR.  Kind of makes me want to run an ultra (which I am currently defining as anything longer than a 5K).  ;-)

rovatti:  Interesting question.  I do think my knee issue was something other than "wear and tear" (the surgeon indicated that it was an acute injury, not chronic).  Having said that, it's hard to contemplate the "wear and tear of being a couch potato" vs. the "wear and tear of running,"  especially with a lot of high mileage.  My knees were already arthritic when I started running 8 years ago, so who knows how much more they would have deteriorated if I had waited another 5 years.  I think they were in better shape (less pain) when I was running 80+ mpw.

To be blunt, I think the latest issue with my calf is one of stupidity.  The strength work I was doing - which was pretty extensive - didn't mean my knee was fully healed for running, and I wasn't paying attention to the fact that I was compensating.  To continue down the path of stupidity I am on, I am doing something completely counter-intuitive...running faster.  It's easier for me to focus on hip extension at a faster pace, so rather  25 minutes of running @ 10:00/mile, most everything is sub-8:00/mile, with some I- and R-pace running tossed in whenever I feel like it.  But it's all short, with walk breaks...1000 meters is my longest continuous run over the past few weeks, and today was my longest daily total thus far, coming in at a whopping 5000 meters.  (And I could tell in the 1K that my form was starting to break down, or that I was compensating because my knee still has some fluid in it...or maybe this is just how it's going to be from now on, and distance running is part of my past, not my present/future.)

Hey to everyone.  It's smoky out...

OMR

max:  Thoroughly enjoyed your RR.  Kind of makes me want to run an ultra (which I am currently defining as anything longer than a 5K).  ;-)

rovatti:  Interesting question.  I do think my knee issue was something other than "wear and tear" (the surgeon indicated that it was an acute injury, not chronic).  Having said that, it's hard to contemplate the "wear and tear of being a couch potato" vs. the "wear and tear of running,"  especially with a lot of high mileage.  My knees were already arthritic when I started running 8 years ago, so who knows how much more they would have deteriorated if I had waited another 5 years.  I think they were in better shape (less pain) when I was running 80+ mpw.

To be blunt, I think the latest issue with my calf is one of stupidity.  The strength work I was doing - which was pretty extensive - didn't mean my knee was fully healed for running, and I wasn't paying attention to the fact that I was compensating.  To continue down the path of stupidity I am on, I am doing something completely counter-intuitive...running faster.  It's easier for me to focus on hip extension at a faster pace, so instead of 25 minutes of running @ 10:00/mile, most everything is sub-8:00/mile, with some I- and R-pace running tossed in whenever I feel like it.  But it's all short, with walk breaks...1000 meters is my longest continuous run over the past few weeks, and today was my longest daily total thus far, coming in at a whopping 5000 meters.  (And I could tell in the 1K that my form was starting to break down, or that I was compensating because my knee still has some fluid in it...or maybe this is just how it's going to be from now on, and distance running is part of my past, not my present/future.)

Hey to everyone.  It's smoky out...

OMR

Oops..went to make a grammatical correction, but hit "Quote" rather than "Modify." 

AceHarris

Admit it, you just like quoting yourself, OMR!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Question for Ilana, FB, OMR, and any other senior who's breaking down lately...

Would you be less decrepit if you'd started running just 3y ago (rather than 10+ years ago)?   For me, I think the answer is yes.

(Max appears to be indestructible...)

Well, my current injury is related to my stress fracture, which is related to bone loss, which is slowed by weight-bearing exercise, so - maybe, maybe not?