Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Fishyone

Since I don't have access to Mikkey's training It's a bit of a guess.....but based purely on the amount of "smack talk" so far my prediction is:

CalBears   2:59:58- Perfectly even splits and a metronome 182 cadence.

Mikkey       2:59:59- He will dive for the finish line but Tyson will break out of the crowd and slow him down just enough.

Both athletes will claim victory and demand drug testing.  The ensuing scandal will tear apart the "Competitive Jerks" thread and chaos will ensue.  Oh yeah and RP will quietly begin training in October and set another PR

Fishy - I don't see any attention to our showdown honestly Smile It still will be fun, I hope it is fun to follow for people here, but it will be fun for me for sure and I hope it will be fun for Mikkey too. I will have to definitely treat him to dinner - hope he will find time for that - as I know his trip is kind of short. We are jokingly talking about documentary about our "rivalry", but the funny thing - short video would be enough - last October I met Mikkey in London, we even didn't take a photo together . That's hilarious! But I start to really thinking about CIM now - I hope Mikkey will not injure himself and we would have a decent race together. I know the result of the outcome, but will leave it until the after the race Smile.

But for now I would like to have an  open poll: please vote who you will think wins CIM - Mikkey or CalBears? Please people - don't be shy - just express your opinion - I promise nobody will take it against you  - it should be fun, so, please vote !!!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oh yeah and RP will quietly begin training in October and set another PR

I mean....it's entirely possibly and would be the nail in the coffin in the discussion of CIM vs Boston as to which is an easier course to PR.

Wait...October is like next week.  I'd better start getting really worried about marathon pace and not being in PR marathon shape training.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

The ensuing scandal will tear apart the "Competitive Jerks" thread and chaos will ensue.  

I'm fairly sure that if this thread was capable of being torn apart, it would've happened by now lol.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DavePNW

I mean....it's entirely possibly and would be the nail in the coffin in the discussion of CIM vs Boston as to which is an easier course to PR.

RP runs Boston the one year in 10 that there’s good weather, and now it’s an easy course.

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Fishy - Let me know if you want either of those two potential pre-Philly races on the board.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP runs Boston the one year in 10 that there’s good weather, and now it’s an easy course.

I don't think the course has changed. I could be wrong though. 

Fishy I just realized, maybe for the second time, you're qualified for New York 2024. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I don't think the course has changed. I could be wrong though. 

+1. You got great weather, some might even say CIM weather, but your point about the courses are valid: is Boston an easier course on a similar weather day as CIM? I still say no. You never said Boston is “easier” to run in general. One of the things we point out about CIM is you will get a B+ or better weather day 90% of the time. Even if somehow it is easier to run, if you had to stake your life on a PR, you would run CIM every single time.

You had a hell of a performance at Boston and I wouldn’t be surprised if you throw down another PR at CIM.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fishyone

Commander- Thanks, I'll be forced to make a decision soon. Funny part of me doesn't want to break a good run of training with a race.  I usually want/need a tune up half but I feel like I'm fairly sure where my fitness level is now.

Mark- Was the thread capable, yes.  But were they willing to put in the disciplined work necessary to rip apart the thread?? You know how many slackers we have around here.......

Dave +1 on the weather.  I think I'm close to 10 Boston's now and last year was # 2 weather wise.  Unfortunately I've realized that as I've aged heat is the number one factor. That's one of the reasons I was so impressed with your last race.....well done from a fellow "old man."

RP- Yes, I qualified in 23 then sat in the NY "queue" for a couple of hours and found out a couple of months later that I didn't get in.  I should probably try again in 24' .....If JMac gets his mojo back and runs it I would do it for that reason alone!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Fishy - Races really do get in the way of good training, don't they?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Fishyone

Fishy - Races really do get in the way of good training, don't they?

Yes, and mileage goals/obsessing...Between the pesky taper and recovery we waste some serious miles

Running Problem

Problem Child

+1. You got great weather, some might even say CIM weather, but your point about the courses are valid: is Boston an easier course on a similar weather day as CIM? I still say no. You never said Boston is “easier” to run in general. One of the things we point out about CIM is you will get a B+ or better weather day 90% of the time. Even if somehow it is easier to run, if you had to stake your life on a PR, you would run CIM every single time.

You had a hell of a performance at Boston and I wouldn’t be surprised if you throw down another PR at CIM.

*long winded reply slightly shortened*

Boston is a PR course.

It might depend what your PR is. 

I don't think I've ever run an "easy" marathon. Even the one I casually jogged in my town a week after Boston wasn't easy. I'd run CIM over Boston because it's close. How much money are we going to spend to get the PR we want? Fly across the country (globe) and spend 3 days in a hotel, or drive (ride a train) a few hours and spend ONE night in a hotel? Disney WORLD vs Disney LAND...which would you rather take your kids to? I'm going to guess World because you don't have to fly to California.

If I lived on the East Coast I'm sure there is an equally appealing marathon to get your fast race time in. Grandmas, Air Force, Shamrock, etc.

The hard part about Boston is the crowd(s). Seriously. It seems like Boston was the ONLY good weather marathon this year. Fishy had some bad weather and a long hill climb a few months ago. MMerkle had unseasonal 20 mph head/cross winds for his first sub-3. I think DavePNW just said this race, or maybe it was Eugene (he didn't run) was also unseasonable weather and his recent "major downhill cheater course" PR was unseasonably warm. So weather....bah. Even CIM had a few bad weather years, and I'll agree the weather on West Coast is better than the East Coast. like....always unless Mother Nature is trying to burn the West Coast down. There are 1/3 the runners on COMPARABLE streets at CIM. This alone makes the course more appealing for a PR.

The crowds of Boston just kind of suck. Not just the spectators. Running PR pace practically "nuts to butts" and touching elbows sucks. A mile or two? Fine. 7-9 miles of it? fuck that. Combine the people on the sidelines leaning in to see someone or standing ON the course and it's just not conducive to a good day. Literally, I'm in the parade they came to watch. I'll remember to bring candy to toss out to kids if I run it again. no really, y'all know I'd do it while smiling. If the Boston Athletic Association limited entry to 15,000 runners the Boston Marathon would be a more enjoyable experience, and a better race.

Boston vs CIM COURSE....Prepare for the hills at Boston and you'll be fine. Don't try to bank time, and don't lose control of your pace/speed on those steeper downhills. It's impossible to hit the tangents at Boston because of the crowd which MIGHT make a difference. The Newton hills are going to take your PR pace and slow you 2 minutes (rough number I made up just now). Typical basic marathon advice. Train for the course as much as possible. The last 6 miles of Boston's course can be very rewarding if you're able to take advantage of it. If you smoked yourself because you're worried about 4 miles of hill running you'll die every time. 220 ft drop in the final 5 miles of the course vs pancake flat CIM final miles. Get to 21 ready to run probably applies to both courses. Boston just has more appeal to fast running because of the course. Apparently at CIM you can count down the streets block by block to the finish. It has the stupid S turn at the bank before you go under the freeway then a U turn at the finish. Boston has one hill with a downhill to LONG flat finish.

Mile 21 was a 172-177 heart rate and I dropped from 6:30/mi pace (high from thinking I was through the hills) to a 7:30/mi pace.  If you're not having a good day here you're done and no amount of elevation loss will save you. Looking at my Boston long run training I was getting 6-1,200 ft of elevation gain on weekends. Plenty of long runs with 7-800 ft of elevation gain. I'm sure living at 4,500 ft gave me an advantage, and running hills because I was afraid of the Newton hills helped me be successful on race day. I do remember being worried in 2019 about the 10 mph headwind at CIM from miles 7-13. It didn't actually arrive, or perhaps I was too high on race day adrenaline to notice it.

Boston didn't hurt until I crossed the finish line. CIM has hurt from 40k at least once. I'm extremely grateful for what Boston gave me on April 17, 2023.

5K 20:43 06:40 9.00
                        10K 20:49 06:42 8.96
                        15K 20:48 06:42 8.96
                        20K 20:39 06:39 9.03
                        HALF 04:33 06:41 8.99
                        25K 16:13 06:42 8.97
                        30K 21:06 06:48 8.84
                        20 Miles 09:00 06:38 9.06
                        21 Miles 06:56 06:56 8.65
                        35K 05:00 06:41 8.98
                        23 Miles 08:25 06:46 8.89
                        24 Miles 06:33 06:33 9.16
                        40K 05:44 06:40 9.01
                        25.2 Miles 02:23 06:55 8.68
                        Finish Net 06:30 06:23 9.41

Check out that final mile.  I can remember seeing the painting on the ground and the thought process going through my head when I saw my total time on my watch. "OK, you can PR just don't fuck this up."

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Anyone up for the Rotterdam Marathon next April?…Flavio/MickJogger?  

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Both athletes will claim victory and demand drug testing.  The ensuing scandal will tear apart the "Competitive Jerks" thread and chaos will ensue.  Oh yeah and RP will quietly begin training in October and set another PR

I hope fentanyl isn’t on the banned list of drugs. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I hope fentanyl isn’t on the banned list of drugs. 

From WAVA:

S7 Class

The following narcotics, including all optical isomers, e.g. d- and l- where relevant, are prohibited.

• Buprenorphine
                              • Dextromoramide
                              • Diamorphine (heroin)
                              • Fentanyl and its derivatives
                              • Hydromorphone
                              • Methadone
                              • Morphine
                              • Nicomorphine
                              • Oxycodone
                              • Oxymorphone
                              • Pentazocine
                              • Pethidine

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It looks like the bib transfer window for CIM doesn't open until October 30, so plenty of time for folks on the transfer.

RP - I'll set a reminder in my calendar to get back to you in the beginning of November.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)