Critique Me (Read 333 times)

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Soul sister!

No, hear me out.  36 years old.  5'5', ~ 130lbs.  May have asthma.  (Working on diagnosis.)  Not skinny fat (~18% bodyfat, I'd guess, though it's been a year since I've had it measured at the lab.) but woefully bad at running.  Type A academic. Point is, I look fit, and muscular, and like I should be able to run fast.  At a local 5 miler one of the volunteers suggested I move up near the front.

Ha, ha, ha.   I will take my nine-minute miles and hide here in the back so I don't get passed by the jogging strollers.

Anyhow, if you're at all like me, time off means having to regain a lot of fitness.   Maybe shoot for a solid 3 days a week running, and add some weightliftng to build some muscle.

And get out of your own head in races.   Aside from the featherweight elites, IME body type has very little correlation with top speed, at least not that you can tell by looking.  Smile

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Canadian Meg also mentioned leaving that damn garmin at home and that is really good advice, I just love the data!  But yeah, it holds me back and I know that.  I agree also that HappyFeet gave some solid info that I will use!!

I love my Garmin too. In the heat, I'm still wearing it but doing some of my runs by time instead of distance. It helps me not think about pace when I know I have to slow down 30-60 seconds per mile. I do one or two runs a week without my Garmin; those are known distance routes. I also don't wear the Garmin my first run after a race.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

From the Internet.

Consistency will help for sure - you just have to make running a part of your routine and leave the excuses at the door. I'm another early morning runner and that definitely helps with consistency. I keep my running clothes in an easy-to-access basket so all I have to do is roll out of bed, throw on whatever's on top of the pile in the basket, and head out before my body even realizes what I'm about to do to it.

JimmyB's post is great - I don't train by HR very often right now, but I did a stint of Maffetone method training over the winter and it had a huge impact on how I view effort during easy and recovery runs versus workouts, as well as making sure I take my total stress into account when scheduling my training for a given week.

It's all so very psychological...it's funny that I can bust out a solid 9:00 minute pace at the end of a 6 mile run for the last mile, yet at this race today and I was like F this noise I'm gonna walk a bit.  That's also demoralizing.  Doing more races and just getting over that is probably another great way to go.

Happy Saturday everyone and thanks for the advice.  Maybe I'll get really brave and post my goal PR: <30 minutes 5k, baby!  (I just got nervous admitting that).

I think you're definitely capable of hitting your goal and fairly soon too, given the information in bold and seeing your log - your last 5K wasn't all that much faster than your usual runs so you certainly have more speed in you right now if you find some mental toughness and just push a bit harder (though I can't speak to the asthma aspect of things). Racing hurts for everyone, it just hurts longer for those of us who aren't running super fast Smile Racing more often will help with the mental aspect, running more miles in general will help with the actual aerobic fitness, and once your base is stronger and you're more consistent it'll help to add workouts that will make you more comfortable with being uncomfortable - I've found tempo and progression runs in particular to be fantastic for this.

onefatchick

So, I do a "race" today and it hurts and sucks more than any regular run I do (same place I train, literally same trail).  It was hot, sunny and my weekly running has been bad.  I was using a RW training plan but got sidelined mid-June due to life, sick dog, laziness, etc.  Today is basically what I expected.  However, I am thoughtful now.  I mean, wtf do I keep trying?  I'm certain I have more potential.

I would not underestimate how much "hot and sunny"  adds to the suck factor and how much it slows down your time, or that some days, for whatever reason, just suck more than others..  Sounds like your June had a lot of stress and that takes time to come back from.  Don't compare yourself to your sis or anyone else; it will only add to your stress.  If you are able to run consistently your fitness will improve.   I like the suggestion from folks of trying to run mornings. Personally, I lose motivation as the day drags on and sometimes I will skip "just this one run";--- too many days like that and pretty soon I am falling way short in mileage that can not be made up.

Joann Y

The simplest thing that you can do for yourself is to start running every day. Lace up and get out the door. And maybe, maybe have a weekly mileage goal. I find that if I have to think about much more than that, it gets too complicated. That is the base at least. Anything additional (workouts, training plans, stretching, garmins, etc) should be serving this purpose of getting out the door every day. Not to say you should never take a day off, but it should be taken in order to further your goal of continuing to get out the door.

kilkee

runktrun

I appreciate your honest post and such out-loud musings will help you focus on WHY you want to run and HOW you can make it enjoyable.

First, don't worry about your 5k time right now.  Looking at your log, you're not running enough miles frequently enough to help you consistently "race" faster than you train.  So your apparent physical limitations really are partly due to low mileage.  On the surface, that's easy to fix:  run more often!  Ha!  But the hard part is finding a time or place or routine that you look forward to that helps you get out the door every day...

Second, a few people have suggested morning running for various reasons, yourself included, but the best time to run is whenever you have time.  If you have time after a long day of work and you can start to look forward to that short jaunt and "your" time to unwind, then by all means, run at night!  I could run more miles if I ran in the morning, but I'm tired and shaky and dizzy and slow and it' such a drag so I just sleep in as late as possible (ok, 6:45) and run after work.  I am consistent when I run after work, even if I do feel drained.  Trying to force myself to run before work just adds to my stress, so I stopped worrying about it.

Finally, it sounds like you are sorting out WHY you want to run.  Do you like to feel fast?  Do you like the feeling of working hard?  Are you competitive and admittedly just want to beat other people?  (I run to win, yep, for me, winning is important :P )  Do you like to see your training efforts culminate in faster and faster race times?  Or do you simply want to unwind outside?  Do you like exploring neighborhoods and new roads?  There's been lots of good and supportive advice, and I think it will just take some time for you to try a few different things and find your groove Smile  In the meantime, if you can run a bit more consistently, you will likely see a drop in your 5k time just based on aerobic fitness.  Wimping out during a race is a tough mental block, too.  It WILL feel uncomfortable, but you'll make it through stronger.  Try a strategy like focusing on passing a few people at a time.  Or in your regular runs, pick up the pace for a block and focus on the feeling of speed and strength to drown out the "this sucks!"  Your redline is probably much faster than you give yourself credit for.

Good luck and keep at it!  Check back in with us!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

hectortrojan

I would run consistently without worrying about the pace. Run at the pace you feel comfortable with where you can hold conversation. Run where you enjoy. Run with some friends if that's what you like.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The simplest thing that you can do for yourself is to start running every day. Lace up and get out the door. And maybe, maybe have a weekly mileage goal. I find that if I have to think about much more than that, it gets too complicated. That is the base at least. Anything additional (workouts, training plans, stretching, garmins, etc) should be serving this purpose of getting out the door every day. Not to say you should never take a day off, but it should be taken in order to further your goal of continuing to get out the door.

Yes!

AMKinCO

Thanks again to everyone for the advice!!!

I got busy with some fly fishing and work this week and have NOT run since Saturday, not even thought much about it...and I am dying to get out there now! Heading now!  

Kilkee had asked why I run, and really it is the peace, solitude and mental clarity that comes with it.  My mood can make a 180 from before and then after a run.  Like today, rough and sad stuff at work and all I want to do is get out there and run it away - I'm sure there are other medical types on this forum and I don't know about you, but running makes me feel like I am out there for all of my sick people that can't, I envision running alongside them or dragging them along as they "run" their own race in a hospital bed.  Or for those that pass away, I run for their spirit.  Weird, yes.  That is my thing though and it is my personal way to deal.

So...why do I care about time and stuff?  Just naturally competitive and fast is very, very fun.  I started incorporating some strides and speed work during a recent training plan and it feels incredible.  So I guess I also run to get better and would love to be faster for longer and more consistently.  I can bust out a 6:30 or so pace when the spirit strikes me (yes, too fast and asking for injury, I know) but for .2 miles or so I feel like I could do anything, and my dog loves it.

I appreciate all of the perspectives and will incorporate it all, starting with this run tonight. The data junkie in me, is going to wear my watch and prob HR monitor, but I love the science.   I promise not to look down or care though Wink

AMKinCO

Soul sister!

No, hear me out.  36 years old.  5'5', ~ 130lbs.  May have asthma.  (Working on diagnosis.)  Not skinny fat (~18% bodyfat, I'd guess, though it's been a year since I've had it measured at the lab.) but woefully bad at running.  Type A academic. Point is, I look fit, and muscular, and like I should be able to run fast.  At a local 5 miler one of the volunteers suggested I move up near the front.

Ha, ha, ha.   I will take my nine-minute miles and hide here in the back so I don't get passed by the jogging strollers.

Anyhow, if you're at all like me, time off means having to regain a lot of fitness.   Maybe shoot for a solid 3 days a week running, and add some weightliftng to build some muscle.

And get out of your own head in races.   Aside from the featherweight elites, IME body type has very little correlation with top speed, at least not that you can tell by looking.  Smile

Sister!!

I hear you completely.  We even have the same body fat % according to some fancy machine at my gym.   It's a weird thing to complain about, but I feel like I should run to match peoples expectations - but really, who cares?!

slugbug

Let me first say I think its awesome that you are trying.  Are you running because you want to and enjoy the endorphin rush?  Are you going to train for a race because that's a goal to work towards.  It sounds like you might need to get some good protein.  What are you eating for protein?

AMKinCO

Hey there just an update if anyone was interested, I took a lot of advice from folks and mainly went ahead and took a couple weeks off running last summer, then started up again in August without a Garmin or anything...just ran to run.

I'm a numbers junkie so I quickly invited the Garmin back to the party.  I started following a Lydiard Running Wizard Plan for a theoretical HM and this really got me to focus on the point of certain work-outs and ramping up mileage - I actually did get a little hurt (L distal tibia pain/piriformis pain) and just fatigued over the last 1-2 months so I once more dialed it back, added in some weight training and quit beating myself up for missing a day here and there.

Results: I got a PR in a race last weekend (don't laugh!) but it was 29:21 or a 9:27 min/mile in a little 5k.

My next goal is to get under 29 minutes for a 5k in February and under 60 minutes in my (and everyone else's)  favorite 10k the Bolder Boulder in May 2016.

So, anyway thanks again for all the advice last summer!

Congratulations on your new pr! You got really good advice in this thread, and it's great to read that it worked.

kilkee

runktrun

That's fantastic!  Conceiving of a "purpose" for every run helps focus the long term goals, even if you aren't running a lot more mileage.  Keep after it, but keep it fun!  Enjoy your progress and go smash that 29:00 barrier!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.