When you get unexpected support (Read 731 times)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

In a strange commingling of fate and layoffs, I've inherited a nicer office with a view of trees and a bird house. I moved in on Monday but I didn't have time to put my Asics Hell and Back 26.2 poster up on the wall. When I came back from a meeting, my poster was up on the wall, right where I can't help but see it practically every minute of the day. The guy in the office next to mine, a cyclist, put it up for me. Smile Anyone have any tales of finding support when or where you least expect it?
    Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
    DoppleBock

My co-workers schedule meetings upstairs the day(s) after marathon or longer races to laugh at me walking back down. In their own way this is support - As they take notice of when the races are run.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

#artbydmcbride

Awww Smile

Runners run

I was doing a fell marathon way, away from home and I was aware that my rival club had a group of supporters popping up around the course, they had signs and their club vest up on a pole to rally their troops. At about mile 13 I saw them again, but this time they had hand written a sign cheering ME on.....since I was the only guy from my club doing the race it really meant a lot. We were rivals again the next week Wink

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... I saw them again, but this time they had hand written a sign cheering ME on........
            Awwww, that is nice Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

redleaf

Just a regular run, crossing at a cross-walk. I was thinking the guy in the pickup truck had loads of time to go through before I got to his side but he waited till I was all the way across, rolled down the window and (while I was waiting with great fear for what was going to be said) shouted out "Good job! Keep going!") Smiled for days...

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I will occasionally get verbal support while out on the paved rail trail. Probably 90% of the time it is from heavyset folks older than my own parents. One guy I would see quite often last Summer...I'm guessing he was 70ish. Sometimes he'd be on his recumbent bike, other times walking way down the trail with a Camelbak on. He told me on one jaunt several miles from town that he'd had back surgery recently. I was equally impressed that a guy with physical problems wasn't letting back issues keep him down...a lot of people would.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I've gotten 3-4 co-workers to start running, and I try to always make a bigger deal out of their races than mine, but I had 4 emails sent to me before my marathon and at least 5 immediately after the race asking for how I did. This was the day that someone torched a bet with a co-worker (he had to do broad street sub 1:56:00, and he did it in 1:40:00), so I definitely didn't think anyone would ask about my race. Coolest during race: While stretching at mile 16 of my marathon, someone shouted, “#1109, are you ok”. This complete stranger yanked me up and paced me through 17. His name is Chuck, and he was a local recreational runner that comes out to pace people and help them mentally re-focus. That was simply awesome and saved my race.

Chris
                  PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Last summer I went on a 6 mile run late morning. That is a huge mistake in the summer in south Florida. Anytime after... 6am is HOT. Let alone 10:30. (Though I really learned my lesson right? Just got back from an almost equally miserable run). Anyway, at one point, I must have looked like death. Maybe 100 yards before I reached a turn around point (past the halfway point, but the end of a street, time to turn around), I passed an older man in his late 60s, early 70s, out washing his boat. He waved, said hello. When I turned around and went by again, he had 2 Gatorade bottles and a cup of ice for me. I felt great for the rest of the run. Smile

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

A Saucy Wench

I had another mom insist on babysitting my kids after I BQ'd so dh and I could go out to celebrate. which was pretty cool!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

After qualifying for Boston, I came in to the office to find my finish picture (from my RA thread) with my time on the exterior wall of my cube, and a yellow finish line tape that I had to "run through" to get to my desk. They also posted a photoshopped version of the pic that I love.

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.