Long sleeve shirt for summer running? (Read 2921 times)

xhristopher

Thanks for the suggestions.  My biggest wish would be not to live in the south during the summer.  Smile

Our (New England) "hot" days are equal to your average/cool summer days. Anytime someone from my neck of the woods complains about the heat think "eh, kinda hot, but not too bad." 

I've suffered living in southern Alabama 4 years and enjoyed living in Virginia for 7. Now, I've been in Massachusetts for 13 and have NEVER complained about the New England heat. Folks here are so tough when it comes to the cold but too often wilt when it gets over 80.

I guess it's whatever your used to ... and I'm a freak. Boston hit 100 today, an easy 100. Of all the places I've lived, and that includes more than mentioned above, New England has the best summers. We've got it good.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Many runners at Badwater wear long sleeves.  There is a line of LS hot weather clothing for running, I just cannot remember the name.

Check zombierunner.com.  I know they carry a lot of Badwater stuff.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

spinach

When I was in high school back in the 70s in Arizona, during the summer I wore a very loose long sleeve shirt when I ran in the morning.  I don't think they had any fancy performance running shirts back then, at least I didn't know anything about them so I just wore a white long sleeve button up dress shirt. I soaked it before I went out and usually would resoak it at one or two of the water fountains I went by.  I thought it helped keep me cool.  My idea for this was that I had seen pictures of the arabs wearing white, loose, long sleeve outfits and I figured they probably knew something about being outside in the heat of the desert.

You'll ruin your knees!

Good for sun protection, not much else.  Also, if the humidity is high, no dice... just more fabric to stick to you and make you hotter..

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

coastwalker

I know it doesn't work for everyone, but get out there early! I do my workouts at sunrise or earlier. I enjoy the coolest part of the day, and don't have to worry about sunscreen or long sleeves at all.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Folks here are so tough when it comes to the cold but too often wilt when it gets over 80.

I guess it's whatever your used to ...

Sounds like you're describing where I live!  Takes me a while to get use to heat...I usually spend my summers off the island (Newfoundland) to try to find some heat!!

I don't wear protection from the sun as I kinda like my farmers tan and I don't burn...just got to look at the sun and I turn brown!  But I did buy a Lululemon sunblocker shirt this week that I am hoping is going to work as a bit of a wind blocker or just a light weight long sleeve running top.  Love the cool feeling of the material but haven't tried it yet as I am in Southern Ontario in a heat wave and I bought it for the days home when you have a cool breeze to cut the chill - may not work my the purpose I bought it for!

2010 Goals! 1. Sub 27 min in a 5k. (PR - 26:36) 2. Sub 58 min in a 10k. (PR - 1:01:16) New PR July 3, 2010 58:42 3. Sub 2 hrs in a HM (PR 2:18:28 - ING Ottawa Half ) 4. Run 1,500 km for the year 5. 145 lbs by the end of 2010
              LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

A white long sleeve wicking shirt can actually be cooler than short sleeves.  It reflects the sun off your arms.
                kcam

Just an FYI - if your main concern is sun protection, darker colored shirts are better than white fabric, especially in loose-weave tech material.