5K, 8 days after a hard HM? (Read 386 times)

Any reason I should not run a 5K this weekend? Like the subject line says, it will be 8 days after a HM raced at 95% effort. Thanks in advance.
      You might be unexpectedly slow. If that's not a problem, go for it. I would say though, that if you weren't able to train right away it might not be the best idea. It's not going to make your legs explode or anything though.
      Hannibal Granite

As long as you go into it not expecting to feel particularly fresh and are not still hurting from the half then there shouldn't be a problem. I'm doing a 1/2 this Sunday and plan on doing a local 5K the following Friday evening, so only 6 days apart, and I plan on racing both of them. However, I know the 5K will not be as fast as it would be without the race the weekend before and if I'm really hurting after the half I'll skip the 5K. BTW just looked at your log - congrats on the recent half. That time translates to a low 21 5k according to McMillan so if you didn't beat yourself up to much in the half you may even have a shot at a 5K PR. I would still caution against going out to fast looking for a PR though. Go out conservatively (~7:10 or so for the first mile) and let the race come to you, if you are feeling good after the first mile you can pick up the pace. Good luck!

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

As long as you go into it not expecting to feel particularly fresh and are not still hurting from the half then there shouldn't be a problem. I'm doing a 1/2 this Sunday and plan on doing a local 5K the following Friday evening, so only 6 days apart, and I plan on racing both of them. However, I know the 5K will not be as fast as it would be without the race the weekend before and if I'm really hurting after the half I'll skip the 5K. BTW just looked at your log - congrats on the recent half. That time translates to a low 21 5k according to McMillan so if you didn't beat yourself up to much in the half you may even have a shot at a 5K PR. I would still caution against going out to fast looking for a PR though. Go out conservatively (~7:10 or so for the first mile) and let the race come to you, if you are feeling good after the first mile you can pick up the pace. Good luck!
          Thanks HG. Today is Wednesday and I feel very recovered. Thanks for taking the time to look at my log and McMillan, etc. I'm going for that 5K PR on Sunday. The lore of PRing in the 5K, 10K, and HM within 29 days is very motivating. I'm going to try to run consistent 6:45s and see what happens.