Garmin Problems- new user (Read 480 times)

Hi! I am new to this site and just tried to download this morning's run from my Garmin. Tried to read all the forum posts with similar issues but I can't find an answer. Is there a step-by-step some place for this process?. My communicator plug-in is up-to-date, just did the test as well.

It did download a bike workout. I don't know how that happened as it was erased the other day? It recognizes my Garmin (Ant) but says there is nothing to down load. My run is still in the 'history' section on the watch, so I am not sure what's up. Earlier I downloaded the run info to BT on my laptop without any problems.

I have Windows XP desktop and use Internet Explorer all up-dated.  Garmin is a 405.

Any help would be appreciated. I am sure there is something simple that I am missing.

Thanks!

Jen

Jen Southern Mississippi http://therunningartist.blogspot.com/
    eric :)

Hi Jen,

I don't have a 405 so I'm only guessing here.  I believe the 405 stores the workouts on your computer so even if you delete them from your watch, it can still be uploaded.

In regards to RunningAHEAD, was it able to find your 405?  It should display something like "Device: Forerunner 405 (Unit ID <some long number>Wink" on the importer's title bar.  If not, does it display an error message on the status bar.

eric :-)

Hi Eric,

It says in the bottom bar, "looking for device" then, "device found" then "ready" after it says "device found" then on the top is reads "Jen" that is the name of my device. Just doesn't want to find my run this morning only some old bike from days ago.Joking

It seems to find the device just fine. I may go and pull up this site on my laptop and see if I have any better luck on that.

Well that's crazy! It works totally fine on my laptop! How crazy is that but no matter this will do just fine, not sure what's up with my desktop but no reason to go crazy if this will work.

But I do have one additional question, it loaded 19 workouts, which is OK. Next time I up load will it repeat all the others? Or will it just load the last one I did?

Thanks!

eric :)

Hi Eric,

It says in the bottom bar, "looking for device" then, "device found" then "ready" after it says "device found" then on the top is reads "Jen" that is the name of my device. Just doesn't want to find my run this morning only some old bike from days ago.Joking

It seems to find the device just fine. I may go and pull up this site on my laptop and see if I have any better luck on that.

Jen,

It looks like RA was able to connect to your 405 from your desktop.  I don't know why it didn't find any workouts though.  I think other 405 users need to chime in on this because I suspect it has to do with how the Garmin software behaves.  What if you uncheck the "Import new workouts only" option?

If you leave the "Import new workouts only" option checked, then only new workouts will be downloaded the next time.

Thanks for your replies and help Eric! I'll keep you posted. Cheers!

sluggo

John

Jen,

It looks like RA was able to connect to your 405 from your desktop.  I don't know why it didn't find any workouts though.  I think other 405 users need to chime in on this because I suspect it has to do with how the Garmin software behaves.  What if you uncheck the "Import new workouts only" option?

If you leave the "Import new workouts only" option checked, then only new workouts will be downloaded the next time.

I am a 405 user but I don't know if I will be all that much help. Things just sort of worked for me.

I do have "Import new workouts only" checked and it behaves, as I was expecting.

I also keep "<label>Fill new workouts with info from the last saved workout</label>" checked b/c it is convenient for me plus "Replace GPS elevation measurements" is checked b/c I like RA's elevation measurements better.

I was nervous when I started to upload 405 data to runningahead b/c I did not want double entries for my runs. There was nothing to fear. RA very politly asks if I want each run placed in my log and I normally say - yes, put them all in.

I did NOT check "<label>Mark workout routes as publicly viewable"</label> because most of my runs start and/or stop at home and I guess I am more private than to put that on the web.

The big plus I learned on RA is to lock my bezel during my runs, especailly when I expect to get sweaty.

Anyway - maybe I said something useful here and welcome to RA!

John
                www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"