One last topic - To wear skins or not to wear skins (Read 733 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I bought a pair of skins two weeks ago and have worn them twice. The weather of my race is supposed to be 55 - 48 degrees during the race. I'm not sure if I should wear them or not in the race. Any thoughts? I want to wear them but I also don't want to mess up my race. Blame it on the taper I just have too much free time to post.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

They are compression pants used running. They are supposed to help with lactic acid build up during the race and with recovery afterwards. http://www.sportstek.net/sportskins.htm
        2011 Goals:
        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It will be too warm for them if you have not trained with them. The lactic acid thing ain't where its at. You can get compression socks that go up to just below your knees. Many swear by those and they are not as warm.

A Saucy Wench

They are compression pants used running. They are supposed to help with lactic acid build up during the race and with recovery afterwards. http://www.sportstek.net/sportskins.htm
          whew....glad you clarified that. When I was in highschool "skins" were something you definitely definitely should wear. Every time. Now...well that's kind of a personal decision. But I couldnt see how you could wear one during a race.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Menace to Sobriety

whew....glad you clarified that. When I was in highschool "skins" were something you definitely definitely should wear. Every time. Now...well that's kind of a personal decision. But I couldnt see how you could wear one during a race.
            If you noticed, he bought a pair. Optimistic, ain't he?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

They are compression pants used running. They are supposed to help with lactic acid build up during the race and with recovery afterwards.
              Lactic acid doesn't cause burn. Lactic acid isn't a waste product that causes soreness. It's a metabolic byproduct that can be broken down for energy until it builds up at a level higher than you can process it. It's not the devil. This is no time to try something new. Plus, those temps are are too warm for any kind of tights, much less compression tights, which are ususlly thicker and heavier than the average tight. 48~55°F is perfect running weather. Wear shorts and a tank top. After a mile, you won't be cold.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Dunottar

Geeze, at 55º I'm ready to say, "damn decorum", and rip my top off (if there's some sun). I can't imagine wearing tights or compression gear. But, everybody's different,... to each their own.
                xor

Geeze, at 55º I'm ready to say, "damn decorum", and rip my top off (if there's some sun). I can't imagine wearing tights or compression gear. But, everybody's different,... to each their own.
                  Shoot, at 55, I'm still in 2 shirts. "Skins". Stay away from rabbit. It stinks after awhile.