Waterproof (GTX) road running shoes (Read 87 times)

shoein

Can anyone recommend a running shoe for wet road running?

They’ll be used lightly on the roads for a couple of miles to and gym and from the gym most days, and in the gym (having wet feet in the gym is horrible).

There are many GTX trail runners out there—any that might crossover particularly well?

Other than that, I’m considering Adidas Supernova GTX.

I currently have Asics GT-2000 2 GTX. I could buy the same again but they’re not very grippy.

Thanks.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have the Mizuno Wave Rider Goretex for winter. I've never worn them in pouring rain, but they work reasonably well in snow. They have deeper tread than the normal Wave Riders.

Brooks also makes some of their road shoes in a GTX version.

shoein

Thanks. My list so far is now:

• Adidas Supernova GTX
        • Nike Pegasus Shield
        • Brooks Ghost 10 GTX
        • Mizuno Wave Rider 20 GTX

I found a GTX NB shoe but it was very ugly.

lagwagon

Brooks used to make the adrenaline in GTX but seems to have discontinued it.  still have the more neutral Ghost, and the Cascadia which is more of a trail shoe in goretex

Saucony makes the Ride in GTX, and a few other models in "water resistant" finish like the Peregrine which has a more aggressive tread.

not sure how dry any of them will keep your feet if its raining ... i've been looking for myself for added grip and warmth on slushy/wet days.  let us know if you find something that makes you happy!

shoein

Adidas Supernova GTX looked nice but I had major heel slippage, even with lock laces done up very tightly.

With my old Asics and Adidas shoes I didn't have heel slippage even when laces were not done up.

NorthNorthwest

Nike has Shield versions across a few of their different shoes, not just Pegasus. I use the Structure version (stability). I love the Nike Flyknit upper for its fit and breathability, but it means that the standard version can get soaked quickly in the rain and sometimes even when the ground is merely wet (not even raining). So I think Shield version is more of a necessity than luxury users of that shoe.

In my experience, they do a pretty good job versus the rain; but I can't imagine they're better than something with Goretex. They're as much built to shield against cold winter wind as they are rain. The bottom has more grip, and I've noticed a difference in wet or snowy/icy conditions. Again, I can't imagine it's any better than something built for trails. But I don't have anything to compare it to.

If it's raining hard your shoes will get wet after a few miles no matter what you wear, but if you only need to buy a couple miles  to the gym then it might be worth it. Similar to what you're saying, I only use them when I need them. So I can easily get away with only buying a pair every 12-18 months (I run ~2000 miles a year overall). A reasonable expense, especially if I watch for a sale.

Still kicking

The Sketchers Trail Ultra 4's and Ultra Road 2's have drainage holes. They WORK!!! They are not waterproof, but they can get drenched and they drain in several steps. In over 35 years of running, they are the most effective shoes, in wet conditions, I've ever ran in.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

brooks Cascadia GTX  or brooks adrenaline ASR GTX ( if they still make them)

been wearing both for several years & have used them for hiking and/or walking in heavy rain too.

both much more grippy than the Asics GT-2000 GTX.   The trail running version of the Brooks Adreneline is more "beefed up" than the trail running version of the Asics Gt-2000.  stiffer, stronger, more aggressive lugs for grip.

oops I misread the op.  both of the ones I mentioned are trail runners not GTX version of road running shoes.