Weightless running (Read 601 times)

jeffdonahue

I am going to get a massage today and on the website for the place I am going to (sportsspa in Woburn, MA) they have a "weightless running" treadmill (Alter-G) and I was wondering what the benefits of it might be. Anyone have any insight or information on this. I really only ask because I thought it was kind of ridiculous at first, but then saw a clip of Kara Goucher using one yesterday during the marathon coverage.
      My understanding is that it allows you to get in miles without as much impact/pounding on the body. Similar to the idea of pool running, except that it is much closer to actual running form.

Best Present Ever

Yes,who ran on one while rehabbing a stress fracture? Paula Radcliffe maybe? I thought it looked awesome. Kind of like pool running, except that you are still turning your legs over as fast.
        bap

Yes,who ran on one while rehabbing a stress fracture? Paula Radcliffe maybe? I thought it looked awesome. Kind of like pool running, except that you are still turning your legs over as fast.
          Maybe it was Deana Kastor.

Certified Running Coach
          Crocked since 2013

They had one of these at the Chicago Marathon expo last year. My friend ran on it, but I didn't. The guy running the booth said that it cost some ungodly amount of money...I thought it was like 75 grand or something. I was a little skeptical.
            2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
            jeffdonahue

They had one of these at the Chicago Marathon expo last year. My friend ran on it, but I didn't. The guy running the booth said that it cost some ungodly amount of money...I thought it was like 75 grand or something. I was a little skeptical.
              I think it is around $55,000 to buy one. The place I went to had one and they were charging around a dollar a minute to rent time on it (slight discount for longer sessions, but it was still like $40/hr). Wow.
                sure, $40/hour sounds like a lot - but if you weigh less, you will wear your shoes out slower, so you can subtract some shoe price from that $40..... assume you get 400 miles from a pair of shoes, and assume you run 8 miles on the alter-g in your $40 hour. and assume the shoe wear is reduced 50% when running this way. from my calcs, as long as your shoes cost $4,000 a pair, you will break even. i'm sold.
                - the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com