good rules to live by for beginners and experienced runners just coming back (Read 836 times)

I've been running for 5 plus years and took a little time off. about 6 weeks.when I started running again I was slower but my times improved and I started adding more miles . I quickly went from 10 m per week back up to around 30 which was a normal week. I felt great until I developed shin splints.I tride to back off a little but continue to run. That didn't work.I ended up taking almost a month off and just cross training during this time.eliptical, arch trainer strength training etc. I just ran 3 miles last night for the first time in a while and felt pretty good. Boy I missed being out on the road! Bottom line -Don't add miles too quick Listen to your body When in doubt take an extra day or 2 off. It may allow you to keep running for the long hall.
      It may allow you to keep running for the long hall.
      You should try running outside.
        Big grin
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Big grin Sometimes the "authorities" tell the long-distance indoor track coach that the kids aren't allowed to run outside when the roads are too icy. So I'll pick up DS16 after practice and he'll tell me that they ran 6 miles INSIDE the high school, up and down the narrow hallways (it's an old school). I think there have been more injuries from that (falling on slippery floors or running into door frames) than from running outside!

Me and my gang in Breck

Hay Brian. Good to have you back! I'd like to add one rule. Run alot, sometimes fast, but mostly slow.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

hey mark I see you've been racking up the miles. That's great. I'm dying to get off the machines and get out on the road on a regular basis. I just want to make sure the shin splints don't come back. I'm going to try to add the miles slowly if I can.