Garmin forerunner 235 (Read 119 times)

ATOWN25

Garmin forerunner 235...pros? Cons? Anyone use one?

I have one. It's a great watch. Only con is its hungry on battery. I charge after each run just incase. Other than that it's a solid unit.

Check dcrainmaker for gps watch reviews.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Used one for several years. Excellent watch. Some elements of it I actually prefer to my newer (more expensive) Garmin Fenix 5S. Like Piwi says, DC Rainmaker is a great source for watch reviews.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dhuffman63

Trails

I had one for years before I upgraded to the Instinct mainly for a longer battery life.  It is a great watch.

I have its sibling, the 230, which is the same watch but without the optical hrm. It's been an absolute workhorse. I've replaced the band twice with $10 bands I found on Amazon that look as good or better than the original but the watch itself just keeps on chugging. I'd buy it again.

Runners run

jdpinkerton

I love mine. I can just run and know that my distance is going to be recorded without having to try to remember my course for later and measure it out on the New Course map like I used to.

It's the first and only running watch I've ever had, so I can't offer much on how it compares to what else is out there. But, it does everything I need.

undue monkey

Mine's been bulletproof. 3.5 years old. I can still get ~6 hours of tracking time out of it per charge.

keeponrunning

I've had one for a year.  I can't speak to it's true potential on battery life because I haven't done anything much over 4 hours since I got injured last year but I do believe you can charge it on the run if necessary.  It does tend to crap out in the cold which kinda sucks in Canada-- I started a run in the high teens or low twenties at 57% and without a half hour it was flashing low battery (my friend's Suunto didn't have the same problem but it probably cost a lot more).  The only other issue I've had is the GPS gyps distance, especially on trail runs.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mine works. I used it for a 34 mile ultra marathon. Battery lasted 7.5 hours and MINE has lasted about 8 hours, or at least I think so. It has all the bells and whistles of the new smart phone watches, and I don't need many of the other features new watches have like music or Garmin Pay. When I thought I lost mine last year I bought the same thing. Not sure I'd want a fenix just due to the size and weight.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Not sure I'd want a fenix just due to the size and weight.

Big differences between the Fenix S, Fenix and Fenix X in this regard.  The S has only slightly bigger dimensions than the 235 (albeit 1.5 0z heavier) - personally I noticed it being a bit bigger but it wasn't an issue at all.  The X is a really chunky monkey though.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I have its sibling, the 230, which is the same watch but without the optical hrm. It's been an absolute workhorse. I've replaced the band twice with $10 bands I found on Amazon that look as good or better than the original but the watch itself just keeps on chugging. I'd buy it again.

Same. The 235 may be a battery hog because of the HRM, but I've had my 230 for 3.5 years and it's still great on battery life. I hit a weird stint where it stopped vibrating. Couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, but did the old trick of just banging it around with my hand, and somehow that worked. Now any time that happens, i just slap the watch a couple of times and it goes right back to vibrating.

Anyway, highly recommend, and they must be pretty cheap these days as an older version watch.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

an amazing likeness

The Forerunner 230 is a beastly workhorse. Full stop. I'd guesstimate that mine has been through over 1000 workouts in everything from below 0F, to 100F, rain, sleet, snow, rivers of sweat, snot, dropped, tossed into and onto. Only now is the battery starting to fade a bit and not hold charge as long -- I've gone from charging once a week to every 4-5 days.

Like the ForeRunner 2xx models before (205, 210, 220), it nails the sweet spot of features vs ease of use and experience to task. I'll be going with the 230 or 235 as a replacement. For sure.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

kcam

230 user here as well.

Started using it in Dec of 2016.  It's my everyday wear watch as well.  Still easily holds a weeks worth of charge.  Personally, I'd rather buy the 230 than the 235 as the wrist-based HRM is not all that and that's the difference between the two.  I'd guess the 230 battery lasts a good bit longer than the 235 due to the HRM.  Anyone know?

At any rate, I like my current setup of FR230 and Scosche Rhythm HRM.

Wing

Joggaholic

I also have the 230 for over 3.5 years. What others have already said is true, it's a no-hassle workhorse. When it breaks I'll probably get the 235 as the replacement for the added HRM (it's kind of optional for me but the price difference is small so why not).

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I also have the 230 for over 3.5 years. What others have already said is true, it's a no-hassle workhorse. When it breaks I'll probably get the 235 as the replacement for the added HRM (it's kind of optional for me but the price difference is small so why not).

Yep, I have the 230 and 235 and it’s worth paying a bit extra for the added HRM (which I’ve always found reliable). The 235 strap is a bit more stretchy which means you can wear it a bit tighter for a more accurate HR reading.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)