Runners talking about football might be dumb (Read 218 times)

joescott

but still.... let's say you have three downs from the one-yard line to win the Super Bowl.  And you have Marchawn Lynch.  What would you do? 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I think they only had 1 timeout left, so in theory only 2 downs left. Still, you hand off to Lynch, who nearly always gets positive yards

mikeymike

"Y'all know why I'm here."

Thankfully, there was one guy in the stadium who didn't know.

mta:

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Great game played by both sides and it's important to acknowledge that the Pats defender made a great play on the ball there -- the players still decided it. I thought they were going to run it in, but if the slant had worked nobody would be questioning the decision. Everyone would have been talking about how Carroll juked the Patriots and he would have been a genius.

It was a costly play for sure but I think if you look at is as a great play by the defender, you could just as easily say that the game was decided by smarts and risk on the defensive side as by a knucklehead call by the coach.

Awesome to have a competitive and intense Super Bowl.

It's easy to sports-hate the Patriots but impossible not to respect them.

mikeymike

Also for the real sports geeks out there, it turns out the defense the Pats were in was specifically designed to bait the Seahawks into running that exact play and they did. And then an un-drafted free agent rookie db who was in line to be the goat for giving up the miracle catch to Kearse made the play of his life to win the game.

Pretty awesome.

Runners run

jfa

I'm happy for the Pats. I'm happy that it didn't come down to another fluky, almost impossible catch.

It was a well played game and Pete Carol outsmarted himself. There were other plays that Seattle could have made that they didn't.

#artbydmcbride

The butler did it!

Runners run

Village people

The butler did it!

In the end zone with a pick.

DaBurger

Also for the real sports geeks out there, it turns out the defense the Pats were in was specifically designed to bait the Seahawks into running that exact play and they did. 

keep drinking the koolaid, Pats just matched up man to man and made the play, Belichick didn't bait anything.

Know thyself.

Mysecondnewname

Great game!

I thought they'd run it for sure as well; however, I hesitate to be too hard on Pete Carroll (although I can empathize with the outrage and frustration since I'm used to poor end of game thinking, courtesy of the KC Chiefs).

To wit:  we've all seen goal line stances occur even when teams have taken 4 short yardage runs at it (even with great running backs).   After those stands, the offensive team's coach is nearly always vilified for "doing the predictable thing" by playing the percentages.  (Indeed, I think Lynch got stuffed during an important 3rd and 1 earlier in the 4th quarter).

It was reported today that #21 had gotten burned in practice the week before when the Patriots scout team ran the same play.  During the game, he recognized the play, jumped the route, and came through.

Bottom line for me: it was a combination of great preparation, great coaching, and a great play.

kcam

Wasn't it also #21 who 'gave up' that crazy catch two plays before.    He played the Kearse catch exactly right but the ball just didn't bounce his way.  What a way to redeem himself.  Of course the Pats are to be congratulated but a huge WELL DONE to #21!  The young man will always remember that play sequence.

bhearn

keep drinking the koolaid, Pats just matched up man to man and made the play, Belichick didn't bait anything.

Well not quite. But I'm interested in hearing more details, Mikey.

"On that second-down play, he saw that the Patriots had sent out their big guys, bent on stopping the rush. So Carroll called for a play that he thought would take a few seconds off the clock"

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2015/02/01/pete-carroll-takes-the-blame-for-seahawks-pass-call/?mod=trending_now_2

Village people

Wasn't it also #21 who 'gave up' that crazy catch two plays before.    He played the Kearse catch exactly right but the ball just didn't bounce his way.  What a way to redeem himself.  Of course the Pats are to be congratulated but a huge WELL DONE to #21!  The young man will always remember that play sequence.

Yes it was.

mikeymike

Keep drinking the haterade. I didn't mention Bellichick.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

In the end zone with a pick.

Nice one! Smile