Boston Jacket (Read 2955 times)

L Train

Nah just trying to be your support group.  You need a challenger but it has to be someone faster than me.  And weird that twice in two days I've seen hazardous spelled with two "z"s.

xhristopher

Not to be technical but that bear looks more like a grizzly than a bearcat.

BTW, Kudos on your decision to focus on being healthy and fast in Boston. When you are an old and grey bearcat you can streak away.

DoppleBock

I think making this public and a lot more smack talking will lead to some healthy training for each of you! 

Okay that is poke number 2.  If your trying to challenge me you might want to come out in the open where everyone can see you instead of just poking me here and there in different topics.  Beware though, poking the bear can be hazzardous to your health.   I feel a challenge coming on might as well get on with it. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

L Train

I think making this public and a lot more smack talking will lead to some healthy training for each of you! 

OK, DB this is probably true. 

BCR's got a sub-3 goal and I'm so far away from there I can't even fantasize about it.  So this "challenge" would likely end up being disappointing to all involved, even him. 

Plus, I've pissed off enough people that want to kick my a**.  I don't need any more. 

Ima gonna get me one of them there Boston jackets though because I'm pretentious like that.  I'll probably wear it every day to drop the kids off at school, even when it's 95 degrees in May. 

Are you sure that is the 2011 official BAA Boston Marathon jacket?    It looks too much like a running jacket. 

Definitely not "the" official 2011 Boston Marathon Celebration Jacket. The official jacket will come out later and will not have "Qualifier" written on it, and it will be a much higher quality jacket with embroidery. The Boston gear that is out right now is "Qualifier series of apparel."

Yep I've gotten a few emails from them already wanting to sell me stuff to commemorate the fact that I qualified. I think running the race will do that quite nicely. But then again, I'm a sucker so I will almost definitely lay down some extra cash at the expo. Never know if or when I'll get that chance again. And, much like L Train, I fully plan to be obnoxious and wear the gear every damn day whether it's appropriate or not. Hmmm maybe I should get an extra one a few sizes bigger for when I become a big fat slug again later down the road.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

xhristopher

I kinda like Chris' "right on hereford, left on boylston" shirt.

I kinda like Chris' "right on hereford, left on boylston" shirt.

Yeah, I love that shirt! Hoping they have the same booth again at the expo and some new styles of it. I want a long sleeve version for sure.

joescott

I got one for Christmas.  Smile

MTA:  the "right on hereford, left on boylston" shirt, that is.

MTA again:  personally don't like the adidas jacket with "qualifier" scrawled all over it.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I got one for Christmas.  Smile

me too but havent worn it yet and dont know if i will until after

joescott

me too but havent worn it yet and dont know if i will until after

I completely understand your hesitation about wanting to wait until after.  Many years ago when I was still a Boston virgin one of my wife's friends gave me a Boston Marathon shirt for Christmas.  It was very thoughtful and nice, of course, but after she left our house, my wife said, "You're not going to wear it are you."  And I said, "No.  I haven't earned it.  It's against the code."  Wink

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Right on Hereford...

For my first Boston last year I wanted a jacket, but the "Celebration" jacket was a) not a running jacket and b) way too gaudy for me. I got the understated black running jacket and I'm quite happy with it. It has a small unicorn on the front upper left, is pretty windproof, fairly breathable, nice zippers, and is perfect for any run below 30 degrees.

And yes, I admit to wearing it with pride. People who couldn't tell you whether a 3-hour marathon is faster or slower than average know that qualifying for Boston is a big deal in the running world. Ha.

With all this time off you are unlikely to qualify again, so you'd better pick one up now.

Actually I am already qualified for 2012 as well since I qualified in October.  So I can go back next year and pick it up if I feel like spending way too much money on a marathon that will be way too crowed and will be a logistical nightmare.

BTW - I hope to run sub 3 at Boston but my only real goal is to run under 3:10 at Boston.  With this being my first time I am sure I will screw it up some.  I've heard it is a bloody mess trying to get started with all of the people.  Indy is where I hope to break 3 and catch C-R. 

Thanks for the support.  It felt like a challenge.  I like to be pushed.   

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                            • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                            • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
                            L Train

Actually I am already qualified for 2012 as well since I qualified in October. 

Yeah well me too.  We'll see if that holds up when the BAA turns the world upside down in April. 

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm getting the Hopkinton Hop qualifier jacket. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016