added elevation map (Read 2426 times)

eric :)

Greetings folks! I am happy to announce that RunningAHEAD.com is the first (as far as I can tell) online running log with elevation! I just uploaded the latest changes, which consist mainly of elevation support. There is now an additional icon on the map toolbar. When you click on it, it'll enable elevation lookup. Here are some caviats. Right now, elevation lookup is somewhat slow. There are ways of speeding it up, but it'll cost money. Since this is a free site, I'm trying to keep my cost down. Do not rely on the elevation map for exact distance. It takes an elevation sample every 200 meters. As a result, the distance in the elevation map may be short by up to 199 meters. Also, since the sampling is every 200 meters, if the terrain consists of rolling hills, the elevation might not reflect that. I can get it to be more accurate, but again, that will cost more money. To add elevation to your existing maps, just load the map in edit mode, enable elevation, and wait. When it's completed, click save and now your map will have elevation. Please let me know if you encounter problems with it, as I'm sure there will be some undiscovered bugs. As always, if you find the running log useful, please tell your friends! eric Smile

gimme some sugar, baby

checked it out... very cool so far. great work, eric!
      George: Runner/Law Student
      www.gimme-five.com
      jmwfood

I can't seem to get it to work?? I am pretty computer literate. Can you spell out each step by step instructions in case I am doing something out of secquence. This shouldn't be that hard and I am sure its me.

I can't seem to get it to work?? I am pretty computer literate. Can you spell out each step by step instructions in case I am doing something out of secquence. This shouldn't be that hard and I am sure its me.
          What kind of problem are you encountering? There's an elevation button on the map toolbar. Just click on it to enable elevation, and that's all there is to it. As you're creating your route, it will fetch the elevation automatically. What OS and browser are you using?
          jmwfood

firefox. i was trying to do elevations on old already saved routes. do i need to recreate the routes using the elevation button? not a big deal to recreate thanks again for all the work on this.

to add elevation to existing maps, just open the map in edit mode, then click on the elevation icon. The elevation chart should appear in a few seconds, if not immediately. There will be a spinning progress icon to indicate that it's working. It will take a little while (depending on the length of the route). When it finishes, the spinning icon will go away. Click on the save button to save the elevation. If this doesn't help, please let me know what you're seeing, perhaps steps to reproduce the problem, and I'll take a look. It's a rather complicated piece of code, and I won't be surprised that some people will have problems with it. I apologize for any inconvenience, and we'll fix the problems together. eric Smile
                Eric, This is so cool. I was really interested in how far up and down I was going around my house. It looks like I start around 2700 feet go up to 2900 and back down to 2500 then back to 2700. I guess this would be considered hilly run. Thanks, I love the added tool.
                jmwfood

eric, its a firefox thing! works great in ie explorer, really (really) cool. I will play around with firefox settings and let you know. thanks again.

gimme some sugar, baby

hm... works perfect in my firefox. try a shift-reload, that's what I did when I had problems in feature before and usually that does the trick.
                    George: Runner/Law Student
                    www.gimme-five.com
                    RainDropRunner

thank you eric!!! I appreciate your efforts to keep up with the running world's needs. You are great!!

~RDR~

Terrific feature. It's the reason I started using your site in the first place. A lady from a Weight Watchers thread heard me complaining not knowing where the hills were on a half marathon I was going to race in (Applefest in Hollis,NH) & she told me to try this site. I used the race map to trace the route & Bingo! Very cool.