Creepy Peeps on the Road... (Read 1548 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think it may be standard that they pull guns for anything around here, but hauling the guy away made me think that something was up. He wasn't parked in front of any entrances to my building - in fact he was kind of tucked into a dark corner. It happened to be that I was out running late several nights in a row, and noticed his vehicle. All I could think was that he was stalking someone, casing a place to rob, or waiting for a drug deal. Sounds like the worst thoughts of a cynic, but I couldn't think of any reasonable explanation for his being there. Nothing wrong with a heads up to the authorities. In my case, I think that I may have prevented something. Your situation sounds even worse being from a small town. Sure it could be a lost work crew, but on a holiday weekend, empty houses make good targets - oops I think that cynical thinking just popped out again. Evil grin
    Heh, yeah...I would have had the same thoughts as you had. Oh, and when I said "panel van," I meant not a mini van or full size conversion. It was kind of like a business panel van, but with with more windows. Definitely not a business van of any sort. I'd think he was casing a place to rob, but when I first saw him he was nowhere near any houses. Hopefully nothing nefarious happened. And I need to figure out how to use the camera feature on my phone. I can operate a fully manual large format view camera with no problem, but a cheesy camera phone...uh...no clue. I probably could have photographed his license plate and the full vehicle, otherwise. I didn't even think to try.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yep...good to give a report to police. AND! You need to seriously alter your running routes and times for a while. Too much weird stuff happening in our communities lately. Just be safe and make some common sense adustments for a few weeks....
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep...good to give a report to police. AND! You need to seriously alter your running routes and times for a while. Too much weird stuff happening in our communities lately. Just be safe and make some common sense adustments for a few weeks....
        It's funny, I rarely run in the evenings...and this is at least the 3rd creepy moment I have had pretty much in the same spot and the same time of day (I seem to be averaging one/year). 3 strikes...not running in that area during non-business hours again. My routes generally are fairly varied, though, for that reason (one more reason to love my Garmin--so easy to change up my route on the fly and still get my miles in, too). I don't want to make it easy for a person with ill intent to keep tabs on me.

~ Sarah Kay

I got attacked during a run in a remote area when I was 16. It DOES happen. Good that you have your radar out and your cell phone with you. Now consider carrying a hand-held (very handy; you don't even notice you're holding it) pepper spray canister -- any time your route might take you through some iffy areas. Plus, just the sight of it will give the creep some pause.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Now consider carrying a hand-held (very handy; you don't even notice you're holding it) pepper spray canister -- any time your route might take you through some iffy areas. Plus, just the sight of it will give the creep some pause.
            I have a canister, but I really need to start carrying it on more runs. Usually if I am not going too far out in the boonies I don't bother. I may want to start reconsidering that option, though. As much as I hate feeling like a pack-horse on some runs (inhaler, phone, hydration belt or hand bottle...), safe always beats sorry.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Glad you're ok! Shy I don't know if you mentioned it or not, but when running in the evening and/or in isolated areas, I definitely recommend not running w/ headphones. Very import to maintain situational/spatial awareness in those situations.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Glad you're ok! Shy I don't know if you mentioned it or not, but when running in the evening and/or in isolated areas, I definitely recommend not running w/ headphones. Very import to maintain situational/spatial awareness in those situations.
                I keep 'em very quiet, most of the time. And one thing I really like about the Sennheisers is how clearly ambient noise comes through (I am always a little perplexed when runners will tout a set of headphones as being "noise cancelling," as if it's a good thing--that's the last thing anyone wants when exercising outdoors and on the roads). As long as I can hear my own plodding and breathing I'm happy (plus it's healthier for my hearing--earbuds too loud can really wreak havoc on hearing over time). I did take 'em out once I started feeling really rattled, though (and to use my cell, of course).

~ Sarah Kay

Non ducor, duco.

The Gift of Fear I want to recommend this book. If you haven't read it, you should! The main point is that you should always trust your instincts.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The Gift of Fear I want to recommend this book. If you haven't read it, you should! The main point is that you should always trust your instincts.
                    That looks really interesting. I see that he also has a book for helping teach kids and teens to be aware of dangers and stay safe: Protecting the Gift That has been a challenge for us with DS. Luckily he is usually with us and protected well from danger, but the kid thinks that EVERYONE is a potential friend and will chat anyone up (it's especially bad when he's not on his ADHD meds--he'll take on a lot more risky, impulsive behaviors in that situation). As he gets older and can go out on his bike alone I really fear for his safety. I'm going to put those books in my cart for the next time I do an Amazon order.

~ Sarah Kay

Wow - that's creepy! It's also why I won't let my daughter (14) run alone. she thinks I'm nuts, but still. The only route she's allowed to run alone is the 0.7 mile loop around our tiny neighborhood. She hates the repetition of it, but better safe than sorry. Be safe, Zoomy.
                      -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Wow Kirsten, that would've freaked me out big-time. I'm so glad you're okay and savvy to such weirdness, changing your routes, etc. I agree that you should totally avoid that area for awhile and maybe run with a partner (even a friend on a bike kind of thing) the first time you duplicate that run in the evening. I love my Shuffle, but stories like this help me keep the volume looow when I'm running outside. So sad that creeps have to ruin such a wonderful thing. Take care and keep that radar on!
                        ~ Fly ~
                        Only as much as I dream can I be.
                        veggies on the run
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I agree that you should totally avoid that area for awhile and maybe run with a partner (even a friend on a bike kind of thing) the first time you duplicate that run in the evening.
                          Yeah, I'm actually going to avoid that area during the day for a week, maybe. I was going to run that direction today, but instead will go into town and deal with traffic and busy intersections, instead. No more evening runs out that way, period. All of the scary moments I've had have been after business hours and during weekends when there's not a lot of traffic or people on that stretch of road. It is a shame. It's a nice area of road with a wide, paved shoulder. I tend to see a lot of runners and cyclists out that way, but it was quiet the other night.

~ Sarah Kay

How was this different then the teenagers hooting at you from a mini van? Maybe he was looking to chase some..... Solution?

Vim

The shirtless wonder

I spotted the Creepy Peep. Look in the background of this picture.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How was this different then the teenagers hooting at you from a mini van?
                                In some ways it wasn't...same spot within a few hundred yards. But the teenagers were more silly joyriding in mom's van during a softball game a few blocks away. Middle aged men driving very slowly all over the neighborhood for over an hour in a van sets off a different radar.

~ Sarah Kay