Running in the Rain! (Read 1182 times)

So, I have to run 20 miles tomorrow with a forecast that varies from 90% to 90% chance of rain. Promising. I've been fortunate so far and have only had to deal with the heat and cold extremes, but always dry. So, my question - what are your tips for running in the rain? I'm planning to hit the running store tonight for a waterproof jacket. I've heard to put baggies around your feet before you put your shoes on. I'm also going to plan to run by my car a couple of times to change if I need to. Any other advice? Like 20 freaking miles isn't bad enough, I'm really not looking forward to doing it soggily!
      20 miles in the rain, is 20 miles in the rain. you will get wet, no matter how much waterproofing you do...just embrace it. If it's cold you might want a rain jacket to keep your core warm.

Jennifer mm#1231

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

If it's not too cold, running in the rain is nowhere near as bad as you would expect it to be. If you ran 20 miles on a bright sunny day, you'd still get soaking wet, except from sweat. When you get soaked because of rain, at least you're staying cool, and you can skip taking a shower afterwards. Wink

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

If you ran 20 miles on a bright sunny day, you'd still get soaking wet, except from sweat.
          Funny, that's pretty much what the guy at the running store just said to me! Then I flashed back to a 20-miler on the hottest day of October and I realized I couldn't be any more soaked than that. Gross, yeah, but it got the point across. Thanks for the help!
            20 miles in the rain, is 20 miles in the rain. you will get wet, no matter how much waterproofing you do...just embrace it. If it's cold you might want a rain jacket to keep your core warm.
            And if you don't believe her, look at her Soak City pic in Look What I Can Do. You rock, Lifesabeach!
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Get wet and have fun!
              Sulli42

Embrace the rain.

Renee the dog

I love running in the rain! I also have 3 pair of active shoes now. Why? I developed a couple inch blister on my foot once after running in an advancing hurricane. Day and a half later, ran in those same shoes in a 7miler...they felt dry but weren't. Water worked up from the sole. Hello 2" blister (at mi 3!) I finished the race, but darn that hurt! So, my 2 cents is to give the shoes you run in more than adequate time to dry. But heck yeah, run in the rain!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Prince of Fatness

For me it really depends on the temperature. If it's warm I'll just go out and run with no rain gear. I'd rather get wet than have too much on and overheat. If it's a cold rain I like to cover with something. I don't own any rain gear so I just poke holes in a hefty bag and use that. I tie something around the waist to keep it snug. It looks silly, but it does keep my core dry. One thing to look out for if you're going 20 miles is chafing and blisters on your feet.

Not at it at all. 

So, my question - what are your tips for running in the rain?
                      Have fun! Avoid cotton! Let your shoes dry afterwards! (Keep them away from direct heat, and pull out the insoles, and remove rocks and mud, and in extreme cases of sopping wetness you should ball up some newspaper to stuff them with or put them in front of a fan. A wire rack to keep them off the floor will help them dry as well. It's also not a bad idea to rotate your shoes between runs.)

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Imminent Catastrophe

Just wear a non-cotton top, maybe two layers if it's cool. I did a 50k in a tropical storm last year, back when I was in shape, and there were a few runners who started out with waterproof jackets, but they had all ditched them within a mile or two.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

A Saucy Wench

baseball hat to keep it out of your eyes. Maybe a little extra precautionary bodyglide

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

One thing to look out for if you're going 20 miles is chafing and blisters on your feet.
                            I have to say I was pleasantly surprised after running a marathon in 47-52 degrees with rain the first 25 miles. My feet were soaked by mile 2 and numb by mile 5...but for the first time ever during a marathon, I didn't get a single blister and I didn't lose any toenails! My feet/toes felt fantastic after they thawed. Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

I have to admit to bailing on a half marathon this morning. It was 49 degrees and pouring rain. I got down to the start, and just couldn't see doing it. I am pretty slow these days (older and slower....), have done many, many races and 20 years ago would not have bailed, but I just didn't feel like spending 2 plus hours in the cold rain. I went to the gym and did 6 miles on the treadmill and weights. This was a BAD rain- not a gentle drizzle. Plus- there was lightening. Oh well.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Nev

I have just got back from 11 miles in the pouring rain and I have to admit i really enjoyed it ! I think the best advice is dont even try and keep dry as it wont happen. I ran in shorts and a short sleeved top as anything else would just get wet , heavy and uncomfortable - after 2 miles you are as wet as you can get so just get stuck in and enjoy it. The only thing that did worry me is what will a good soaking do to my custom orthotics? - they seem to be ok. Get ot there and enjoy it. Nev