Running "rules of thumb" (Read 609 times)

King of PhotoShop

Okay, so I guess I got sucker punched, but I had no idea who the guy is.  Apparently you guys have had some past experience with him.  I never clicked on any of those links he sent me because I was busy doing other stuff and honestly, those links to "studies" that people always send you rarely have anything earthshaking in them.  For example, I recall reading about a zillion heel and mid-foot strike studies a few years back and I was none the wiser for reading them.

And speaking of a few years back, there was a guy on another site, maybe CoolRunning, named EarthRunner and he was some piece of work. He had everyone agitated at one time, including me!  But it did feed the general hilarity of forums such as this and it wasn't that big a deal now I look back on it.

Glad I gave some of you guys a smile!  Spareribs

bhearn

sportjester is quite the local character. Or has been; he hasn't been around in a while.

He also doesn't believe treadmill running is the same as running.

The jester-o-matic link above generates gibberish sourced from his actual RA posts. Indeed, it's not that different from the original.

an amazing likeness

sportjester!

sportjester!

sportjester!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Joann Y

sportjester!

sportjester!

sportjester!

I hope you weren't looking in the mirror when you said that.

I hope you weren't looking in the mirror when you said that.

not like this guy:

jfa

sportjester is quite the local character. Or has been; he hasn't been around in a while.

The jester-o-matic link above generates gibberish sourced from his actual RA posts. Indeed, it's not that different from the original.

Man, I just got sucked into that vortex all over again.

One of the most bizarre, and in some perverse and disturbing way, entertaining threads of all time.

peaches123

Well, that was... interesting.

I didn't come up with the 26.2 "rule."  I've just heard it.  The rule is such: If you run 60 miles in a week, and 26 of those are at 10 min miles, with the rest slower, then you should be able to run a 4:22 marathon, but not much faster.  If you can't run 26 miles in a week at a certain pace, you generally won't be able to string together all 26 miles in one day at that pace.  I don't know if it works out to be true or not.