Running "rules of thumb" (Read 609 times)

Feeling the growl again

Rules, like thumbs, are made to be broken.

Nice....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mikeymike

If you can find it, check the Boston Globe coverage of the 1970 Boston Marathon won by Ron Hill. If I remember correctly, the writer mentioned that Hill ran like a metronome with a methodical 162 strides per minute.

I just checked the microfiche archives that I keep in my attic and unfortunately all of the April 1970 Boston Globe issues are missing. But I'm sure you remember correctly.

Runners run

My most recently learned rule of thumb:  Most of the time pushing through the pain is okay.  If you have significant bruising on the impacted area you may want to cut back a little and avoid 50 yard sprints.

King of PhotoShop

First let me thank all of you for contributing, whether it was a serious post or a funny quip, I appreciate it all.  This may be 3-4 articles, and I'm excited to see that all these "rules of thumb" are nothing more than that.  Thank you all.

I got an outstanding personal message from a guy who has researched a lot of this stuff for the U.S. Army and wrote me a fascinating response about a couple of these rules.  Nothing quite like good research.  The 180 steps and the 3 x the daily run "rules" are certainly provocative topics.  Reading Jack Daniels on the 180 topic feels like you are reading the Ten Commandments, he is so sure of himself.

Bruno, that "one workout" rule is outstanding. First I've heard it.  Thanks so much.  Others?  Spareribs

the 3 x the daily run "rules" are certainly provocative topics.  

Still don't know what this is...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

jfa

You started a great thread here Spareribs, thanks. Unfortunately,it's a very individual sport.

How about listening to what your body's telling you? I just went through 4 months on a treadmill training for the flattest marathon course in the country. Some days my body (and mind) said no. I listened.

spinach

Run through discomfort.  Don't run through pain.

Is anyone gonna tell me the dang 3x daily run rule or is it just going to sit out there forever?

MTA: I can't even guess what it is - driving me nuts!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Let's start a guessing game of the 3x daily run rule.

spinach

Maybe it means you should run 3 times each day.

My first guess would be you can attempt a race that is 3 times your daily run average ( weekly  mileage /7)  and hope to run it well.  Does not work well for short races or ultras, but might work for HM-Marathon distances, i.e. 30 miles a week  for HM and 50-60 miles a week for Marathon.

#artbydmcbride

Maybe it means your long run in training should be 3 times your daily average...in order to sustain marathon pace?

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

Or...you should triple your daily average during your taper for the marathon...

Runners run

spinach

Or maybe your marathon pace should be three times your average pace, whatever that means.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Mean, median or mode?

3 times your daily average for sustaining marathon pace

Liz

pace sera, sera