Running "rules of thumb" (Read 609 times)

bhearn

Also in my opinion it may better sometimes to run with the traffic, around blind corners with tight/non existent shoulders, where the traffic can see you and have a chance to slow down. An example would be grandfather mountain marathon.

Yeah, absolutely I cross for blind corners.

FSBD

I cross for guardrails a lot.  I don't want to be stuck between a moron and a guardrail.  I like having the option to bail into a ditch.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Oersted's Rule could be applied to navigation while running.  Good luck.

Oersted's rule: Hold right hand with the fingertips in the direction of current. The line shall be between the magnet and the palm. Magnet north pole will then turn to the thumb side. Named for Hans Christian Ørsted (often rendered Oersted in English; 14 August 1777 – 9 March 1851), a Danish physicist and chemist who discovered that electric currents create magnetic fields, an important aspect of electromagnetism.

Best Present Ever

I may have chosen the wrong word with 'Controversial', it was leading up to the next one.

Also in my opinion it may better sometimes to run with the traffic, around blind corners with tight/non existent shoulders, where the traffic can see you and have a chance to slow down. An example would be grandfather mountain marathon.

Fair enough. I know nothing of the grandfather mountain marathon, but I do run narrow country roads with blind curves and choose to run on the right - or often in the center - so I can see the cars before they kill me.

bhearn

Here's one I learned when I started running. Haven't heard it lately.

"Concrete is X times harder than asphalt." I don't remember what X was. 5? 10? I have no idea whether that's true in any relevant sense.

I pretty much believed anything I read about running then. And it stuck in my head as something that must be true. I'm still convinced I can really tell the difference after a long run, and I always unconsciously choose road over sidewalk, because "obviously" it's better for my legs. But it could well just be placebo effect.

I pretty much believed anything I read about running then. 

As did I, but thankfully much of what I read were srl's posts and blog.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

rmcj001

Orthopedist told me this, concrete is harder then asphalt is harder then packed dirt is harder then loose dirt is harder then grass.  Try to run on the softest surface you can...Wasn't clear if my shin splints were caused by a stress fracture, reaction or tendon issue.  The other rule of thumb she gave me was, if it gets better as you run its soft tissue, if it gets worse more likely a stress reaction or fracture...

Ray

No more marathons

Here's one - for every second faster than your ideal pace you run in the first mile of a race, you will give back 2 later on.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

npaden

How about the old "for every pound you lose, you will get 2 seconds faster per mile" or something like that.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

wcrunner, I agree.  Imagine that if you wound up a rubber band no more than x times a day.  Certainly there comes a point when the band must snap.  So 10% a week simply means that sooner or later you'll hit a mileage point that will hurt you.  I've often suggested to others that when you are trying to build mileage, do no more than 10% a week, but also, every 3-4 weeks take a cutback week to rest and recover.

I'd reverse that. Every 3-4 weeks make a 10% increase and hold steady the other weeks. Remember it takes a while to adjust and adapt to new levels of training.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

How about the old "for every pound you lose, you will get 2 seconds faster per mile" or something like that.

Yeah, that's a big one.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

The best rule I know came from my husband's PT guy.  He told him that if you have to ask yourself (when dealing with pain) "should I be trying to run through this?" the answer is pretty much always no.

Leah, mother of dogs

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If I weighed 20 pounds, I'd be running 3 minute miles!

jfa

"Replace your shoes every 300-500 miles".

Does anyone do that?

runmichigan

"Replace your shoes every 300-500 miles".

Does anyone do that?

Yes I do.  I track the mileage on each of my pairs of shoes.  I find that for most pairs of shoes that they need replacement somewhere in this range.  I replace them based on their "feel" while running as opposed to a specific mileage number.