Running "rules of thumb" (Read 609 times)

King of PhotoShop

These contributions are outstanding.  I too track miles on shoes and toss them at 400. I read here on RA some time ago that the cushioning in the shoe is the key criterion, rather than the wear on the sole. My shoes don't show any wear on the soles at all.  But I love that soft, cushiony feel of a low mileage shoe.  I know that some shoes hold that cushioning longer than others but it's too much of a nuisance to think about all that, so I just use 400.

WC, that really is an excellent suggestion about mileage build-up. Conservative is usually best.

Can't believe how much excellent material is in this thread, and for the most part from people I respect and trust on this forum over many years.  Thanks so much.   Spareribs

rlopez

"Replace your shoes every 300-500 miles".

Does anyone do that?

Replace this number with 500-600, and yes.  I do.

Except damn Newtons, which I only get 150 out of.  And super lightweight shoes that I really do get about 300 from.

Charles G

Only vary one factor at a time. (If you're increasing mileage, don't add more speedwork)

Don't look back.

dblendc

Only vary one factor at a time. (If you're increasing mileage, don't add more speedwork)

Don't look back.

I have to agree with charles g on this one..... increase mileage fine.......increase speedwork fine........never the twain shall meet unless your new to running and think that it is ok to mix, dont worry your body wont let you for very long Smile

bhearn

I broke a cardinal rule at Boston -- I ran in shoes I bought at the expo. I've done that before, but this time it was also a new brand (Skechers).

jpdeaux

I broke a cardinal rule at Boston -- I ran in shoes I bought at the expo. I've done that before, but this time it was also a new brand (Skechers).

Reminds me that one of my running rules is to figure out which running rules are okay to break.

King of PhotoShop

Mr. Hearn:  When I lived in NY I ran the 1977 NY Marathon, the second year of the 5 borough race.  I rode the bus from upstate NY 50 miles or so to NY and then took the bus home. On the home trip I sat next to a man I knew for many years who was also much older than me and very religious.  He told me this story:

The day before the race there was a guy selling shoes out of his panel truck and giving out raffle tickets.  This man's number was called and he won a pair of shoes.  He told me, "I knew then that Jesus wanted me to run in those shoes, so I wore them in the race."  I looked at his feet and his shoes were covered in blood, no doubt from a very difficult experience in those new shoes.

I wondered how anyone could conclude that Jesus wanted anyone to wear a brand new pair of shoes in a marathon, and never heard of such a thing again.  (I do recall Harry Caray saying a few times after a Cub victory that God wanted the Cubs to win.)

Now as for you, I can understand wearing a new pair of shoes in a marathon, mostly because today's shoes are different from what we wore in the 70's, and I am not nearly the class of runner that you are, but I can't imagine testing out a new brand like Skechers in a race that important.  I am going to remember this about you for the next time you defeat me in an argument. I'll say, "Yeah?  What about the time you tried out a new pair of Skechers in the Boston Marathon?"  Spareribs

bhearn

Yeah well, it's not quite as crazy as it sounds. I had done my homework on these shoes (GoRun 4). Like almost nothing else on the market these days, they are light, cushioned, neutral, and high drop. I knew the specs, and was eager to try them at the expo. They were very comfortable. I bought them Saturday, did an easy 4 in them Sunday. I could pretty much tell that they would be no problem for a marathon-length training run.

Given the forecast heading into the race, I'd written it off as a goal race, so I figured what the hell. Had I been going to race it I'd have worn my marathon flats (NB 1600). When I got to the start line it was not so bad, so I did start out on PR pace, but dialed it back to a training run before too long. The shoes were great. No blisters or anything. A bit less cushiony after 15 or 20 miles than I would have predicted, but still fine, really.

See, I've been around the block enough times (so to speak) to know when I can break the rules. More or less.

No more marathons

Yeah well, it's not quite as crazy as it sounds. I had done my homework on these shoes (GoRun 4). Like almost nothing else on the market these days, they are light, cushioned, neutral, and high drop. I knew the specs, and was eager to try them at the expo. They were very comfortable. I bought them Saturday, did an easy 4 in them Sunday. I could pretty much tell that they would be no problem for a marathon-length training run.

Given the forecast heading into the race, I'd written it off as a goal race, so I figured what the hell. Had I been going to race it I'd have worn my marathon flats (NB 1600). When I got to the start line it was not so bad, so I did start out on PR pace, but dialed it back to a training run before too long. The shoes were great. No blisters or anything. A bit less cushiony after 15 or 20 miles than I would have predicted, but still fine, really.

See, I've been around the block enough times (so to speak) to know when I can break the rules. More or less.

Like putting on a pair of slippers.  I've finally found a suitable replacement for the Brooks Green Silence.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

King of PhotoShop

Well, that makes perfect sense. I know you know what you're doing. So would you recommend the shoe?  Spareribs

How about the old "for every pound you lose, you will get 2 seconds faster per mile" or something like that.

I have found this to be very true, within certain limits.  Having logged races and weight for years, I was surprised to see this hold true for my longer races.

I would amend it to say, it costs about 2 seconds a mile to lug around each extra pound of fat, when otherwise in good shape, when racing in the 30-minute to 3-hour range. If you are not in shape to race it, then it does not hold. And it seems to reverse a bit when you are racing things like a 800m or 1500m.  That's absolute weight, though, and not fat-weight, which I am fairly sure, aids very little.

That's my personal experience over 100+ long distance races.

Here's one I learned when I started running. Haven't heard it lately.

"Concrete is X times harder than asphalt." I don't remember what X was. 5? 10? I have no idea whether that's true in any relevant sense.

I pretty much believed anything I read about running then. And it stuck in my head as something that must be true. I'm still convinced I can really tell the difference after a long run, and I always unconsciously choose road over sidewalk, because "obviously" it's better for my legs. But it could well just be placebo effect.

My legs tell me there might be a difference. My science tells me there is very little difference.  Compared to rubber and flesh, both concrete and asphalt are essentially rigid. Maybe the extra 1% or so makes a difference? But my science may not be super-sciency.

spinach

I think concrete feels like it is at least 10 times harder than asphalt and I stay off if it it is at all possible.

Like bhearn, I also ran a marathon in a  brand new pair of shoes.  But I have a lot of experience with shoes and i could tell the new shoes would be okay.  I have tested shoes for New Balance for at least six or eight years and I have tested over 70 different pairs.  So I have gotten pretty good at determining if a pair is right for me from the first try on.  A couple years ago I got a new pair to test right before the marathon, and I ran in my marathon shoes in the rain the day before the marathon and those shoes got soaked.  I don't like to put on wet shoes and I decided to wear the new shoes instead because they were dry and  I could see they would be okay for me when I tried them on.  No problems in the marathon.  But I am a special case since I have had so much experience wearing different pairs of shoes.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks all.  The new shoe thing is a less serious issue I think for experienced runners like bhearn and spinach. Note that bhearn did test those Skechers for a few miles, not just put them on race day out of the box.  I believe the more experienced runners, such as those two, can tell right away. Also, as I mentioned earlier, shoes are much different today.

BTW Spinach, New Balance asked me to wear the Fresh Foam when they came out in the hope I would do a product review for them in the Dallas Morning News. I told them okay, but if I didn't like the shoes I would say so.  I wore them in training, in a fiveK and in a 50K and I loved them. I felt I wrote a balanced review of them.

As to that asphalt-concrete argument, it keeps coming up, and runners swear the asphalt is "softer."  I'm one of those.  Others say "What difference can it possible make?"  Who knows?  But I do know that attitude has a bearing on performance. What you believe is important.  Spareribs

Spartacus

I use these rules frequently:

The 20 Degree rule:

When dressing for your outdoor run, dress as if it's 20 Degrees warmer than the outside air temperature.

The Neck Rule:

If you're feeling sick, use this to decide if you should run today-  If you are sick from the neck up - GO RUN.

If you are sick below the neck (lungs, chest) - SKIP THE RUN.

Disclaimer:  I am NOT a Doctor and I have never portrayed one on TV.

Spartacus