accelerated training: can I run a sub 3 hour marathon with a 2 month program? (Read 231 times)

joescott

If those PBs are recent (like now), and you do marathon specific training between now and your race, and you run a smart race, I think sub 3 is definitely possible.   You have the speed. You just need the marathon specific training.    The key will be building up your long runs with some portion, preferably the later portion, of the run being at or slightly faster than 6:52 mpm.

Yes.  IF those PRs are semi-current, I definitely think you could do it.  But I wonder.....  4:35 but only 17:00??....  That tells me that you tend to be faster than stronger.  17:00 5k seems pretty soft for a 4:35 miler to me.  Your lack of longer-term mileage might therefore be a real limiting factor as your "strength" maybe has not developed as required to run a good marathon.   But like someone said, only 1 way to find out!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mikeymike

17:00 5k seems pretty soft for a 4:35 miler to me. 

On the other hand, a 27:30 8k is pretty stout for someone with "only" a 17 min 5k.

Runners run

On the other hand, a 27:30 8k is pretty stout for someone with "only" a 17 min 5k.

yep! My 5k and mile records I would say are weak at the moment. I have not fully trained and raced a 5k since high school.

joescott

Indeed.  An important oversight on my part.

- Joe

Feeling the growl again

yep! My 5k and mile records I would say are weak at the moment. I have not fully trained and raced a 5k since high school.

Your 27:30 8K give a sub-2:43 though the McMillan calculator.  I'm not sure I could hit 27:30 right now and I just ran a comfortable 2:46.

That said, if your log is accurate I think sub-3 will be a stretch.  Number one, I'm not sure what you are referring to as a good base but your log does not reflect that..  You run very few miles and while the biking builds cardio it does not toughen your legs to handle a marathon at ~7min pace.  From your running history, your log, and your physical description (ie height/weight) you sound like a strength runner more attuned to shorter races at the moment.

You will find the marathon to be an entirely different animal.

Finally, you lack experience at the distance.  Very, very few people approach their physical potential in their first marathon.  There are simply too many ways to screw up and first timers typically don't know how to read the signs there body is giving them -- and there is little room for error.  My 2:46 was a win, but there were two guys there who were in better shape than me and could have won it if they'd done their pacing just a little differently.

I would recommend you really shift your focus off the bike and to running.  Get in a long run each weekend, and a second mid-long run mid-week with some marathon paced distance at the end.  If you can run a 13 mile long run now, start with that and increase over time to 18-20.  Start your mid-long run at 7-8 miles and work it up to 10-12.  You should run about 6 days a week.

When marathon day comes, stick to your goal pace or slightly slower at the stand and under no circumstances -- no matter how good you feel -- allow yourself to go faster than that.  If you feel great at 23 miles fine, speed up.  But if you feel like you are working much at all in a marathon you're probably going too fast, and most people go out too fast and blow up at the end.  Blowing up in a marathon is not something you want to experience your first time out (guilty).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

joescott

Finally, you lack experience at the distance.  Very, very few people approach their physical potential in their first marathon.  There are simply too many ways to screw up and first timers typically don't know how to read the signs there body is giving them -- and there is little room for error.

This is some of the best first-timer advice that could be given, even and especially to runners who have been very good at shorter distances.  We should post this permanently in the locker room somewhere.

Right now my kids' track team has 4 kids who can run comfortably under 17:00, under 10:00 for the 2-mile and 4:35 or better for the mile.  And yet, I'm pretty sure with my pathetic 2:53 a couple of weeks ago I would have crushed them all.  They just don't have the strength and experience yet.  This is confirmed somewhat by one of their teammates who graduated a couple of years ago (with a 4:23 mile and a 9:37 2-mile) who was humbled to run just a 3:05 (or so) the following fall after graduation.  Said he got through 18-20 feeling pretty good.....

- Joe

Baboon

delicate flower

Any specific reason for the urgency to run a sub-3 marathon, instead of just running the marathon to see how you'll do?  I agree that your base is seriously lacking.  You're averaging 55 miles per month this year.  Lots of marathoners run that in a cutback week.  Does your two month program include a taper?  Because that would leave you with 5-6 weeks to actually train.

<3

This is so true. To a fast HS kid, the marathon pace looks and feels very slow. But, they've yet to experience the feeling of "death by paper cuts" or what it truly means to bonk.  They think they can just slow down a little and be okay.

One day I was riding the bike while my son was doing some intervals and I told him to go slower on his recovery jogs. He said, "Dad, I can't run any slower." I told him that I can pretty much guarantee that someday when he runs his first marathon, there will be a point when he will be running much slower, it will feel hard, and there won't be a thing he can do about it.

In that regard, there's only one thing I somewhat disagree with Spaniel's post. He said it's not good to blow up in your first marathon.  Sure, that would be ideal, but then the young geezers would think "what's the big deal?"  IMO, there's no better way to teach someone to respect the distance than for them to blow up and experience it first hand.

This is some of the best first-timer advice that could be given, even and especially to runners who have been very good at shorter distances.  We should post this permanently in the locker room somewhere.

Right now my kids' track team has 4 kids who can run comfortably under 17:00, under 10:00 for the 2-mile and 4:35 or better for the mile.  And yet, I'm pretty sure with my pathetic 2:53 a couple of weeks ago I would have crushed them all.  They just don't have the strength and experience yet.  This is confirmed somewhat by one of their teammates who graduated a couple of years ago (with a 4:23 mile and a 9:37 2-mile) who was humbled to run just a 3:05 (or so) the following fall after graduation.  Said he got through 18-20 feeling pretty good.....

Feeling the growl again

In that regard, there's only one thing I somewhat disagree with Spaniel's post. He said it's not good to blow up in your first marathon.  Sure, that would be ideal, but then the young geezers would think "what's the big deal?"  IMO, there's no better way to teach someone to respect the distance than for them to blow up and experience it first hand.

Big grin

I just don't wish my first experience on anyone.  As a sub-16 5K runner who put in up to mid-50mpw I went out and was probably on pace for low-2:40s.  I ignored the growing effort at 12-13 miles, and by 16 I was slowing down.  I still kept pushing and completely cratered around 18.  We're talking 2-3 min/mile slowdown.

Despite being a sub-16 5Ker with 40-50+ mpw, doing all my long runs, and spending 3-4 months training for it, I bonked very early and ran a 2:53.

But like you said, I learned a valuable lesson and took 16 minutes off in my second attempt 7 months later.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

There is nothing magical about a sub3 marathon. Very few people can run one off of very little training, but maybe the OP is one. Seems like he has run other relatively fast times off of minimal training. Not sure why the marathon would be different. You'd expect performance at the longer distances to decay a bit with diminished training, but he's got a ton of room for error with his performances at the under-distances.

The better question, to me, is why does the OP care about running a sub-3 marathon in 2 months?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

There is nothing magical about a sub3 marathon.

Bullshit.

When I crossed the line my sweat turned into faerie dust and a bugle sprouted out of my ass to announce my achievement to the world.  I got a call from President Obama and a text from Ahmadinejad, which I believe translates to "Fuck yeah".  My mortgage rate dropped 0.5% and a Starbucks barista winked at me.

Don't listen to Jeff; Sub3 is nothing short of epic.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Jeff is right.  The magical thing is running a PR.  If it happens to bring you under 3 hours, super!  However, 3 hours is an arbitrary number.

Why rush to it in 2 months?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

bhearn

Unless you're trying to win or set a record, all numbers are arbitrary. But you have to have certain benchmarks, to give you something particular to shoot for, and it so happens that 3:00 makes a great benchmark. There's nothing wrong with picking that as a goal, to motivate your training, as opposed to just training to run as fast as you can.

Mmmmm...beer

When marathon day comes, stick to your goal pace or slightly slower at the stand and under no circumstances -- no matter how good you feel -- allow yourself to go faster than that.  If you feel great at 23 miles fine, speed up.  But if you feel like you are working much at all in a marathon you're probably going too fast, and most people go out too fast and blow up at the end.  Blowing up in a marathon is not something you want to experience your first time out (guilty). 

This is what I did for my first marathon and it worked really well.  I went out conservatively with a pace group, felt great at mile 22 and pulled away, finishing strong and feeling good.  I probably could have run faster, but I wanted a good first experience and to get a better feel for racing the distance (I had run the distance before, but not raced it).  Now that I'm a little more familiar, I'll push more next time.  Coincidentally, my next goal is sub-3, but that will only happen with a strong training cycle and weight loss.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

bap

You should be able to run sub 3 based on your 5K and 8K times but a sub 1:20 half would be a good indicator that you are ready.

Certified Running Coach
                                Crocked since 2013