How do you make yours runs a priority? (Read 960 times)

I thing Zoomie is right on target. The trick is to shake off the guilt. You most likely don't apologize or feel badly about needing to eat a meal - exercise is in the same category. Being strong, healthy, fit equips you to do more ultimately because your energy level is so much higher. I became a more effective and happy mom when I decided that taking a half hour or 45 min. to myself wasn't going to leave a lasting scar on anyone's psyche . Go run, have fun, and shake it all off. Big grin

Mitch & Pete's Mom

There is some great advice to be had out there. I think Zoomie is my new hero. The one thing I did't see mentioned was to sign up for as many races as you possibly can. Suddenly, you have plunked down your $30 or more and have a committment. Your DH and kids will get excited and you'll have to start fielding questions from the kids about if you're going to win. A wonderful touchstone moment for you and the little ones because you get to explain "doing your best". Your DH will have the utmost respect for you and might even be inspired to join you. Your neighbors and friends who count on you will find a new respect for you too because, well, your getting ready for your "Race" and have to stay on track. Good luck.
      Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

A Saucy Wench

I am trying to get more consistent with my runs. I would like to get at least 20 miles a week but end up with much less. I always get my long run but let life get in the way of my mid week runs. I am a SAHM to a 4yr old who just started school part-time and an 8yr old,so it would seem this would be much easier. This is what happens. DH or my best friend who wants me to babysit calls "what's on your agenda today?' My answer is always " oh I just have to run" How can I make myself say I'm running and then I can help you. I cannot run early because I have to get the kid's out the door and running at 5am is not my style. I can do short run's after dinner but I don't have alot of gas left if you know what I mean. I feel selfish saying I can't help you I have to run today. Any advise.
        Seriously - babysitting for someone else would be so far down on my list of priorities. Get a calendar and write your runs in INK. Then if someone calls and asks "what is on your agenda" you dont say I"just" have to run ...say, I am SCHEDULED until 2 pm but I am free after (or whatever) or "I am booked solid today" No guilt. No explanations. No apologies.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

DH or my best friend who wants me to babysit calls "what's on your agenda today?' My answer is always " oh I just have to run"
          I suggest making a to do list each day (day planner) and include running on it with a specific time and duration. I've found the looser I am in scheduling things the less I actually get completed. Structure seems to allow me to get more done. Okay what ennay ssaid Big grin

Vim

.say, I am SCHEDULED until 2 pm but I am free after (or whatever) or "I am booked solid today" No guilt. No explanations. No apologies.
            Right on!
            AroundTheHorn

I don't know what comes over me but if I don't run everyday I feel like garbage. I do have set times I get out and run (6 in them morning and 8 at night) however sometimes things get in the way so I just adjust. If I miss a run in the morning I'll try to get home for lunch and do it. If I miss a run at night , I just run longer the next day, etc. I guess that's the beauty of running 2-a-days, in that you don't feel too guilty if you have to miss a run. So how do you make your rusn a priority??? Easy. Just do it.
              Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.

Menace to Sobriety

No apologies.
                Running is about never having to say you're sorry.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Somebody (with more room left in their sig.) needs to quote that. Perfect. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

I think Zoomie is my new hero.
                    Get in line. She's been my hero for about a year now. I'm too lazy to read the whole thread but I've been able to get my long runs in on weekends by getting up a bit earlier than my family and finishing up while they're finishing up breakfast. Seems like a good trade and its not getting in the way that much.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Speaking as a SAHM I understand your struggle. It took me a long time to realize it made me a better mom when I took some time for myself. Now my kids know this slogan, "when momma's happy everybody's happy, when momma's not nobody's happy" You may have to force yourself at first but eventually you'll see all the benifits that come along with taking time for yourself. Wink
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Get in line. She's been my hero for about a year now.
                        Awww...shucks. Blush

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Pammie

Agree with whats been said, you need to treat your running like it is part of your job, i know i've become more selfish as i got older and people around me know i run As Nike says Just do it
                          OMG i love that quote.
                            Well, do you want to run at all? I know that I look forward to going running, the only way I get through the day sometimes is thinking about how I'll go running later. I'm not a fast runner by any stretch, but I like it, so I do it. If you're struggling to make your runs a priority than maybe running isn't for you.
                            Groundpounder

We've heard from alot of hard working mom's here about there guilt and finding time to run,,,,how about any dad's? I, for one (a dad) do have a bit of guilt at times but I just work through it. My wife has been understaning most of the time. I do alot of my runs either after work or late at night. I had been doing them early in the mornings to beat the heat but I prefer the evenings now. I take spells. I do juggle some of my runs a bit to accommodate but it's manageable. Smile
                                I run when ever and however I can and still I miss a few here and there and/or cut short the milage. I've got a 3 year old DS and work fulltime. I get up early and run. Now in the dark. Or I run at lunch. and am sweaty the rest of the day. When I was at home with DS when he was smaller we ran with the jogging stoller. I always run on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Saturday and Sunday. If something happens on Tuesdays or Thursdays I have Wednesdays and Fridays as make up days. But it's become routine that I run those days so it's gotten easier ( in my head) to figure out a way to squeeze one in. Good luck. I still feel guilty half the time though.