Go-To Winter Duds (Read 1060 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

After several Winters of running I am finding that I have a drawer FULL of Winter gear, but seem to keep washing and wearing the same few items over and over (and should probably just give away that drawer full).  Am I the only one who does this?  I do this in the Summertime, too.  During the first few years I was running I did a lot of experimenting with clothing to find what works best.  Now that I know, I'm not trying new stuff anymore.

My list:

Sugoi Sub-Zero tights (my warmest tights)

PI Infinity Thermal tight (almost as warm as the Sub-Zeros...better fit, nice zip pocket in the back)

UA Frosty tights (lightest-weight thermal tights)

Mizuno Breath Thermo top

Mizuno Warmer top (I think this is what it's called...it's sort of a thin fleeced backed material except for under the arms and down the sides)

Mizuno Rebel windbreaker (fairly heavy and long to cover the butt a bit - good when it's really cold and/or windy)

Smartwool baselayer

Adidas windbreaker (very lightweight)

merino wool Buff for my neck/face

Smartwool socks - PhD trail or Adrenaline

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

After laundering a weeks worth of running gear...my basement looked like a running store there was so much gear...I don't really like any of my running pants though...my butt stays super cold, no matter how many layers I wear...so I am always layering pants:

My running list this week:

pants: Moving Comfort endurance tights with Moving Comfort or Nike cold weather pants over them

top:  a race tech shirt, a race short sleeve cotton like "tech" shirt and another long sleeve heavy 50/50 tech shirt over that, perhaps with Asics arm sleeves under that (it has been around 10-15F most nights I have run)

gloves: one of the 3 pairs of race giveaway gloves I have

socks: Smartwool (though, my recent Smartwool stash is dwindling due to poor quality of recent purchases)

head: one of 2 buffs or a race giveaway hat

I have 2 or 3 jackets/coats...but this year...even when it has been between -5F and 5F....I have just added another long sleeve layer...so, I guess the answer is yes...I have been wearing the same stuff over and over, but it is a lot of stuff!

Julia1971

I have two pairs of Hind tights that I love.  I may cry when they start to fray since I don't think they make them anymore.  I also have the Sugoi sub-zeros and have been happy with them.

I don't have any tops that I love.  They all seem too hot or cold to wear alone so I end up layering a bunch of different shirts.

And, I love Balega socks, so I wear them yearround.  I also give them as gifts to my runnng friends.

My hands are always cold, so I have an assortment of gloves.  My Brooks HVAC have a pocket to slip warming packs into the back, so if they go, I think I'll have a hard time finding something similar.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have two pairs of Hind tights that I love.  I may cry when they start to fray since I don't think they make them anymore.

I may be wrong on this, but I think Saucony bought Hind...so maybe there is a Saucony model that would have replaced your beloved Hind tights.

~ Sarah Kay

Julia1971

I may be wrong on this, but I think Saucony bought Hind...so maybe there is a Saucony model that would have replaced your beloved Hind tights.

I think you're right.  So now, I buy a lot of Saucony.  My one squibble with them is that the length of their tights seem to vary.  I'm 5'7 and some of them fit me fine and some are way above my ankle.  I don't get it. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think you're right.  So now, I buy a lot of Saucony.  My one squibble with them is that the length of their tights seem to vary.  I'm 5'7 and some of them fit me fine and some are way above my ankle.  I don't get it. 

I'm not usually a fan of UA stuff, but you may like their Frosty tight.  They are not as warm as the Sugoi Sub-Zeros, but they are VERY long.  I have pretty stubby legs and there is probably an extra 3-4" of material on these.  I like them for days when it's in the 30s.  Colder than that and I go for my warmer tights.  I just wish they had ankle zips and a pocket of some sort.

~ Sarah Kay

I love my CW-X tights and my Balega wool socks.  Just started wearing wool socks two weeks ago and have smartwool and balega.  Both are good, but I like the Balega's a little more. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Balega makes wool socks?  Huh.  Merino?  I may have to give these a try.  But if they are something other than merino, no go...too itchy.

~ Sarah Kay

Balega makes wool socks?  Huh.  Merino?  I may have to give these a try.  But if they are something other than merino, no go...too itchy.

Yeah, I didn't realize that either....definitely checking them out.  So mad about all my new Smartwools.  Grrrrr.

Feeling the growl again

-Sporthill pants I have had for almost 10 years and sown back together 3 times in the wear areas (they need it again)

-Various weight synthetic shirts, mostly from races over the years but a couple I bought new from stores (also old as dirt)

-Cheap tights

-Wind briefs

-Cotton gloves I got at a race year ago bet have never found their equal for above freezing

-Yoko XC ski gloves for colder/windier weather

-Bulk WalMart cotton socks

-Various running hats (usually wear 2)

-Windproof vests (2)

-Lightweight windproof shell, prize from a race

The average age of a piece of my running clothes is probably 5 years.  I wash them when I can stand stuff on its own in the corner.  It lasts longer that way.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

for today's 15 miler with temps at -11º at the start:

-15 year-old InSport goretex jacket

-Walmart thinsulate mittens

-wool neck gaiter

-Hot hands hand warmers and Toasty toes feet warmers

-Wool beanie cap from a local road race

-Hind tights---thick and lined with micro-fleece

My wife just started a HM training group with Fleet Feet and they had a buy 3 get 1 free deal for the training participants.  She gave me the 1 free pair.  Anyway, it's called Balega Woolen Runner.  I'm looking at the package now and it contains 32% Acrylic, 27% wool, 12% polyamide, and 2% nylon.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My wife just started a HM training group with Fleet Feet and they had a buy 3 get 1 free deal for the training participants.  She gave me the 1 free pair.  Anyway, it's called Balega Woolen Runner.  I'm looking at the package now and it contains 32% Acrylic, 27% wool, 12% polyamide, and 2% nylon.

Cool.  I will have to look for these.  If they are cheaper than Smartwools and work as well I'd be a happy girl.

~ Sarah Kay

Cool.  I will have to look for these.  If they are cheaper than Smartwools and work as well I'd be a happy girl.

$13 at FF. I'm sure you can find them cheaper online...maybe Runningwarehouse.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

$13 at FF. I'm sure you can find them cheaper online...maybe Runningwarehouse.

Looks like they have them for about $11.  That's about as cheap as I usually find Smartwools, too.  Sometimes I can find Smartwools for cheaper, but not often.

~ Sarah Kay