Low BMI, body weight and excessive exercise.....unhealthy????? (Read 1700 times)

I just finished taking one of those overall "health surveys", (things I typically stay away from), and was amazed that it actually gave me bad marks for having a low BMI, (20.4), low weight (154lbs), and that I exercise too much! If anything, I thought I would come in way below the normal score. I`m 6`-1" and I know there are a lot of runners out there much leaner and lighter weight than I am. If I figured right, I could weigh 148 lbs and still be at a low normal for my BMI, not that I have any desire to. How about your guy`s thoughts on this? I know I have seen questions on here somewhere before regarding too much exercise being "unhealthy", and remarks about people looking "sickly." I think the test that I took actually thought I was sick or something, as it said I need to address my being underweight with my Doctor. I see my doctor often. He knows exactly how heavy I am! I don`t know, maybe there are some of us that do exercise too much. How much would one consider "too much?" Maybe I`ve just had too much time off with this knee issue!! Confused
    "I never said it was going to be easy. I only said it would be worth it."

#artbydmcbride

I'd stay away from those 'Is Your Relationship all it Should Be?' questionnaires in magazines too. Big grin Get that knee healthy and get back to running.

Runners run

Hannibal Granite

Go with what your doctor thinks, not some random internet test that puts everybody on the same scale. Clearly you are on the skinny side of the spectrum, but as long as you are eating correctly there is nothing to worry about.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hmm, I think we need a larger photo of you shirtless so that we can all judge! Big grin Any of you other guys are welcome to post, also.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

According to the BMI scales and studies, your BMI is not abnormally low until it is below 18.5. Studies have shown that mortality is higher among folks with a BMI < 18.5 than it is among folks with a bmi of 18.5-30. a bmi of 20.4 should be fine. 18.5="" than="" it="" is="" among="" folks="" with="" a="" bmi="" of="" 18.5-30.="" a="" bmi="" of="" 20.4="" should="" be=""></ 18.5 than it is among folks with a bmi of 18.5-30. a bmi of 20.4 should be fine.>
              Thats very interesting Trent. Thanks for sharing. I guess it is in my best interest to stay above150 lbs. As far as the larger "shirtless" pics are concerned, I would hate to scare everyone away fom this forum!

#artbydmcbride

Don't worry, we don't scare easy. Smile

Runners run

Running Dad

Hmm, I think we need a larger photo of you shirtless so that we can all judge! Big grin Any of you other guys are welcome to post, also.
                  Let me lose the last 15 and I'm all there! Wink
                  Things to do this year:
                  Not get an injury
                  Things done this year:
                  Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
                  xor

Ok, between this thread and what's going on over in Masters, I request tasteful photos of The Women of Running Ahead. Fair's fair.

Ok, between this thread and what's going on over in Masters, I request tasteful photos of The Women of Running Ahead. Fair's fair.
                      But then we open up a whole new discussion of what everyone considers "tasteful" Wink

Feeling the growl again

According to the BMI scales and studies, your BMI is not abnormally low until it is below 18.5. Studies have shown that mortality is higher among folks with a BMI < 18.5="" than="" it="" is="" among="" folks="" with="" a="" bmi="" of="" 18.5-30.="" a="" bmi="" of="" 20.4="" should="" be="" />
                        And this introduces the whole correlative vs. causitive discussion. Just because a study shows higher mortality among a population with a BMI of 18.5 does not necessarily say any individual is at a higher risk with a BMI of 18.5. The study only pertains to the population included, and most of these correlative studies never look into the cause. Perhaps in the population studied, people with BMI below 18.5 were only that low because they were anorexic, smoked too much, or had other health problems -- not because they ran a lot. Consequently those findings could be completely meaningless if the reason your BMI is low differs from the reasons behind the study BMIs being low. Besides, do you really want to take health advice on your BMI from a calculator designed and written by someone who probably has never run and is overweight? They could be the same people who tell you your knees will be gone in a few years.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I just finished taking one of those overall "health surveys", (things I typically stay away from), and was amazed that it actually gave me bad marks for having a low BMI, (20.4), low weight (154lbs), and that I exercise too much! If anything, I thought I would come in way below the normal score. I`m 6`-1" and I know there are a lot of runners out there much leaner and lighter weight than I am. If I figured right, I could weigh 148 lbs and still be at a low normal for my BMI, not that I have any desire to. How about your guy`s thoughts on this? I know I have seen questions on here somewhere before regarding too much exercise being "unhealthy", and remarks about people looking "sickly." I think the test that I took actually thought I was sick or something, as it said I need to address my being underweight with my Doctor. I see my doctor often. He knows exactly how heavy I am! I don`t know, maybe there are some of us that do exercise too much. How much would one consider "too much?" Maybe I`ve just had too much time off with this knee issue!! Confused
                          The healthy BMI range is 18.5 to 25. If the doctor hasn't brought it up with you, then you're probably fine. Smile The skinny end of fine, but fine nonetheless.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And this introduces the whole correlative vs. causitive discussion.
                            Correct. And we must remember that the large population-based studies in which these findings were determined may have included many people who had low BMI (i.e., <18.5) because they also had life-threatening chronic illnesses such as hepatitis, hiv and cancer. this may make low bmi mortality even harder to figure. because="" they="" also="" had="" life-threatening="" chronic="" illnesses="" such="" as="" hepatitis,="" hiv="" and="" cancer.="" this="" may="" make="" low="" bmi="" mortality="" even="" harder="" to=""></18.5) because they also had life-threatening chronic illnesses such as hepatitis, hiv and cancer. this may make low bmi mortality even harder to figure.>
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And this introduces the whole correlative vs. causitive discussion. Just because a study shows higher mortality among a population with a BMI of 18.5 does not necessarily say any individual is at a higher risk with a BMI of 18.5.
                              I usually explain this with a simple example -- e.g., notice that everybody you see who eats on a regular basis in whichever population you choose, winds up dying - so you conclude that eating causes death -- or you figure out the difference between correlation and causation Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, but in our society, most mortality and excess morbidity DOES result from eating. Just sayin'