No longer a Clydesdale!! (Read 1146 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

FINALLY! I stepped on the scale yesterday morning, and it read 199.8. Three weeks of running, and focusing more on healthy eating has paid off. I resisted the urge to post yesterday, in case it was a fluke (that happened about a week ago), but this morning was even better - 199.0! Cool Six gone, only 39-49 more to go. Hopefully as I increase miles and consistency they'll keep melting away.

Former runner

Congratulations on getting below 200. Big grin I'm hoping to get out of the Clydesdale class by the end of the summer.

Ross

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Way to go! I've lost 35 pounds and am managing to keep it off - running is the key for me. There was a short thing in Runner's World about runners who STOP running and put on weight. To lose it again, men have to start running 15.5 miles a week, and women have to go 30 miles a week!! Boy, life isn't fair. I guess it just shows the importance of continuing to run!
          Congrats! Welcome to the Onederland Club.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

The Greatest of All Time

Congratulations!!! That weigh in should be a considerable motivation to keep at because you now know what's possible.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            colinw

Wow, I don't think I will ever get to that point! I started off about 9 months ago at 287, and as of this morning weight in at 238. I have a long way to go, but my target was 220. At 6'5", I am not too sure I am interested in going that much lower. Nice work on your weight loss though, I am sure it has helped your running a lot.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Colin - great job yourself! One more pound and you'll have lost 50! Bonkin - Onederland - I like that! (Now, is that pronounced oh-NEE-der-land?) My only (VERY TINY) regret is that I reached the goal before my first race. Now I am not eligible to compete for those extra prizes in that category in this race. Blush
                  Bonkin - Onederland - I like that! (Now, is that pronounced oh-NEE-der-land?) My only (VERY TINY) regret is that I reached the goal before my first race. Now I am not eligible to compete for those extra prizes in that category in this race. Blush
                  I pronounce it One-der-land. The one part is for the first number in your weight for anyone wondering. I can't claim it though - I heard it from JeffGoBlue. When is your first race? Because if it's close - you may still qualify when you add in your running shoes and clothes. Just sayin'.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

My race is this Sunday - good point on the shoes and clothes. I picked up on the One as in now I'm starting my weight with a "1". I probably should have been more clear - I was making reference to the Tom Hanks movie "That Thing You Do", where the band highlighted in the movie called themselves the Wonders, but spelled it as the Oneders, and all the radio DJs kept pronouncing it as the Oh-NEE-ders...

A Saucy Wench

congrats!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Go ho or go home

Congrats on sub-200. Good luck on your upcoming race. On on.
                        PDoe

Not to rain on your parade but, most Clydesdale cut-offs are at 190#. Don't ask me why I know. Be big, be proud! You can still be fast. Just ask the 'little fast people' to race you with a 40# back pack on and see who wins! But congrats on the weight loss. It is very tough.
                          JakeKnight

Not to rain on your parade but, most Clydesdale cut-offs are at 190#. Don't ask me why I know.
                            I've personally never seen a Clydesdale/Athena category that wasn't 200 lbs/150 lbs. So I went looking. And while most of the races I checked were at those standards, I found some at 190. Or 185. Or 195. So I looked further. Here's what I found:
                            How did you pick 200 lbs /150 lbs as weight limits for Clydesdale/Filly divisions? The current category names and weight limits are aligned with the USA Clydesdale/Filly Association guidelines.
                            Source: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/HalfMarathon/Home/AboutTheRace/FAQs There is actually a website called Clydesdale.org. They have great race reports and pictures of some, uh, stouter runners ... but, of course, no clearly specified standards. So I e-mailed the guy in charge. I'll see if he can help. If not, I'll bet he knows some great Italian restaurants. The always completely reliable Wikipedia agrees with the 200 pound limit - although this in reference to triathlons (and note the quibbling at the end there):
                            "Clydesdale" athletes are generally those men over 200 pounds, while "Athena" athletes are generally women over 150 pounds. These weight based divisions are not officially sanctioned in any of the professional or Olympic events.
                            Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triathlon But then it gets a little hinkier:
                            The Clydesdale Division in running is for male runners who are over a certain weight. Unfortunately that weight is not completely standardized. In some places, the minimum weight for a Clydesdale division runner is 165 lbs. The International Triathlon Union (ITU) Technical Commission, on the other hand, states that a Clydesdale athlete must be at least 198 lbs. Most races advertise the weight requirement for Clydes divisions on the race sign up. Otherwise, it's a good idea to ask.
                            Source: http://running.about.com/od/arunnersglossary/g/clydesgloss.htm ------------------------ Well that should clear everything up. Roll eyes Bottom line: by my executive decree, MGerwien up there is no longer a Clydesdale and should celebrate with copious amounts of (light) beer. But he should also not be surprised when his next race director disagrees.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Gee, thanks, soxfan Angry (just kidding) Smile. I haven't run into a race around me that has a 190# cutoff. The ones I've looked at around here that have a separate division mark the limit for men at 200. But, hopefully soon I'll be below the 190 limit as well (maybe even in time for my next race next month). JK - Thanks for the (always) extensive research, and the decree. Where do I send you my fee for my certificate? Big grin If we ever hit a race together, the next (light) beer is on me!
                                Congratulations Michael! Smile

Michelle