question withdrawn (Read 1255 times)

A Saucy Wench

I was in the middle of posting hours ago, but kiddos beckoned. ITBS and bursitis can also be helped greatly by stretching and improved flexibility. Ask your doc for a short PT referral if your insurance will cover. Otherwise google itbs and you can find lots of references. Also --you did a pretty steep ramp to the 20 miler. Often the best treatment is more support miles for long runs and ramping mileage slower. ITBS is classic for beginning marathon programs that dont have as much base mileage. lots of luck!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Oh Mighty Wing

Thanks Drew. I suppose I should have, but it got some 66 views and no reply and I thought "Maybe this is utterly idiotic". Plus, I must have some inexplicable need for the cool people on this forum not to think I'm uncool. I pictured them looking at this and going IS this guy? In any event, originally I posted that I went to the orthopedist for hip tightness and subsequent knee soreness. He diagnosed it as bursitis and ITBS and prescribed antinflammatories and physical therapy. I asked his view of running and he said he wouldn't recommend that one take it up. I am 31yo, 5' 6", 161 lb and my kneecaps point outward. I thought maybe I should lose weight before running or not do it altogther because I am not biomechanically built for it. I was wondering whether others had input.
      I say find another doctor... preferably one who respects runners... my doctor was a runner who sent me to a PT for an instable knee (which caused pain in my knee and a tight IT band) and the PT while he doesn't necessarily likes running put me back out on the road and said he would help me get back to my training agenda! SO in the least if you can't find one who actually runs you need one who respects that you run!!!
      FastTalkingFatty

try this and find a physical therapist to help: http://optp.com/index.cfm/pageid/243 The foam roller helped me with a tight hip rotator that was leading to ITB soreness. Good Luck

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/

Thank you all for these generous replies!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

When I saw this empty thread I felt obligated, as a Michigander, to come in here and play around. Clowning around Instead, I find a real discussion going on...very cool indeed! I don't really have anything new to add except to reiterate that you definitely should get a second opinion with a different doctor. If your doctor is discouraging patients from taking up running, he is not basing his decision on the scientific evidence, but on his personal feelings. Doctors are human just like the rest of us, so it's always good to get more than one perspective.
              I think part of my thinking was influenced by reading the Dean Karnazes memoir, "Ultramarathon Man". It seemed as though he simply had great biomechanics, built up his miles slowly and just ran and ran and ran...He claims he's never had an injury. Are there other distance runners out there who have *never* had an injury? What have been your guiding principles? For those have had that one or two bad injuries but haven't had one for a long time, what have you learned?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are there other distance runners out there who have *never* had an injury?
                Define "injury." I've never been completely sidelined, but I have had nagging issues here and there...stuff that slows me down, but doesn't stop me. And I am NOT a "natural" runner. My build is pretty much the complete opposite of the body type of most elite runners.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Define "injury." I've never been completely sidelined, but I have had nagging issues here and there...stuff that slows me down, but doesn't stop me. And I am NOT a "natural" runner. My build is pretty much the complete opposite of the body type of most elite runners.
                  Interesting. When these issues came up, how did you know it was a matter of slowing down rather than stopping altogether? I'm guessing you simply ran, felt the nag, kept going and it sort of went away, right?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting. When these issues came up, how did you know it was a matter of slowing down rather than stopping altogether? I'm guessing you simply ran, felt the nag, kept going and it sort of went away, right?
                    Pretty much. Most of the pains I have had have been more "twingey," not stabbing or severe. I have shortened runs and taken an extra day off to be safe...seems to be working. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lisa3.1

Double IPA Please!

I am 31yo, 5' 6", 161 lb and my kneecaps point outward. I thought maybe I should lose weight before running or not do it altogther because I am not biomechanically built for it. I was wondering whether others had input.
                        I have issues with my knees as well- Both my kneecaps tilt and sit over to the side a bit- my R much more pronounced than my L. I tape. I tape my kneecap down on my R and then tape it again to move the cap over so that it sits a little better therefore making it glide easier the way it should. My left cap I just tape to pull it over a bit. I have patellafemoral Syndrome. My Ortho never once told me to stop running..I go to PT so that they can help me strengthen my quads as well as some really good hip flexor stretches as well as some core work. I also have inserts in my neutral shoes- as we feel that I don't need any real motion control shoes. Down the road if all this does not help any (which it has by leaps and bounds) then they want me to move into custom orthodics.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Can i test a post here Done, thanks.