What keeps you motivated when the weather goes to hell? (Read 1202 times)

Scout7

My general tactic is to blow off my runs, get out of shape, mildly depressed, and mope around for a while until I get so miserable that the pain of slogging my out-of-shape body down the road looks downright joyful in comparison to the pale, pathetic existence that my life has become.
    It's better than writing a dissertation, now isn't it?

Why is it sideways?

It's better than writing a dissertation, now isn't it?
      Hell's yeah.
      Scout7

Hell's yeah.
        See? Bright side, sparky.
        invisible

I prefer running in crappy weather so my motivation is just the tired factor, not the weather. My best run this year was the one in the pouring rain where I stepped into calf-deep water (overflowing storm drain) because I was looking at some cute Christmas lights. When I got home my husband said my eyelashes were clumped together they were so wet, and slightly frozen. It was awesome. I laughed out loud when I stepped in that mini-lake. I squished the last 1.5 miles home, it was very fun. Big grin I'm crazy, I know. But I don't think I'd have the kahones to run in the ice or snow, so my hats off to you, Zoomie!! We don't get weather like that very often. We have lots of ice in the morning but I run in the evening and it's usually gone by then.
          I love you! Smile I also love running in inclement weather. I think I posted it on this forum already, but my most memorable run was in a -35 blizzard. If anyone is familiar with the (first) "Alien" movie; it was like that planet where they found the crashed ship full of 'Alien' eggs. Smile Last Spring I was running off trail through a forest and I thought I was going to run through some leaves on a puddle. The next thing I knew, I was waist deep in water. It didn't bother me at all. Having an adventure is what motivates me to go out the door.
          90 percent of the game is not giving up.
            I love you! Smile I also love running in inclement weather. I think I posted it on this forum already, but my most memorable run was in a -35 blizzard. If anyone is familiar with the (first) "Alien" movie; it was like that planet where they found the crashed ship full of 'Alien' eggs. Smile Last Spring I was running off trail through a forest and I thought I was going to run through some leaves on a puddle. The next thing I knew, I was waist deep in water. It didn't bother me at all. Having an adventure is what motivates me to go out the door.
            That was pretty unlucky that there was waist deep water in a -35 blizzard.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

invisible

Different run, obviously.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bliss ninny. Big grin
                Well, look at my avatar! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

Well, look at my avatar! Big grin
                  Hot bliss ninny.
                    Different run, obviously.
                    Ahh, my bad. My reading comprehension is lacking. Plus I have a cold.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

I guess it depends what you consider nasty weather. We've had some cold stuff, but only briefly in the double digits below 0F. I'll alternate snowshoe running on many trails with regular running on trails with harder-packed snow or on roads while doing errands around town. If it gets icy, like it may do soon here after 2 days of warmth (20-40F above 0), then it could be a problem. While much of the snow has been cold and soft, it's been light snow on top a base. An advantage of heavily used trails or groomed trails is that they'll develop a base before other trails do. I'll see folks out most days - runners, mtn bikers, xc skiers, mushers, etc. Now freezing rain, water on top of ice, and that kind of stuff. Yea, that's a pain. The thing that does keep my motivated is knowing how miserable my summer race will be if I'm not adequately trained. I maintained good mileage last winter and so far have been doing more this year, building on last year's strength. Hoping to do better in races this summer.
                      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      invisible

Ahh, my bad. My reading comprehension is lacking. Plus I have a cold.
                        It's the colds fault! We can agree on "Hot bliss ninny", though, right? Smile
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hot bliss ninny.
                          I clean up well. I don't look much like that IRL... Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

It's the colds fault! We can agree on "Hot bliss ninny", though, right? Smile
                            Absolutely. It's very wise to never disagree with Jeff. He knows lots of big words.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Blush Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

I clean up well. I don't look much like that IRL... Tongue
                                It's all about the smile.