What keeps you motivated when the weather goes to hell? (Read 1202 times)

Coming to this site, it's sort of like an A,A, meeting ....I'm guessing Wink. If I'm driving somewhere and I notice someone running on a day I was going to just pass on. I think what the hell? Next thing you know I'm out there!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Knowing that I'm getting faster and faster while 2 of my XC teammates are playing tennis. Just wanting to have that "perfect" season where awesome times are ran.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Coming to this site, it's sort of like an A,A, meeting ....I'm guessing Wink. If I'm driving somewhere and I notice someone running on a day I was going to just pass on. I think what the hell? Next thing you know I'm out there!
        It's like good peer pressure! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Man, it's 40 degrees , dry and sunny here. Perfect. Why am I not out there? I suck!

- Anya

invisible

Well, it's 9 F here and I'm going out the door in an hour. It'll be my first run in 2 weeks (flu) and I really don't feel like it, but I know that once I'm out, it'll be O. K. and that when I get back, I'll be glad that I ran.
            90 percent of the game is not giving up.
            ymmv

what gets me out there early in the morning in any kind of weather? ...knowing my running buddy will be there!
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Looking at my photos from March, 2007, before I lost 30 pounds. Shocked

Contrary to the forecasts, this morning was perfect for running. The snowmobiles packed down the trails really well since Wednesday, which then froze, giving the trails a "slightly soft" road sort of crunchiness. It was also about 15 degrees warmer than I had thought it would be at the start of the run. It was 10 degrees near the start of the run.
                  I turned a corner last night onto a road which is a slight downhill slope -- turns out that all that glistening wet was really the day's melt water turned back to ice. In my struggle to stay on my feet, I slid across the road in front of a truck with a plow pulling up to the intersection. He did a great job stopping and missing me, with the bonus that I was able to grab onto one of these posts they have at the end of the plows to not fall down. Whew!
                  That's why I put screws in the bottom of my shoes. Grip is nice.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

invisible

I'm back. It was a great run from beginning to end.
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Contrary to the forecasts, this morning was perfect for running. The snowmobiles packed down the trails really well since Wednesday, which then froze, giving the trails a "slightly soft" road sort of crunchiness. It was also about 15 degrees warmer than I had thought it would be at the start of the run. It was 10 degrees near the start of the run. That's why I put screws in the bottom of my shoes. Grip is nice.
                      Blaine, I was very irritated at the forecasters! I planned my day around running at the Y because of that horrible forecast. I promised my kids they could swim while I ran on the treadmill. It was annoying to walk outside this afternoon and discover that I should have run! Oh, well. I got in 7.1 miles, which is the farthest I've gone so far. I'm glad you had a good run! Teresa
                      invisible

Don't get mad at the messenger, but the forecast just indicates what to wear. This messenger also reminds you of that old saying: "Inclement weather is a stop sign for wimps." Smile
                          What keeps you motivated when the weather goes to hell? Absolutely nothing.
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Don't get mad at the messenger, but the forecast just indicates what to wear. This messenger also reminds you of that old saying: "Inclement weather is a stop sign for wimps." Smile
                            Yep, I'm a wimp when they say -15 to -20 with wind chill, I'll admit it! Now if it were -10 with NO wind, I might consider going. Running into wind is so miserable it's not worth it to me.
                            invisible

To each his/her own, of course, but even -25 wind chill can be anything from 5 above with a 60 mph wind to -10 with a 10 mph wind. I'd much rather run in the later than the former. Smile

Blaine, I was very irritated at the forecasters!
                                I might plan some general workouts around forecasts, but I don't trust them and never have. I know what the weather is like when I look out the window and see. I might check a radar image, or see what it says the temp is somewhere at the moment when I'm traveling. I hope you got (or get) out there today; it's beautiful. It was 13° in Falmouth this morning, but very little wind so it was a pretty pleasant run.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)