Minimalist or zero drop shoes (Read 173 times)

Momentum

When the minimalist shoe became popular following the publication of Christopher McDougall's book Born to Run, I found these shoes actually made running more comfortable to me than the running shoes I had been wearing up to that point.  The pain in my shins went away, and my speed increased rapidly as a result.  I never experienced any of the issues some runners reported when they switched to this style of shoe.  However, I recently went to purchase replacement shoes for my New Balance Minimus that I have been wearing for about 600 miles plus CrossFit workouts.  Of the two running specialty stores within a 45 minute drive of my house, one does not carry any minimalist or zero drop shoes (this is the close one and the one I have been shopping at since I moved to the area 8 years ago), and the other one only had one model available, Altra One 2.5's.

Can someone explain the sudden unavailability of minimalist and/or zero drop running shoes?  Does anyone have any suggestions for the replacement of my New Balance Minimus shoes, which my size is not available even on their website?

mikeymike

Can someone explain the sudden unavailability of minimalist and/or zero drop running shoes?  Does anyone have any suggestions for the replacement of my New Balance Minimus shoes, which my size is not available even on their website?

I suspect they weren't selling and thus endeth the fad. However, Merrell still makes a bunch of really low, zero drop shoes if you're into that sort of thing.

Runners run

kilkee

runktrun

New Balance has some neutral shoes of with soles of various thicknesses that are 4-8mm drops.  Not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe worth a try.  It seems like the maximal cushioning of Hokas has merged with the minimalist fad to create low drop shoes with cushioning.  I believe Saucony has some as well.  Topo is a spin off of Altra and makes low and no drop shoes.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

The Thunder

New Balance has some neutral shoes of with soles of various thicknesses that are 4-8mm drops.  Not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe worth a try.  It seems like the maximal cushioning of Hokas has merged with the minimalist fad to create low drop shoes with cushioning.  I believe Saucony has some as well.  Topo is a spin off of Altra and makes low and no drop shoes.

I wouldn't exactly say that Topo is a "spin off" of Altra...Tony Post has been around the shoe biz a lot longer than Altra has...and he was quite influential in the Vibram love fest of yore.

But they are similar in some ways.  Smile

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I wouldn't exactly say that Topo is a "spin off" of Altra...Tony Post has been around the shoe biz a lot longer than Altra has...and he was quite influential in the Vibram love fest of yore.

Oh, these look promising!

steph  

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Oh, these look promising!

FWIW, I'm a fan of Topo (and was an early adopter).

Unfortunately, I've only been able to make the Fli-Lytes work. The Tribute looked like it'd be great, but the upper material is stiffer than that of the Fli-Lyte and so impinges (folding back on itself and rubbing) where the toes bend.

As for being "similar in some ways" to Altras - the Topos seem to have a bit tighter fit, hugging the mid foot (kind of like Merrell's barefoot line), but with room in the toe box. (To me, Altras fit like shoe boxes, very sloppy; which is not to say that the Torin 2.0 hasn't made a darn fine 50+ mile shoe for me.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Feeling the growl again

Other than the desire to try on, why limit yourself to buying at a brick-and-mortar store?  Several places (including Zappos) have free shipping, and it's just a bit of a pain to return if you don't like them.  I find the availability of the shoes I like almost nonexistent at local stores.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kilkee

runktrun

I was glossing over the longer explanation.  He started Topo in 2013.

Momentum

Other than the desire to try on, why limit yourself to buying at a brick-and-mortar store?  Several places (including Zappos) have free shipping, and it's just a bit of a pain to return if you don't like them.  I find the availability of the shoes I like almost nonexistent at local stores.

I wasn't limiting myself to brick and mortar stores, but other than New Balance (whose website doesn't have my size), Altra, Inov-8, and Vibram 5-Fingers (which I don't like and don't fit well), I don't know of too many other minimalist shoes that are still available.  I had heard of Merrel, but never tried on their shoes.

I do like the idea of trying on shoes prior to purchase due to my funky feet (I have a bunion on my left foot, but not my right).

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

FWIW, I'm a fan of Topo (and was an early adopter).

Unfortunately, I've only been able to make the Fli-Lytes work. The Tribute looked like it'd be great, but the upper material is stiffer than that of the Fli-Lyte and so impinges (folding back on itself and rubbing) where the toes bend.

As for being "similar in some ways" to Altras - the Topos seem to have a bit tighter fit, hugging the mid foot (kind of like Merrell's barefoot line), but with room in the toe box. (To me, Altras fit like shoe boxes, very sloppy; which is not to say that the Torin 2.0 hasn't made a darn fine 50+ mile shoe for me.)

Thanks

steph  

DantheMan

Be sure to check out BedRock Sandals. They are great! You may have to build up a nice callous on the top of your foot first, but I enjoy my pair.

https://bedrocksandals.com/

-Find your happy pace.

The Thunder

I was glossing over the longer explanation.  He started Topo in 2013.

Yea but his start was waaaay before Topo.

Hobby Jogger Especial!

Depending on how wide your feet are, you may want to check out Inov-8 F-lite 195 (3 mm drop) (get the S model, its wider) and Merrell Bare Access (zero drop, 13mm stack height).

I'm using the Merrell Vapor Glove 2 and I really like them.

kilkee

runktrun

Yea but his start was waaaay before Topo.

Perhaps you missed my intent: people are more familiar with Altra as the zero drop brand, Topos hit the market shortly after Altras.  I was talking about the brand, not Tony.

The Thunder

I got what you're saying...I'm just trying to make the point that even though Altra has been around longer, Tony (who basically is Topo) has been in the "minimal" footwear game longer than Altra has.  That's all.  I think we both made our points, and mine is dumb anyway.  I'm just caught up on semantics.  Ignore me.  Most people do and are much better for it.  Smile