Cold weather gear (Read 1209 times)

runtolive

Need some suggestions for cold weather (less than 25 F) running tights/pants.

I'm a newbie -- running only 2 years, 20 miles/wk.  This is the first week I've had to run on the treadmill since March and I hate it.  Yes, I have TV and all the amenities, but running inside is just boring as hell.   I need to find some warmer clothing so I can get outside at least once/wk so I don't lose the mileage.  Snow, rain, cooler weather doesn't usually bother me, but less than 25F with a slight wind chill (or worse) is not fun when the legs start aching.

I currently have "cold gear" compression tights -- all the way to the ankles -- and wear shorts over them (mostly b/c I'm not a size 4) Big grin, but this is not warm enough.  I have sweat-wicking hats, gloves, mock Ts, etc...so the only thing that gets cold is my thighs.

Can you all make some suggestions?  Thanks.

Prince of Fatness

Maybe some wicking compression shorts under the tights.  Layers are key and that would be another layer.

Not at it at all. 

This reminds me. I'm no wimp when it comes to the cold. I'm outside pretty much no matter what and not over-dressed. But I'm curious about something. 

I always see guys running/jogging half naked when the temps are in the 20s. Short shorts, racing singlet, maybe a sweatband around their head. Do they have some physiological abnormality that allows/requires they run half naked in the cold? I see this a lot at races around here too in the winter months. Does their engine just run a little hot or are they just trying to be a badass? Ya know, like the drunken shirtless fools at Ralph Wilson stadium?

</threadjack>

This week I've been running in sprinter shorts with full length running tights over the top. On my top half a merino base layer with nylon windproof/showerproof (with a high neck) over the top. Thick wool socks under my running shoes. Thick gloves (and some thin ones to change to if my hands get too hot). Nylon skull cap with  peaked hat on top. If it was a bit colder I'd take a buff

The other thing is to make sure that you've got all your clobber on inside the house so that you don't cool down whilst you're pulling on hat, gloves etc.

For training runs always err on the side of taking too much - it's no big deal if you have tie something round your waist or put it in a pocket.

an amazing likeness

As someone who does quite a few months of my runs during the year in cold weather, my suggestion is that you look into the running pants from companies like Sporthill.   I find having that having some of the tights and a lighter and heavier pair of Sporthill running pants gives all the mix-n-match variety needed to handle anything from 40F to below 0F in all weather.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I always see guys running/jogging half naked when the temps are in the 20s. Short shorts, racing singlet, maybe a sweatband around their head. Do they have some physiological abnormality that allows/requires they run half naked in the cold? I see this a lot at races around here too in the winter months. Does their engine just run a little hot or are they just trying to be a badass?

You know, I tend to be one of those guys.......when I run, i seem to warm up more than other runners (dont know why).    Last Jan 1st, I ran a 5 mile race (live in Massachusetts) and I was the only one in a short sleeved t-shirt.....everyone else was wearing layers, golves, jackets and all.....

I'm 58, 5' 6" and 140lbs...so Im definitely not trying to be a badass....    I just get hot when I run and usually dont need all those clothes....

Champions are made when no one is watching

As someone who does quite a few months of my runs during the year in cold weather, my suggestion is that you look into the running pants from companies like Sporthill.   I find having that having some of the tights and a lighter and heavier pair of Sporthill running pants gives all the mix-n-match variety needed to handle anything from 40F to below 0F in all weather.

I prefer to run outside and I couldn't agree more on the SportHills. I have a pair (Zone 3) and they are honestly too hot for me in temps above 10 unless there is a pretty good windchill. I've used them at -11F with a -20 windchill and was toasty warm in them. For temps above 10, I go with a cheap pair of Champion C9 running tights.

I use a long sleeve tech shirt or a cold weather compression long sleeve shirt with my Brooks Nightlife light weight jacket.

For shoes I have a pair of Sacony Pro Grid Razors and don't wear any special socks with them.

Two pais of gloves (a skretchy knit pair and a convertable fleece pair), a Champion C9 knit hat and a homemade balaclava.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

When it's really cold (< 20F) I wear sweatpants under Nike running pants, a technical jacket, lobster gloves, a balaclava, and a hat.  And that's it.

The running pants block the wind really well.

Bill Wagnon / stl

Prince of Fatness

Another thing to think about besides the temperatures are the other weather conditions.  Is it sunny?  Is it windy?  I've gone out in single digit weather where there was not a cloud in the sky and no wind and have overheated, overdressed.  For windy days I'll take a windbreaker type jacket that zippers up, so into the wind I can zipper it up to keep the wind off of me, but with the wind I can open it up and let some air in.  Also don't underestimate how much the sun can warm you, even in the dead of winter.  Many variables.

Not at it at all. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

and the wolverines -- a bit of sprinting away from them will warm up too

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Wolverines!

hokiemamba

a homemade balaclava.

EVERYTIME I see this word on here I get a giggle fit because my brain reads it as:

hokiemamba

Cuddl Duds or other "silk" long johns work great under running tights... and keep me toasty when it's below 20.  I have Nike Pro tights that are hot if above about 35ish, but are great below that.  Also, agree with the Spring Hill gear.  Good stuff.

+1.  I love Sporthill pants, but the heavy ones can be too much unless it's really cold.

Julia1971

+1 for Sporthill. 

I also like/d a brand called Hind, but I don't think they exist anymore.  I think they merged with Saucony, which is the brand I mostly wear now.  (It mostly stays in the 30s where Iive.  A really cold day would be high 20s).

If you're looking for a specific recommendation, I bought these Saucony Arctic LX Tights a few weeks ago and finally wore them today.  They were a bit too warm for today (mid 30s with 15mph winds), so I think they'll be good for my cold days.  They're a bit heavy and stiff, though.  I wouldn't wear them for anything but slow running.

FWIW, for years I layered a light weight tight over track pants.  I think the track pants helped block the wind and the tights kept me warm.  After a while, though, I didn't want all that bulk.