Newest iPod Touch (Read 902 times)

So, I'm thinking of nixing the whole smart phone idea, and keeping my old crappy phone, and just getting a new iTouch.   I read they now have cameras on them.    My current phone plan is only $40 a month, with unlimited, and have great service, etc.   But, my camera sucks and it has no internet.   I desperately need a new iPod, since mine only has 4gb. 

Is it crazy to carry both a  phone around and an iTouch ?  The reveiws for the new iTouch seem good.   My boyfriend has the old one, and loves his.

- Anya

My son does this. He loves his iTouch.

His old one got ruined in the wash, so he saved his money to get the new one last month. So for a kid (like him) to do this speaks volumes to me about how much he values it.

I think the new iTouch actually has 2 cameras - one on each side.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I carry an old clamshell cell phone for calls and bad pictures.  I carry around an iTouch for internet, calendaring, occasional emails, contacts and occasional games.  I also use my iTouch as an occasional cheap AppleTV.

I also use my iTouch as an occasional cheap AppleTV.

Huh?

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
          • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
          • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

I bought one about a month ago, and love it. 

Before I bought it my wife was pretty much of the opinion "why do you need such a thing?" But, after playing with it a few times, she bought one too. 

The data plan rates for smart phones are too pricey for what I'd use it for.  I don't want to be THAT connected to my work email.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Huh?

Download a movie to your iTouch.  Connect it to your TV.  Watch.  All you need is the cable, no need to buy or use an ATV.

xhristopher

I also use my iTouch as an occasional cheap AppleTV.

I too use an iPod touch and enjoy it but there is a slight flaw in your logic. The Apple TV cost $99 while the iPod touch starts at $229.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You missed the point.  I bought the iTouch to serve other purposes.  It's use as an ATV cost me $0, and was a fortuitous discovery I made after I already owned it.

If I had it to do over again, I'd it this way.  my wife and I were on an old school cell plan.  2 phones $50 w/ more minutes than we could use.  wanted something more so we did 2 iphones @ $199 each and a shiny new $117 (after company discount) plan per month to go with it. 

we really could have bought two ipod Touch devices and saved a ton in the long term. 

nothing to see here.  

xhristopher

You missed the point.  I bought the iTouch to serve other purposes.  It's use as an ATV cost me $0, and was a fortuitous discovery I made after I already owned it.

I got your point just fine. I was just poking you for calling it cheap as compared to the Apple TV. I read into your response implicating it as convenient and value added, which is correct.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I got your point just fine. I was just poking you for calling it cheap as compared to the Apple TV. I read into your response implicating it as convenient and value added, which is correct.

Coolio.

To Joe's point, the only downside I have found is that the iTouch, by definition, requires a wifi signal to get the web.

xhristopher

The only downside I have found is that the iTouch, by definition, requires a wifi signal to get the web.

We've got a mi-fi and it works for our touches, iPad, and MacBook all at once. It's wonderful.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do you carry the mi fi on the road?

xhristopher

Do you carry the mi fi on the road?

Vacations, road trips, commuting, internet radio, etc... It's convenient and very family/friend friendly (value) since we can share the connection.

My wife and I both carry dumb phones, iPod touches, and negotiate with each other for the mi-fi. This will all end with the iphone 5 this summer but we'll have to get tethering on at least one of them.

About the new touch... I got the first gen when it came out and used it until the 4th gen came out. We've also got an iPad and can say the 4th gen touch is much more like the iPad than the 1st gen touch. It's really a great device.

About the new touch... I got the first gen when it came out and used it until the 4th gen came out. We've also got an iPad and can say the 4th gen touch is much more like the iPad than the 1st gen touch. It's really a great device.

This is great news....  I just got to thinking, all the things I really want to do with a phone, is everything but the talking part.    

- Anya